Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

Mike is way quicker than Connor, not even close

And? What about the rest of my post? Gesell may be quicker than Connor, but he was never a game changer at PG. Fran hasn't had a game changer at PG in his entire tenure at Iowa (other than when Marble played point). Because of that I would argue he has had plenty of time to learn how to run a team successfully and game plan without a very good PG.

Quickness isn't the only thing that makes a PG effective. There are many other ways a PG can manage a game.

And? What about the rest of my post? Gesell may be quicker than Connor, but he was never a game changer at PG. Fran hasn't had a game changer at PG in his entire tenure at Iowa (other than when Marble played point). Because of that I would argue he has had plenty of time to learn how to run a team successfully and game plan without a very good PG.

Quickness isn't the only thing that makes a PG effective. There are many other ways a PG can manage a game.

All I was saying is he's tried recruiting that game changer PG and never even thought of Mike when I said that. He tried upgrading over Mike his whole career. Connor is a 2 anyways so it's kind of a moot point

All I was saying is he's tried recruiting that game changer PG and never even thought of Mike when I said that. He tried upgrading over Mike his whole career. Connor is a 2 anyways so it's kind of a moot point

You are always trying to upgrade every position as a D1 coach.

Fran is currently trying hard to get Luka Garza to come to Iowa. So he is trying to upgrade over Cook, Fran must not think Cook is good enough according to your logic. :rolleyes:

PC is right, as a coach you always are trying to bring in the best you can. To say that since Fran started recruiting a PG to follow Gesell when Gesell was going to be a Jr. is only common sense in recruiting. You have actually made some pretty good point, don't start being an idiot now, of course Fran is going to recruit kids for the same position as current players play.

Fran is currently trying hard to get Luka Garza to come to Iowa. So he is trying to upgrade over Cook, Fran must not think Cook is good enough according to your logic. :rolleyes:

PC is right, as a coach you always are trying to bring in the best you can. To say that since Fran started recruiting a PG to follow Gesell when Gesell was going to be a Jr. is only common sense in recruiting. You have actually made some pretty good point, don't start being an idiot now, of course Fran is going to recruit kids for the same position as current players play.

All I'm saying is Fran has been trying to recruit the quick prototypical PG since he's been here so it'll be interesting to see how he does without one. Mike was a way quicker PG than anyone we'll have on the roster this year and next year

All I'm saying is Fran has been trying to recruit the quick prototypical PG since he's been here so it'll be interesting to see how he does without one. Mike was a way quicker PG than anyone we'll have on the roster this year and next year

Right, and what I'm saying is Fran has been game planning without a game changer at the PG position since he's been at Iowa. You think it's going to be a challenge for him to come up with a game plan without a "quick prototypical PG"? You do realize there's a pretty good chance whomever the slower PG is that Fran decides to give playing time to could very well be more effective than any of these "quick" PGs Fran has had to work with in the past right?

If Connor, or JB, or CW can prove to be offensive threats then that alone would be one area of their game that would be an improvement over the past. If they can be a floor general then that is another feather in their cap. IF they can knock down their free throws... If they can remain calm in frantic situations... If they can finish at the rim... I mean there's a ton of areas in Iowa's past PG play that can be improved upon. Quickness is far from my biggest concern.

Fran really hasn't had elite play from his PG at all at Iowa and he has made it work. That's why I'm saying this isn't really going to be as big of an adjustment as you are making it out to be. Which isn't surprising because you seem to be a bit of a drama queen.

Right, and what I'm saying is Fran has been game planning without a game changer at the PG position since he's been at Iowa. You think it's going to be a challenge for him to come up with a game plan without a "quick prototypical PG"? You do realize there's a pretty good chance whomever the slower PG is that Fran decides to give playing time to could very well be more effective than any of these "quick" PGs Fran has had to work with in the past right?

If Connor, or JB, or CW can prove to be offensive threats then that alone would be one area of their game that would be an improvement over the past. If they can be a floor general then that is another feather in their cap. IF they can knock down their free throws... If they can remain calm in frantic situations... If they can finish at the rim... I mean there's a ton of areas in Iowa's past PG play that can be improved upon. Quickness is far from my biggest concern.

Fran really hasn't had elite play from his PG at all at Iowa and he has made it work. That's why I'm saying this isn't really going to be as big of an adjustment as you are making it out to be. Which isn't surprising because you seem to be a bit of a drama queen.

