Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

So you think that Iowa should be regularly beating Kansas, Nova and MSU regularly on the recruiting trail? There are several schools out there with a lot more sustained success than Iowa out there who can't even do that. Also, that's a far cry from what Marshall is doing at Wichita State. He has brought in exactly 1 top 150 recruit in the last 5 years. I'm not sure where you get your info, unless you are counting top 150 JUCO kids as being top 150 in the nation (that's not how it works). He has never had a recruit ranked as high as OUT OF STATE commit Tyler Cook.

Beyond that, quite a bit of Fran's talent has come from other states in case you haven't noticed. White is from Ohio, Marble is from Michigan, Basabe is from NY, etc. Also, discounting kids because they are from the state of Iowa is disingenuous. Very good players come from this state. As a matter of fact, there is one starting an NBA finals game tonight. Fran has done a phenomenal job in keeping local talent right here ever since he's arrived in Iowa City.

Who is saying anything about Kansas, Nova or MSU? Here is the list of schools that we got beat by on the recruiting trail at a position of need. With Fran's system and two senior PG's graduating we had a ton to sell too.

Penn State
Oregon
Michigan
California
Iowa State
Notre Dame
Indiana

Who is nationally recognized? Perception is that Pemsl will be the better college player, who won Mr. Basketball is irrelevant just like High School stats are. If I had my choice of 4 years of Pemsl or 4 years of Bohannon I'm taking Pemsl

I agree with your last sentence. But like I said, doesn't JB being good enough to beat out a player like Pemsl give you any more optimism than if he hadn't? He beat out a really good player. Does that mean there is at least a chance he is good?

I agree with your last sentence. But like I said, doesn't JB being good enough to beat out a player like Pemsl give you any more optimism than if he hadn't? He beat out a really good player. Does that mean there is at least a chance he is good?

No because Mr. Basketball means nothing with how you project at the next level. Bohannon could be the better High School player between the two, I really don't know and it doesn't really matter. Yes there is a chance Bohannon will be good here

And Tillo sucked because he chose to play a different sport.

He was a mid major caliber basketball recruit and had no major conference interest. Sure he could have been some diamond in the rough basketball recruit but let's be realistic here

Who is saying anything about Kansas, Nova or MSU? Here is the list of schools that we got beat by on the recruiting trail at a position of need. With Fran's system and two senior PG's graduating we had a ton to sell too.

Penn State
Oregon
Michigan
California
Iowa State
Notre Dame
Indiana

The person I quoted, genius. We've been over the Jackson commit over and over. You can take ISU off the list. The kids that committed to PSU and Oregon stayed in their home state and turned down schools with a much better pedigree than Iowa. The others are very good basketball programs. As I've said before, the only recruiting miss that bugged me a bit was Moore but Cal was in on him well before Iowa was and Fran was unable to pull him away. Recruiting is not as simple as you make it out to be.

No because Mr. Basketball means nothing with how you project at the next level. Bohannon could be the better High School player between the two, I really don't know and it doesn't really matter. Yes there is a chance Bohannon will be good here

It's hard to be the best player in the state during a year with a player like Pemsl and not be at least decent in college. It's still very possible he won't pan out. But when he committed, I didn't think he was anywhere near being the best player in the state. I highly doubt you did either. So to say nothing changed doesn't make sense.

Daniel Tillo averaged more PPG his senior year than Matt Gatens. Thanks for proving my point High School stats are meaningless

Different competition. He played up in the NW part of the state where there are very few big schools. Gatens and Bohannon played at the same level in the same conference.

He was a mid major caliber basketball recruit and had no major conference interest. Sure he could have been some diamond in the rough basketball recruit but let's be realistic here

Odds were not in his favor of being really good. But you can't use him as proof in an arguement when he never even played basketball in colege.

