Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

I'm actually not a negative person at all. The only thing I've been negative about is our PG situation and I think it's justified. If we would have landed Moore or one of our top targets we're probably an NCAA tournament team this year instead of an NIT team. It was that big of a miss. There's a reason everyone connected to the program said we needed to sign a PG in the Spring and we didn't so are they all negative too?

Since you already know how this season plays out, do you know where we will be playing in the first round of the NIT? Maybe we will get another game at carver. Either way, I want to get going on travel arrangements to watch this young team in the 2017 National Invitational Tournament.

Daily is an unknown, unranked kid. There are a hundred just like him that happen to play point guard. If he wanted someone that bad, he could have found someone. And Fran talks all the time about not being concerned with positions. He says we don't need a point guard as long as we have guards who can handle the ball. It's a motion offense. Everyone is everywhere pretty much.

How would an unraked, unknown PG helped us out? We'd still be in the same situation. Let's revisit in December about how not having a PG this year is working out for us and hopefully I'll be the one that's wrong

If they spent their time with the recruits they had the best shot with and didn't land them, I don't fault them for that.

You live in this fantasy world where if Iowa calls some kid up he instantly is going to be warm to the idea of playing basketball at Iowa. Maybe the reason they didn't continue to pursue those other guys, was because they really weren't that interested in Iowa.

We don't need coaches who can close the deal on kids that they want, as long as they try that's all that matters

How would an unraked, unknown PG helped us out? We'd still be in the same situation. Let's revisit in December about how not having a PG this year is working out for us and hopefully I'll be the one that's wrong

Because there are unknown unranked kids who are actually good. If Fran thought it was a big deal, he would have kept looking for one. Either that or Daily is so good that Fran thinks it's worth not having another point.

Because there are unknown unranked kids who are actually good. If Fran thought it was a big deal, he would have kept looking for one. Either that or Daily is so good that Fran thinks it's worth not having another point.

I think Fran was out of PG options so went with the best available which was Daily.

We don't need coaches who can close the deal on kids that they want, as long as they try that's all that matters

You just have to get used to the fact that as long as Fran is coaching here, we are going to miss on a lot of good players. That's what happens when you try for players who are too good to come to your program normally. He's willing to work hard for no reward most of the time just to get paid off big occasionally on guys like Cook. That trait makes him a good recruit, not a bad one.

You just have to get used to the fact that as long as Fran is coaching here, we are going to miss on a lot of good players. That's what happens when you try for players who are too good to come to your program normally. He's willing to work hard for no reward most of the time just to get paid off big occasionally on guys like Cook. That trait makes him a good recruit, not a bad one.

Which one of those 7 players are too good to come here normally? Pritchard was probably a long shot but I think everyone else was attainable. We had more to sell at that position than we did with Cook and we still got him over some big name programs

Which one of those 7 players are too good to come here normally? Pritchard was probably a long shot but I think everyone else was attainable. We had more to sell at that position than we did with Cook and we still got him over some big name programs

Like I said, we don't know all those offers were accept on the spot offers. And just because we landed one guy over big name programs doesn't mean we won't miss others. That's what's so bad about your line of thinking. You use landing Cook as a negative because since we did it one we should do it more.

Like I said, we don't know all those offers were accept on the spot offers. And just because we landed one guy over big name programs doesn't mean we won't miss others. That's what's so bad about your line of thinking. You use landing Cook as a negative because since we did it one we should do it more.

Landing Cook was a huge positive. Landing a fallback recruit at a position where we needed a very good player was the negative here. You've already talked yourself into thinking Bohannon is what we needed, I don't agree, simple as that. It's not complicated

I just don't get bashing on Bohannon like some are doing. He is a Hawk now, why continue to point out how crappy you think he is going to be?? Makes no sense, it is almost like some are already rooting against him.

The thing that just blows my mind is you talk like you know things. You don't know what happened in the Charlie Moore situation. You don't know Charlie personally. You don't know any of these recruits or what there relationship was with the Iowa coaches, but you talk like you know things, it's embarrassing.

