Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

There's a difference between cherry picking and missing on 8 players at the same position when you have one scholarship open for it. We've made three NCAA tournaments in a row and will have a player drafted for the third straight year, please don't compare that to ISU football.

You seem to be ignoring which schools these kids actually committed to. There is no shame in not being able to pull a kid out of his home state as playing time might not be the only factor when choosing a school. In fact, a lot of the top recruits probably don't put much stock in that as they feel they can play anywhere. Also, losing out to blue blood schools isn't anything to be ashamed of either, especially when said blue blood schools are considerably closer to the recruits than Iowa. The only recruit that made me somewhat disappointed that Iowa didn't get was Moore but Cal was in on him well before Iowa and had build a solid relationship. It would have been a tough coup for Fran to pry him away.

]

If we sign the best player in the state every single year we will be a pretty good team. In the last 20 years, I wonder how many Iowa Mr. Basketball players ended up not being pretty good D1 players.

Here's the list. People can decide for themselves which players were pretty good in college at D1.

Note - These are the last 20 players named Iowa Mr. Basketball. Other players of note/interest are listed.

2016 - Bohannon
2015 - Tillo
2014 - Lohaus (Baer)
2013 - Jok
2012 - Paige
2011 - Uthoff
2010 - Barnes (McDermott)
2009 - Cougill
2008 - Gatens
2007 - Vette
2006 - Bohannon
2005 - Van Es
2004 - Reed
2003 - McKowen (Henderson)
2002 - Horner (Haluska and Brunner)
2001 - McKinney
2000 - Worley
1999 - Collison/Hinrich (Korver)
1998 - Newman
1997 - Oliver (Davis and Galloway)

Last edited:
You seem to be ignoring which schools these kids actually committed to. There is no shame in not being able to pull a kid out of his home state as playing time might not be the only factor when choosing a school. In fact, a lot of the top recruits probably don't put much stock in that as they feel they can play anywhere. Also, losing out to blue blood schools isn't anything to be ashamed of either, especially when said blue blood schools are considerably closer to the recruits than Iowa. The only recruit that made me somewhat disappointed that Iowa didn't get was Moore but Cal was in on him well before Iowa and had build a solid relationship. It would have been a tough coup for Fran to pry him away.

Green is the only one that went to a blue blood. The other ones are schools you have to beat out to get good players. If you're competing against mid major or bad major conference teams for recruits that's not a good thing

Green is the only one that went to a blue blood. The other ones are schools you have to beat out to get good players. If you're competing against mid major or bad major conference teams for recruits that's not a good thing

The reality in which you are living is fascinating to me. I bet a CAT scan of your brain would yield exciting new discoveries the world has yet to realize.

We don't even know if all 8 if those players had offers where Fran would accept a commitment on the spot.

There is always going to be the people who aren't excited about a recruit that isn't ranked high. That's different than the stuff you're saying 6 months later.

What has changed from when he committed to now? Putting up 8 more points per game in Iowa High School basketball doesn't change my thoughts on it and Fran going after Moore a second time makes me think he knows he needs to upgrade the position

Here's the list. People can decide for themselves which players were pretty good in college at D1.

Note - These are the last 20 players named Iowa Mr. Basketball. Other players of note/interest are listed.

2016 - Bohannon
2015 - Tillo
2014 - Lohaus (Baer)
2013 - Jok
2012 - Paige
2011 - Uthoff
2010 - Barnes (McDermott)
2009 - Cougill
2008 - Gatens
2007 - Vette
2006 - Bohannon
2005 - Van Es
2004 - Reed
2003 - McKowen (Henderson)
2002 - Horner (Haluska and Brunner)
2001 - McKinney
2000 - Worley
1999 - Collison/Hinrich (Korver)
1998 - Newman
1997 - Oliver (Davis and Galloway)

There are some pretty impressive players on this list and this is what you,5665, came up with:

"For recent ones off the top of my head: Tillo, Lohaus, Cougill, Reed, Vette and Van Es. I'm sure there are more"

You completely skipped Jok, Paige, uthoff, Barnes, and McDemott to get to Cougill. Pretty selective memory. Your credibility was already shaky, this pretty much destroys it.

There are some pretty impressive players on this list and this is what you,5665, came up with:

"For recent ones off the top of my head: Tillo, Lohaus, Cougill, Reed, Vette and Van Es. I'm sure there are more"

You completely skipped Jok, Paige, uthoff, Barnes, and McDemott to get to Cougill. Pretty selective memory. Your credibility was already shaky, this pretty much destroys it.

He asked which ones weren't good D1 players so I wasn't going to list the good ones. There's been some great players to come from the state of Iowa recently

Everything lined up for us to land a great PG in this class and we missed. I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed in that

You tell yourself things so many times you believe it to be true. PG was a top target of ours sure, but of the guys you listed I'd be surprised if even half become Great PGs for their respective universities.

I did a quick search on rivals of the PGs from the 2014 class. In the top 50 their were some solid PGs- Tyus Jones, Deangelo Russell, Ulis, Melo Tremble, and Devonte Graham. We know we missed our program changing recruit in Ulis, but do any of those other guys seem like players Iowa would have a reasonable shot at? Ulis has been discussed plenty around here and that is not the point of this post I want you to focus on the following.

Here are the PGs ranked 50- 100 in 2014, which I believe is roughly the range of the PGs you were so frustrated we missed.

51- Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Arizona
57- TJ Haws - BYU
58 - Alex Robinson - Texas A&M
62- Tum Tum Nairn - MSU
67- Josh Perkins - Gonzaga
82- Robert Cartwright - Stanford
85 - Phil Booth - Nova
90- Justin Coleman - Bama
92- Clayton Custer - ISU
93- Dominique Collier - Colorado
94- Marcus Stroman - South Carolina

I may have missed a few as Rivals only notes them as guards, but I surely hadn't heard of any of the guys I would have missed. Do these sound like the can't miss great PGs that this Iowa program needs? As I told you earlier you are way too concerned with recruiting rankings / stars. Those guys above were all four stars. In basketball recruiting after the blue chip type prospects it's pretty much a crapshoot.

You tell yourself things so many times you believe it to be true. PG was a top target of ours sure, but of the guys you listed I'd be surprised if even half become Great PGs for their respective universities.

I did a quick search on rivals of the PGs from the 2014 class. In the top 50 their were some solid PGs- Tyus Jones, Deangelo Russell, Ulis, Melo Tremble, and Devonte Graham. We know we missed our program changing recruit in Ulis, but do any of those other guys seem like players Iowa would have a reasonable shot at? Ulis has been discussed plenty around here and that is not the point of this post I want you to focus on the following.

Here are the PGs ranked 50- 100 in 2014, which I believe is roughly the range of the PGs you were so frustrated we missed.

51- Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Arizona
57- TJ Haws - BYU
58 - Alex Robinson - Texas A&M
62- Tum Tum Nairn - MSU
67- Josh Perkins - Gonzaga
82- Robert Cartwright - Stanford
85 - Phil Booth - Nova
90- Justin Coleman - Bama
92- Clayton Custer - ISU
93- Dominique Collier - Colorado
94- Marcus Stroman - South Carolina

I may have missed a few as Rivals only notes them as guards, but I surely hadn't heard of any of the guys I would have missed. Do these sound like the can't miss great PGs that this Iowa program needs? As I told you earlier you are way too concerned with recruiting rankings / stars. Those guys above were all four stars. In basketball recruiting after the blue chip type prospects it's pretty much a crapshoot.

I don't care about stars and rankings at all, I look at what coaches offer. There are a few good players on that list though.

You are a troll, dude. With the above post it just clicked who you are. I wasn't sure until then, had my doubts, but now I have a good feeling who you are.

5656 = CyTwins

Saying we missed on 8 guys and hit on the 9th (Bohannon) shows you don't understand recruiting. The first group were Frans first targets. So yeah Bohannon wasn't plan A. The top 50-100 kids that Fran offered first were plan A. Bohannon was plan B, he wasn't a last choice or 9th choice like you are pretending. He was basically plan B along with Jackson. Jok was plan B as well, so was Marble, so was White. Plan B's can work out just fine.

5656 = CyTwins

Saying we missed on 8 guys and hit on the 9th (Bohannon) shows you don't understand recruiting. The first group were Frans first targets. So yeah Bohannon wasn't plan A. The top 50-100 kids that Fran offered first were plan A. Bohannon was plan B, he wasn't a last choice or 9th choice like you are pretending. He was basically plan B along with Jackson. Jok was plan B as well, so was Marble, so was White. Plan B's can work out just fine.

I don't know what you mean by the first part but I really don't disagree with what you said. I thought we were in position to land a Plan A recruit and am disappointed we didn't. Plan A recruits pan out a lot more often than Plan B recruits.

I don't care about stars and rankings at all, I look at what coaches offer. There are a few good players on that list though.

A few good players out of 11. Does it make sense for you to be crying this much about missing out on a few players with a potential hit rate of less than 50%? No, not really but you will continue to do so because as others have mentioned, you are either a troll or a fool.

Also, if I'm going to have an average point guard (as most of the guys on that list are), why not have him be 6'6 or a lights out shooter?

What has changed from when he committed to now? Putting up 8 more points per game in Iowa High School basketball doesn't change my thoughts on it and Fran going after Moore a second time makes me think he knows he needs to upgrade the position

8 points more than pretty good can change a player to really good. And again, he won the award for best player in the state since then. That's a pretty big deal and changes my opinion quite a bit. Think about this for a second. The best player in the state, who happens to play a position of great need, was a fallback recruit for Fran. Most coaches would just sign him and call it a day. To me that really shows how hard Fran recruits for the best possible players. To you it just proves that Fran sucks at recruiting because he didn't get his top choice. Or his top 8 choices as you keep saying.

And Moore is a top 100 player. Of course he is going to try for him if he has a chance. If Fran had a good chance at the number 1 power forward in the nation, would that mean he thinks Cook sucks? Or does it just mean he believes you can never have too many good players?

A few good players out of 11. Does it make sense for you to be crying this much about missing out on a few players with a potential hit rate of less than 50%? No, not really but you will continue to do so because as others have mentioned, you are either a troll or a fool.

Also, if I'm going to have an average point guard (as most of the guys on that list are), why not have him be 6'6 or a lights out shooter?

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. An average point guard who is 6'6" has a lot better odds of turning out good than an average point guard who is 6'. Same goes for a really good shooter. If you have to get average, which almost all programs do sometimes, you might as well bring in an average player who excels at something. It worked out great for guys like Marble, White, and Olaseni.

I don't know what you mean by the first part but I really don't disagree with what you said. I thought we were in position to land a Plan A recruit and am disappointed we didn't. Plan A recruits pan out a lot more often than Plan B recruits.

Why be down on Bohannon just because he wasn't plan A? I'd bet you bashed on Pete pretty hard as well when Fran got that "fallback recruit as well.

Latest posts