I think this is wrong but we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on that one

I think this is wrong but we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on that one

What do you think is wrong about it? I think it was spot on. If we had an elite point guard last year, we could have had a 1 seed in the tourney. But if Utoff would have had the right mentality, we could have been a 1 seed too. Fram put together a team last year that had 1 seed capability without an elite point guard. The only thing that stopped them is one guy disappeared at the end of games and one guy would have been better off disappearing.

We have to replace a really quick point guard who could get to the rim, but when he did, bad things normally happened. We have to replace a point guard who basically abandoned shooting the last half of the year. We have to replace a point guard who was a turnover machine in the last 2 minutes of close games. We have to replace a point guard who couldn't make a clutch free throw his entire career. Gesell did some good things, but he did quite a few things so bad that replacing him isn't the task you make it out to be.

What do you think is wrong about it? I think it was spot on. If we had an elite point guard last year, we could have had a 1 seed in the tourney. But if Utoff would have had the right mentality, we could have been a 1 seed too. Fram put together a team last year that had 1 seed capability without an elite point guard. The only thing that stopped them is one guy disappeared at the end of games and one guy would have been better off disappearing.

We have to replace a really quick point guard who could get to the rim, but when he did, bad things normally happened. We have to replace a point guard who basically abandoned shooting the last half of the year. We have to replace a point guard who was a turnover machine in the last 2 minutes of close games. We have to replace a point guard who couldn't make a clutch free throw his entire career. Gesell did some good things, but he did quite a few things so bad that replacing him isn't the task you make it out to be.

We have to replace a PG who was Honorable Mention All Conference. We have to replace a PG that had a 3 to 1 A/TO ratio and was a really good defender. I think we will be worse at the PG position next year than we were this year which will be eye opening for some people on here

We have to replace a PG who was Honorable Mention All Conference. We have to replace a PG that had a 3 to 1 A/TO ratio and was a really good defender. I think we will be worse at the PG position next year than we were this year which will be eye opening for some people on here

Great point. Gesell wasn't a good scorer, but he was an above average defender, protected the ball fairly well, and distributed the ball and ran the offense well. He was a big, no a HUGE reason Iowa has been to 3 straight NCAA tournaments.

He was almost certainly honorable mention because he was a senior who was a household name because he started for 4 years. He had a great assist to turnover ratio because he rarely tried to make a play happen. If there was a stat to keep track of assist to turnover ratio of when you're actually trying to make a play, he was probably pretty low on the list of Big 10 point guards. Think about the times Gesell did a drive and dish. I literally can't think of one. He rarely if ever drove the lane and dumped it off for an easy layup. Those are the assists that really help a team and areally hard to replace. His assists came in the flow of the offense.

Reactions: trj
Great point. Gesell wasn't a good scorer, but he was an above average defender, protected the ball fairly well, and distributed the ball and ran the offense well. He was a big, no a HUGE reason Iowa has been to 3 straight NCAA tournaments.

He was a good defender, until the last 2 minutes of a close game.

He was almost certainly honorable mention because he was a senior who was a household name because he started for 4 years. He had a great assist to turnover ratio because he rarely tried to make a play happen. If there was a stat to keep track of assist to turnover ratio of when you're actually trying to make a play, he was probably pretty low on the list of Big 10 point guards. Think about the times Gesell did a drive and dish. I literally can't think of one. He rarely if ever drove the lane and dumped it off for an easy layup. Those are the assists that really help a team and areally hard to replace. His assists came in the flow of the offense.

And he will most likely be better than CW or Bohannon will be this year

And he will most likely be better than CW or Bohannon will be this year

I would hope a 4 year starter in the B10 would be better than a first year starter. I don't disagree with that at all. I certainly expect there to be growing pains. However, when I look long term I think they'll be just fine if not better with what they have now once these guys get a little more comfortable playing at this level.

I would hope a 4 year starter in the B10 would be better than a first year starter. I don't disagree with that at all. I certainly expect there to be growing pains. However, when I look long term I think they'll be just fine if not better with what they have now once these guys get a little more comfortable playing at this level.

Long term you never know, this year will probably be tough to watch at times

Is there anyone you're not optimistic about?

Uhl, Baer, Moss, and probably a few others. I'm not pessimistic on them tho. I think I'm more optimistic on CW than anyone else on the team. That doesn't mean I think he will be the best. Just that he will exceed expectations the most.