Jon Miller's Instant Reaction of ISU

My worry isn't necessarily JUST QB. I think the OL is not exactly stellar. We CAN'T run to the right, despite the fact we continue to try it. Left isn't much better. Middle is fine when it's 3rd and 1. Usually.

I coulnd't "see" the whole field on TV. Was JR really missing that many open receivers? It sure looked like most ISU sacks were "coverage" vs. "pressure". But again, I can only see what ESPN and a big screen allow.

Until yesterday, when his receiver fell down, Jake Rudock had not thrown an interception.
Compared to the performance, thus far, of the Offensive line, who is suppose to Open holes
& protect the QB, JR has played like a Superstar.
And I think Jake is still our best running back an quarterback.......according to production.

***Greg Davis.....if he is up in the Press Box, perhaps needs to get his fat *** down with team
So far, he has been completely clueless, it seems.

Until yesterday, when his receiver fell down, Jake Rudock had not thrown an interception.
Compared to the performance, thus far, of the Offensive line, who is suppose to Open holes
And I think Jake is still our best running back an quarterback.......according to production.

***Greg Davis.....if he is up in the Press Box, perhaps needs to get his fat *** down with team

No, he really has not played like a superstar.

I'll believe in big changes when I see them.

The only times I recall major changes was when there were no other options or the head had been slammed into the fence post too many times....2004 when Iowa lost all its running backs and 2008 when Kirk went with the gut feeling and played Jake in the second half of the Pitt game...and that was it.

The problem right now is there are so many issues on offense, it's not a make one change at quarterback and problem is solved kind of thing, and there is also no Shonn Greene at running back. The issues on offense are big picture...and I don't have much confidence any more that those things will be dealt with. Hope I'm wrong...really hope I am wrong...but if KF keeps playing this hand, he's done. Or rather, Iowa's ability to compete is done.

...so you're suggesting we go to Iowa City and cripple all of our RBs? Interesting.

Bob, if CJ is not an improvement over JR (meaning, is able to throw deep to open up the box to help our running game and minimize his mistakes; there will be some) then at least we'll know. We go back to JR and KF and GD need to figure a way to open up running lanes; perhaps sh*tcanning the prostyle and going spread. I think JR could thrive in a spread offense. But one thing is as certain as death and taxes, and that is if we do NOT see what CJ can do for an entire game, then we won't ever know!

I agree with everything you said but let's stop calling what Iowa does "pro style." At best it's a bizzar reenactment of 1990s pro football but with no deep threat.

Iowas nonsense looks nothing like a modern pro offense.

All football, accept for Iowa, basically looks like what was once called "spread," that's just regular football on at this point.

So basically what we all want to see is just regular football the way everyone else now plays it.

I don't think JR played like a superstar, either. He had quite a bit of time to make his decisions and wait for people to get open. Maybe 5 - 7 seconds. There were times he had people open, but dumped off short and playing right to the wishes of the ISU defense. No team has respected JR's arm. He probably has good stats, but very little production. JR needs a breakout down-field game to be respected by the other team. It might open up the run, too. Right? (not that an opposing team can't guess when we will run the ball) ;-)

Is Beathard the answer? I don't know. He may be or he may not be. Do we have a lights-out QB on the team?

Iowa has a gimmicky offense--we are zigging when everybody else is zagging.

A gimmicky offense can be successful if other teams can't figure it out.

The problem is that EVERYBODY has figured us out.

Rudocks play has not Been good at all.

He refuses to stand in the pocket and look down field. You have to do that to be a pocket passer.

He freaks out after 2 seconds and tries to get rid of the ball or run.

there were so many times he tried to tuck and run in that second half for no reason.

We haven't even got to stepping up in the pocket to avoid the rush because he can't even handle standing in the pocket when there is no rush.

Why should we just accept the fact that we can't throw the ball with proficiency?

Especially when the problem is largely schematic?

why should we accept an offensive design like this when it is totally unnecessary?

