Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

And every other school recruiting the same player will point this out even if it (favoritism) doesn't exist. I'm sure this will also be a factor when Patrick is a senior...with guys that play his position.

Wait are you saying other shool recruit players too? Some people seem to think that only Fran recruits. If he does a good job they come to iowa. If he does a lousy job they decide not to come to iowa. What other schools do and say doesn't matter as long as Fran does his job properly.

That's Fran's job to overcome that. If he has a better relationship with that recruit more so than the other coach it shouldn't be a problem. Seriously Fran couldn't have asked for a better situation for a 2016 PG, stop pretending like it was something it wasn't.

In a world that revolves around the University of Iowa that would be true. In the real world, Fran actually has legit compitition he has to battle against. If those guys are in recruits ear about the coaches son undeservingly taking minutes, it could sway a tough decision.

Carr went to Penn State and they have Shep Garner
Pritchard went to Oregon and they have Tyler Dorsey
Simpson went to Michigan and they have Derrick Walton
Gibbs went to Notre Dame and they have Steve Vasturia and Josh Newkirk
Jackson went to Iowa State and they have Monte Morris
Green went to Indiana and they have Robert Johnson

Now you're going to say we couldn't get any of these recruits because they were afraid of Williams or Connor? That's just making excuses

This isn't about compitition against good players. It's about compitition against favoritism.

I forget. Was it ever mentioned in this thread that Wieskamp is ranked in ESPN's top 25 for his class? That's pretty cool. I have to assume objective outsiders think he can play.

Objective outsiders do think that. Hawk5656 doesn't and thinks we only got his commitment because we missed out on our top 57 choices so we had to settle for Weiskamp.

Bohannon was Mr. Iowa basketball but Hawk5656 has made it abundantly clear that he thinks Bohannon sucks, so I'm very curious as to what it would take for him to give a single one of our recruits a positive take.

This is such a crazy way to spin it but you're just one of those posters that has an excuse for everything so I don't know why we keep arguing about it.

It's not far fetched to think kids might be skeptical about competing with the coaches kid for playtime.

It's not far fetched to think kids might be skeptical about competing with the coaches kid for playtime.

Connor is going to play the 2 and Fran would tell the recruits that so I do think it is far fetched a good 2016 PG would be skeptical of him

Connor is going to play the 2 and Fran would tell the recruits that so I do think it is far fetched a good 2016 PG would be skeptical of him

The naivety here is really kinda cute.

If you're a Hawk fan -- and you're wanting to debate these subjects -- it often helps to keep up with the news and listen to the Podcasts. One that might be eye opening for some of you is the Barnstormers podcast with Tom Kakert last month where they break down all of the kids who are coming to play for Fran including Fran's kids.

It's been said many of times.... Connor is not coming to Iowa to play PG -- he will be a SG and maybe might dabble with a little SF because he's 6'4 and the average SF height in college is 6'3. But as many have pointed out, Fran may be able to get away without having a true point guard because so many people handle the ball in his motion offense (though, I still think he would love to have a top PG running the show). In fact, look at his ESPN, 247, Rivals-- he's not even listed as a PG, so I am not sure why some of you are just making things up and then trying to debate meritlessly.

With zero inside knowledge, you'd have to think that Fran would be having these types of discussions with any kid who is considering coming to play for him. Dillard has said in past interviews that every kid who visits sits down to watch film with the staff and they specifically point out how that recruit's skill set fits into the Iowa program. In fact, Luka Garza explicity said this in one of his interviews with regards to what he did on his two visits. And if the coaching staff is very good at their job, which I assume they are, they also discuss the types of players who will be palying alongside them and what their role could potentially look like IF they put in the work required to get on the court.

Last edited:
The naivety here is really kinda cute.

If you're a Hawk fan -- and you're wanting to debate these subjects -- it often helps to keep up with the news and listen to the Podcasts. One that might be eye opening for some of you is the Barnstormers podcast with Tom Kakert last month where they break down all of the kids who are coming to play for Fran including Fran's kids.

It's been said many of times.... Connor is not coming to Iowa to play PG -- he will be a SG and maybe might dabble with a little SF because he's 6'4 and the average SF height in college is 6'3. But as many have pointed out, Fran may be able to get away without having a true point guard because so many people handle the ball in his motion offense (though, I still think he would love to have a top PG running the show). In fact, look at his ESPN, 247, Rivals-- he's not even listed as a PG, so I am not sure why some of you are just making things up and then trying to debate meritlessly.

With zero inside knowledge, you'd have to think that Fran would be having these types of discussions with any kid who is considering coming to play for him. Dillard has said in past interviews that every kid who visits sits down to watch film with the staff and they specifically point out how that recruit's skill set fits into the Iowa program. In fact, Luka Garza explicity said this in one of his interviews with regards to what he did on his two visits. And if the coaching staff is very good at their job, which I assume they are, they also discuss the types of players who will be palying alongside them and what their role could potentially look like IF they put in the work required to get on the court.

Since you supposedly listen to the podcasts, you might want to add that that it was the brainstormers coaches OPINION that he was a 2. You and they have no clue how Fran sees Conner in the Iowa offense.

Also since you like the podcasts so much, what did you think when Tom, Brent, and Docherman all unanimously said that Bohannon would be a good PG, and a 4 year contributor?

Since you supposedly listen to the podcasts, you might want to add that that it was the brainstormers coaches OPINION that he was a 2. You and they have no clue how Fran sees Conner in the Iowa offense.