The thing that just blows my mind is you talk like you know things. You don't know what happened in the Charlie Moore situation. You don't know Charlie personally. You don't know any of these recruits or what there relationship was with the Iowa coaches, but you talk like you know things, it's embarrassing.

If Fran went after Moore two separate times I know enough that he would have been a great addition to our team. If our coaches are going to offer a player a scholarship I'm going to assume they think they have a chance with that recruit and they want them to play for Iowa.

If Fran went after Moore two separate times I know enough that he would have been a great addition to our team. If our coaches are going to offer a player a scholarship I'm going to assume they think they have a chance with that recruit and they want them to play for Iowa.

Yes, Fran did want a top 100 player by the name of Charlie Moore, who denied that? Unfortunately we didn't get him and you have no idea how the situation unfolded, yet you keep talking about it.

We brought in 5 newcomers last year, can you imagine how many players Fran contacted, or as you call it lost, before we ended up with those 5?

Yes, Fran did want a top 100 player by the name of Charlie Moore, who denied that? Unfortunately we didn't get him and you have no idea how the situation unfolded, yet you keep talking about it.

We brought in 5 newcomers last year, can you imagine how many players Fran contacted, or as you call it lost, before we ended up with those 5?

I'd guess 30 or so scholarship offers. Fran got an elite big men and two other pretty good ones so that was a big recruiting success. He took best available for a Spring recruit after he realized there was no PG's left so I'm fine with that too since I think the upside is there. That just leaves one position I am skeptical about and let's be honest here, it's justified.

Last edited:
Landing Cook was a huge positive. Landing a fallback recruit at a position where we needed a very good player was the negative here. You've already talked yourself into thinking Bohannon is what we needed, I don't agree, simple as that. It's not complicated
Bohannon is what we needed for what? Let me guess, the next step. People always talk about how we need to do so and so to reach the next step. Fran sucks because he can't reach the next step. Then he reaches the next step but Fran still sucks because he can't reach the next step after that.

JB probably isn't what iowa needed for a starter on a top 10 team. But he's a hawk now and it's very possible he's what we need to be a role player on a top 10 team or a starter on a top 25 team. Every single recruit can't be a home run.

I'd guess 30 or so scholarship offers. Fran got an elite big men and two other pretty good ones so that was a big recruiting success. He took best available for a Spring recruit after he realized there was no PG's left so I'm fine with that too since I think the upside is there. That just leaves one position I am skeptical about and let's be honest here, it's justified.
How is the Bohannon signing any worse than the Kriener signing. Both were kids Fran was watching until he decided he'd seen enough to warrant snow offer.

5656 is a hawk fan who always sees the negative. Stomper90 is almost certainly a cyclone fan. It's just subtle things in their posts that make it easy to tell the difference.

I think they are 2 different people and they are both cyclone fans. I think someone like lightning1 is a hawkeye fan who is always negative just waiting to argue/debate. 5656 is over compensating with the pronouns with the 'we', 'our', 'us' not so much for good grammar it is liking he is fighting it hard not to let something slip.

How is the Bohannon signing any worse than the Kriener signing. Both were kids Fran was watching until he decided he'd seen enough to warrant snow offer.

Kriener's offers: Minnesota, Missouri, Wichita State
Bohannon's offers: DePaul, Lehigh, South Dakota State

Plus Kriener committed a month before Bohannon so he probably would have gotten more offers with how his AAU circuit was going.

The relationship went south for whatever reason. That much is obvious. Whatever it was was bad enough for them to cut ties but not bad enough to see if the problem could be fixed. They tried again and realized the problem couldn't be fixed. How does that mean anything negative? That's a retorical question for you obviously since you get it.

Hey Iowa State offered Cook and he shot them down. Solomon Young must be a fall back recruit for ISU. Donovan Jackson wasn't their first choice either so he must be a fall back recruit. Is that how recruiting work?

Latest posts