I don't think we should accept a mediocre offense that cannot throw. But I'm saying that if this same team had an NFL prospect caliber running back to carry our running game and offense, things would be a lot different. Obviously there are lots of problems with this team, but the way Iowa is constructed, a good RB and running game changes everything and we don't have that right now. We also don't have an elite QB or the ability to execute a west coast offense. So to run that style offense yields abysmal results

I expect everybody in this thread will be making sizable donations to the AD for KF's buyout. You have so much passion, put your money where your mouth is.

Jon, will you be the first one writing a check?

I agree with much that's been said, but still feel the culprit is our "offensive" scheme.

But for those who think KF doesn't think changes are needed, my guess? We'll see plenty this week.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a QB change. Ditto at RB, with carries being re-distributed.

I also think our biggest problems on D aren't "scheme" as much as "youth". Saying that, We may see minor personnel changes or different groupings.

Now...if the above happens and nothing changes (in terms of "success"), what then?

You say changes will be made because KF is getting blasted from every directions and you think the pressure will force his hand. Two names for you, Jake Christiansen and Vandenberg at QB. It was human torture to watch game after game but pride and stubbornness prevailed.......game after game. What your saying should happen but we have a history here.

I don't think we should accept a mediocre offense that cannot throw. But I'm saying that if this same team had an NFL prospect caliber running back to carry our running game and offense, things would be a lot different. Obviously there are lots of problems with this team, but the way Iowa is constructed, a good RB and running game changes everything and we don't have that right now. We also don't have an elite QB or the ability to execute a west coast offense. So to run that style offense yields abysmal results

sure a great back would help drag this crap offense but backs and lineman good enough to be productive with the odds stacked against you by this scheme are few and far between.

There's no reason to have an offense designed so poorly that it can only work with great players in the first place.

KF doesn't deserve any more excuses or passes. He had a chance, when KOK left, to go in a modern common sense direction and he choose instead to collaborate with an incompetent old man and design an O that even Iowa state can defend.

I expect everybody in this thread will be making sizable donations to the AD for KF's buyout. You have so much passion, put your money where your mouth is.

Jon, will you be the first one writing a check?

Nope. I've not called for Kirk's ouster nor am I ready to. Greg Davis? I may need to start saving up the aluminum cans.

sure a great back would help drag this crap offense but backs and lineman good enough to be productive with the odds stacked against you by this scheme are few and far between.

There's no reason to have an offense designed so poorly that it can only work with great players in the first place.

KF doesn't deserve any more excuses or passes. He had a chance, when KOK left, to go in a modern common sense direction and he choose instead to collaborate with an incompetent old man and design an O that even Iowa state can defend.

Humiliating, embarrassing, and inexcusable as Jon has pointed out.

Nope. I've not called for Kirk's ouster nor am I ready to. Greg Davis? I may need to start saving up the aluminum cans.

Jon, upon hearing the podcast yesterday you made the point of mentioning that our offenses (sans 2002) routinely blow, irregardless of the offensive coordinator. Do you really feel Greg Davis is to blame for our terrible offensive line play(2014) and marginal rushing stats lo' these many years?

Does this all not start at the top?

Year / avg. rushing yds per attempt / avg. yds per reception

2004 2.0 12.1
2005 4.8 12.6
2006 4.3 12.6
2007 3.5 11.5
2008 4.8 12.6
2009 3.3 13.6
2010 4.3 13.5
2011 3.9 12.7
_______________ G. Davis arrival

2012 3.7 10.1
2013 4.2 12.0
2014 3.6 9.0

I think I'll go with the Davis offensive schemes and play calling as the major culprit. If you buy the fact the teams are loading up against the run (explains the rushing yd avg drop off?) then the passing game should offer up opportunities but that is not happening thus my second choice for limiting our success would then fall on Rudock. I don't believe our talent on the offensive side had digressed. It's much the same group with more experience......likely improved at the WR position.

2012 vs 2014 is really bad, when you consider the 12 teams we played in 2012, and in 2014, it's against Northern Iowa, Ball State and Iowa State, alone.

AR-310319983.jpg

Two points:
1. Greg Davis on a golf cart just sums up the efficiency of our offense.
2. Just looking at Eric's (Johnson) expression, you can see why he came down to the Nashville area to run a Culver's restaurant.
A drive-thru has moves more than the Iowa offense.

Latest posts