Also since you like the podcasts so much, what did you think when Tom, Brent, and Docherman all unanimously said that Bohannon would be a good PG, and a 4 year contributor?

You don't think the Barnstormers coach knows how Fran projects Connor at the next level? You can't be serious

You don't think the Barnstormers coach knows how Fran projects Connor at the next level? You can't be serious

Before you spout off, you might want to listen to the podcast. The Barnstormers coaches said Connor can take over the game at the guard position, that he is outstanding at distributing the ball. They say right in the podcast that he is a 6'5" point guard.

What would make you think that Fran would have to talk to or sell some coaches when recruiting Connor? There certainly wasn't any talk in the podcast about Fran telling them anything, or them speaking that they know for a certainty that Connor will be a PG, SG, wing player.

Before you spout yoff, you might want to listen to the podcast. The Barnstormers coaches said Connor can take over the game at the guard position, that he is outstanding at distributing the ball. They say right in the podcast that he is a 6'5" point guard.

What would make you think that Fran would have to talk to or sell some coaches when recruiting Connor? There certainly wasn't any talk in the podcast about Fran telling them anything, or them speaking that they know for a certainty that Connor will be a PG, SG, wing player.

So you think when Fran was explaining where the 2016 PG recruits would fit in and the future recruits coming in he was telling them that Connor was going to be a PG and that's why he didn't get one he wanted? On top of that Connor's AAU coaches have no clue how Fran will use him when he gets here? If that's the case Fran deserves some criticism because that is really bad

It's been said many of times.... Connor is not coming to Iowa to play PG -- he will be a SG and maybe might dabble with a little SF because he's 6'4 and the average SF height in college is 6'3.

If that is being said, then this has not always been the narrative.

But as many have pointed out, Fran may be able to get away without having a true point guard because so many people handle the ball in his motion offense (though, I still think he would love to have a top PG running the show).

This HAS become the new narrative, in the past few months, related to point guard. All of the sudden, Iowa doesn't really need true point guards in its system because it doesn't run a lot of set pieces.

That may be true....however, Fran has tried to recruit several true point guards, every year, and has had the most trouble with that position on the recruiting trail. Tyler Ulis was nothing if not a true PG, and a scorer. I think Fran would take a scoring PG every other class, until he retired.

That said, he's trying to make Lemonade...and that is good...what Iowa needs, and this has been a challenge for most of my life watching Iowa basketball save for the Ravelling classes, is MULTIPLE players who can take off the dribble, and get to the rim. I think the 2016-2017 team will be as athletic as Fran has had as Iowa...but also pretty green. As of right now, you don't have a lot of proven players who can take you off the dribble. I am not just talking PG, I am talking one through three positions, and if you are lucky and have a Uthoff skill set at the stretch four, then the four.

If you can get two's who can slash, three's who can slash, stretch fours who can hit the three, and a PG who can at least hold his own out there being guarded by the other team's quicker PG, and exploit the mismatches he brings in size, if we are talking about Christian WIlliams, then you have some angles.

Last edited:
So you think when Fran was explaining where the 2016 PG recruits would fit in and the future recruits coming in he was telling them that Connor was going to be a PG and that's why he didn't get one he wanted? On top of that Connor's AAU coaches have no clue how Fran will use him when he gets here? If that's the case Fran deserves some criticism because that is really bad

I think there is a good chance that other coaches were telling kids Fran was recruiting that Connor will be coming in to play point next year. I would guess that they did everything they could to get into their heads that you don't want to compete for playtime against the coaches son. This is pure speculation on my part. But it does make sense.

I'm sure the Barnstormers coaches have an OPINION on where Connor will be used. I doubt very much that he sits down with them and explains to them where he sees Connor playing in the Iowa offense.

That has nothing to do with how he recruits other kids. Heck he just got Tyler Cook, and he is still going after additional big men, PF, C. That is BB, Fran is going to go after good players and figure out how they fit in later when they are on campus.

I'm sure the Barnstormers coaches have an OPINION on where Connor will be used. I doubt very much that he sits down with them and explains to them where he sees Connor playing in the Iowa offense.

That has nothing to do with how he recruits other kids. Heck he just got Tyler Cook, and he is still going after additional big men, PF, C. That is BB, Fran is going to go after good players and figure out how they fit in later when they are on campus.

It would be pretty stupid to not explain to AAU coaches what you envision of their player when they come here. I can think of many benefits to talking to AAU coaches about it and I can't think of a negative at all.

It would be pretty stupid to not explain to AAU coaches what you envision of their player when they come here. I can think of many benefits to talking to AAU coaches about it and I can't think of a negative at all.

So basically you have an opinion that you have no way or clue to prove. If you listened to the podcast it is pretty obvious that they really had/have no idea how Fran will use Connor. Heck Fran might not know yet, he could grow another 1 or 2, he might not have the lateral quickness that is needed. Either way if they knew, they certainly didn't make that known during the podcast other than saying that he is a 6'5" PG.

So basically you have an opinion that you have no way or clue to prove. If you listened to the podcast it is pretty obvious that they really had/have no idea how Fran will use Connor. Heck Fran might not know yet, he could grow another 1 or 2, he might not have the lateral quickness that is needed. Either way if they knew, they certainly didn't make that known during the podcast other than saying that he is a 6'5" PG.

If they don't what he'll play here then he's probably not going to be the "PG of the future". I'll have to find that podcast and listen to it

If they don't what he'll play here then he's probably not going to be the "PG of the future". I'll have to find that podcast and listen to it

I said Fran "might not know", I just threw it out there, like you are throwing things out there.