Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

Why be down on Bohannon just because he wasn't plan A? I'd bet you bashed on Pete pretty hard as well when Fran got that "fallback recruit as well.

I liked the Pete signing even though I will admit I wanted Matthews more. Pete's recruiting was very unique though but he always had the size and upside for his position

I liked the Pete signing even though I will admit I wanted Matthews more. Pete's recruiting was very unique though but he always had the size and upside for his position

But you only look at what coaches offer him so he must've been a failure for Fran. What was your HN handle back then so we can go back and check your comments?

But if we are looking at upside for potential recruits, I'd certainly take Bohannon over Jackson in that category.

But you only look at what coaches offer him so he must've been a failure for Fran. What was your HN handle back then so we can go back and check your comments?

But if we are looking at upside for potential recruits, I'd certainly take Bohannon over Jackson in that category.

I'm not seeing the upside with Bohannon but hopefully I'll be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time

I'm not seeing the upside with Bohannon but hopefully I'll be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time

That doesn't surprise me. I'll take a halfway decent HS recruit coming out of a much improved senior season over a halfway decent JUCO recruit with only 2 years left to play. I think the potential upside is much higher with the HS kid.

There is a pretty good chance Bohannon will be a decent backup point guard his whole career. But his upside is easy to see. He might be a clutch player who always makes the key shot late in the game and closes out games we should win with his 90% free throw shooting. Over Gesell's 4 years here, we probably gave away 3 or 4 games a year because we didn't have that player. Instead of a 7 seed last year we could have been a 3 seed. 3 point shooting is such a huge part of basketball now. Guys like Bohannon can be very important.

There is a pretty good chance Bohannon will be a decent backup point guard his whole career. But his upside is easy to see. He might be a clutch player who always makes the key shot late in the game and closes out games we should win with his 90% free throw shooting. Over Gesell's 4 years here, we probably gave away 3 or 4 games a year because we didn't have that player. Instead of a 7 seed last year we could have been a 3 seed. 3 point shooting is such a huge part of basketball now. Guys like Bohannon can be very important.

I'm more worried about him on the defensive end of the floor. Ellingson shot 92% from the FT line in HS so we did have that guy available on the bench

Defense is mostly hustle and knowing where to be on the court. Those are traits all his brothers had if I'm not mistaken. Ellingson still has 3 years left to contribute as a shooter. If he doesn't, it means he didn't reach his upside. A lot of recruits don't.

I agree. It's too bad 5656 probably won't be around to eat crow a couple years from now. I don't expect Bohannon to be great, but I do expect him to silence a lot of doubters.

After watching nothing but clanked free throws at the end of close games for the past few years it will be refreshing having a guy who can step up to the line and knock them down. I realize he has to prove that he can do that, but I'm betting it will be one of his strengths.
I don't know how his career will turn out, but being great in college is a lot different than being a solid NBA player. There are a lot of highly rated point guards that never really pan out. I think at the very least he will be a solid point guard that will be fun to watch when he is in the games. I enjoyed watching Gesell for four years, but there were times when it wasn't a lot of fun watching him play. Bohannon is going to have a lot better players to play with than Gesell ever did, and I think it will show in his play. Iowa needs some clutch guys that can put games away. They need some guys that when they get ten points ahead they will try to add to their lead instead of expecting the other team to come back. I'm pretty sure Bohannon proved he was a winter in the summer leagues. Didn't his team come in first place with Pemsl and Kriener missing?

I don't know how his career will turn out, but being great in college is a lot different than being a solid NBA player. There are a lot of highly rated point guards that never really pan out. I think at the very least he will be a solid point guard that will be fun to watch when he is in the games. I enjoyed watching Gesell for four years, but there were times when it wasn't a lot of fun watching him play. Bohannon is going to have a lot better players to play with than Gesell ever did, and I think it will show in his play. Iowa needs some clutch guys that can put games away. They need some guys that when they get ten points ahead they will try to add to their lead instead of expecting the other team to come back. I'm pretty sure Bohannon proved he was a winter in the summer leagues. Didn't his team come in first place with Pemsl and Kriener missing?

Gesell played with some pretty good players in his career.

Yep. They need guys who are mentally tough. As much as I hated a guy like Aaron Craft (because he played for the other team) I always had a tremendous amount of respect for the way he played the game. His tenacity. His toughness. His desire to win. You can't teach those things.

All of the Bohannon boys have been productive collegiate basketball players. They play smart and they play hard. One would think that people would recognize that prior to making assumptions about Jordan. I refuse to be one of the doubters because I have a strong feeling he's going to make them look pretty stupid.

Yep. They need guys who are mentally tough. As much as I hated a guy like Aaron Craft (because he played for the other team) I always had a tremendous amount of respect for the way he played the game. His tenacity. His toughness. His desire to win. You can't teach those things.

All of the Bohannon boys have been productive collegiate basketball players. They play smart and they play hard. One would think that people would recognize that prior to making assumptions about Jordan. I refuse to be one of the doubters because I have a strong feeling he's going to make them look pretty stupid.

Zach wasn't

I'm not trying to knock the players of the past six years, but Fran has done a pretty good job of upgrading the talent.

Gesell played with 4 players who either got drafted or will end up getting drafted and I still think Gabe will play in the NBA before his career is over.

JB has a good chance to be a good player. He needs to overcome his limitations (foot speed, strength and ball handling) but he looks like he has the ability. What he does have, and what I think everyone agrees on) is almost elite shooting ability. You find a place on your team for a kid that can shoot like him and it is the coaches responsibility to give him the right types of situations to succeed. Bring him along the right way. JB will be an important part of this team. He may not ever be a starter, but then he could become one. But he will help this team.

JB has a good chance to be a good player. He needs to overcome his limitations (foot speed, strength and ball handling) but he looks like he has the ability. What he does have, and what I think everyone agrees on) is almost elite shooting ability. You find a place on your team for a kid that can shoot like him and it is the coaches responsibility to give him the right types of situations to succeed. Bring him along the right way. JB will be an important part of this team. He may not ever be a starter, but then he could become one. But he will help this team.

The biggest thing Fran needs to do is keep his confidence up. Ellingson was an elite shooter before he came here but I think he just doesn't have the confidence in himself to make those shots anymore. That's that biggest thing for a shooter coming off the bench

The biggest thing Fran needs to do is keep his confidence up. Ellingson was an elite shooter before he came here but I think he just doesn't have the confidence in himself to make those shots anymore. That's that biggest thing for a shooter coming off the bench

I think Ellingson was 4 of 6 the year he red shirted. Last year he started out pretty good but struggled the last half or 2/3 of the year. He still might be good.

You have no idea he could very well end up being like Jason. In regards to mental toughness I will give a Bohannon kid the benefit of the doubt everyday of the week.

Jason was a big recruit though and wasn't undersized like Jordan. I don't think I'm out of line on this one because I'm skeptical. I hope I'm wrong

I think Ellingson was 4 of 6 the year he red shirted. Last year he started out pretty good but struggled the last half or 2/3 of the year. He still might be good.

Maybe I am drinking the kool aid I think the kid can find a niche, a role in this program. A lot of fans are probably making comparisons to Olgesby, maybe even McCabe, at least give him one more year before you consider it a wasted schollie.