It's hard to be the best player in the state during a year with a player like Pemsl and not be at least decent in college. It's still very possible he won't pan out. But when he committed, I didn't think he was anywhere near being the best player in the state. I highly doubt you did either. So to say nothing changed doesn't make sense.

Cougill beat out May for Mr. Basketball. He could be a better High School player than Pemsl and it's still meaningless to what he will do at Iowa

The person I quoted, genius. We've been over the Jackson commit over and over. You can take ISU off the list. The kids that committed to PSU and Oregon stayed in their home state and turned down schools with a much better pedigree than Iowa. The others are very good basketball programs. As I've said before, the only recruiting miss that bugged me a bit was Moore but Cal was in on him well before Iowa was and Fran was unable to pull him away. Recruiting is not as simple as you make it out to be.

In my opinion Fran should have landed one of the top 7 players he offered before Bohannon. You have lower expectations than me when it comes to recruiting and that's fine. There is a reason anyone connected to the Iowa basketball program was saying we needed a PG in the Spring class and we didn't get one. Maybe they didn't see Bohannon's High School stats?

It's not meaninless. It's not a guarantee and you can find examples where Mr Basketball didn't pan out obviously. But it's not meaningless. The only thing I can think of I you think I'm arguing that JB being Mr Basketball makes him a sure bet. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying it improves his odds of being good, not that his odds are now 100%.

In my opinion Fran should have landed one of the top 7 players he offered before Bohannon. You have lower expectations than me when it comes to recruiting and that's fine. There is a reason anyone connected to the Iowa basketball program was saying we needed a PG in the Spring class and we didn't get one. Maybe they didn't see Bohannon's High School stats?

I may have lower expectations but I have realistic ones. I absolutely would have loved for Iowa to land one of the 6 recruits that were ranked higher than Bohannon but there's no shame in missing out on them given the teams they committed to. Are there other kids in the country that were ranked higher than Bohannon that would commit to Iowa? Probably but at least Bohannon comes with a good pedigree and has high character.

How do you know Fran would have even accepted a commitment from all 7 of those kids? Maybe he saw enough of them to get his foot in the door but not enough to give up on trying to secure someone better. All the while he was keeping an eye on JB. Then JB showed him enough to not only extend an offer but also enough to accept him on the spot.

How do you know Fran would have even accepted a commitment from all 7 of those kids? Maybe he saw enough of them to get his foot in the door but not enough to give up on trying to secure someone better. All the while he was keeping an eye on JB. Then JB showed him enough to not only extend an offer but also enough to accept him on the spot.

That's one way to spin it

I may have lower expectations but I have realistic ones. I absolutely would have loved for Iowa to land one of the 6 recruits that were ranked higher than Bohannon but there's no shame in missing out on them given the teams they committed to. Are there other kids in the country that were ranked higher than Bohannon that would commit to Iowa? Probably but at least Bohannon comes with a good pedigree and has high character.

The myth that Fran somehow sucks at recruiting one position and is fine at recruiting the other 4 comes from his relentless effort to bring in kids he has almost no chance with. He is shooting for the stars and it's somehow giving him a bad name in some people's eyes.

The myth that Fran somehow sucks at recruiting one position and is fine at recruiting the other 4 comes from his relentless effort to bring in kids he has almost no chance with. He is shooting for the stars and it's somehow giving him a bad name in some people's eyes.

Fran has even said himself that he doesn't necessarily focus on the PG position. He prefers a bigger guard or even a point-forward position (something you would think ISU fans could understand). There really isn't any way to determine how hard Iowa went after those kids they offered. At least Bohannon has a good rapport with several of the Iowa commits so there should be some good chemistry from day 1.

Fran has even said himself that he doesn't necessarily focus on the PG position. He prefers a bigger guard or even a point-forward position (something you would think ISU fans could understand). There really isn't any way to determine how hard Iowa went after those kids they offered. At least Bohannon has a good rapport with several of the Iowa commits so there should be some good chemistry from day 1.

Bohannon fits that mold