Ivy League Cancels Men's & Women's Basketball Tournaments

there are 330,000,000 (million) people in America. there are aprx 1000 total cases. there are 7,500,000,000 (billion) people in the world. there are aprx 122,000 total confirmed cases world wide. The issue isn't whether this virus exists. the issue is whether the fear, panic and hysteria is warranted. it is not warranted. if it is warranted, then we should shut out country and the world down every flu season because between 40k and 70k people in America die each flu season.
Was hoping some experts would continue to weigh in. The point is that if we don't do enough now, it might be too late. Here's that flu argument again LOL, where are you guys hearing this shit? Hahaha

I think fear is warranted for those with elderly or sick relatives. Seems to be very bad news if they contract it.

Also the main doctor on the US coronavirus task force said today that while a lot of the panic is being overstated, its still at least 10 times more deadly than the flu.

People are just trying to prevent a mass spread. Its gonna be weird but whatever. Better safe than sorry, right? Imagine an NCAA tournament site where 2,000 people got infected. There would be hell to pay and possibly even lawsuits.

* The elderly AND the young are in danger every flu season.
* This virus has so far not harmed children, world wide.
* The elderly should take the same precautions as they and everyone should every flu season.
* You are referring to Anthony Faucci. He testified in front of Congress, today, that this virus is 10x more "lethal" than the flu. However, no one defined "lethal."
* Anthony Faucci also said that, even though, this virus is 10x more lethal than the flu, he also said that this virus now has a mortality rate of 1% instead of the 3% to 4% originally thought. That is a 66% to 75% less mortality rate originally thought.

Again, what warrants fear, panic and hysteria?

Was hoping some experts would continue to weigh in. The point is that if we don't do enough now, it might be too late. Here's that flu argument again LOL, where are you guys hearing this shit? Hahaha

from the same experts you're siting, ree4. just cuz you're sarcastic and like to swear doesn't mean you're right. go do some research and see. everything that i have stated can be proven as accurate as provided by the experts YOU sited. so, go do some research and prove me wrong instead of just throwing sarcasm out there and some swear words.

read my response. he also said the mortality rate is only 1% instead of the 3% that was originally thought. you realize that is a huge decrease in the mortality rate, right?

* The elderly should take the same precautions as they and everyone should every flu season.
* You are referring to Anthony Faucci. He testified in front of Congress, today, that this virus is 10x more "lethal" than the flu. However, no one defined "lethal."
* Anthony Faucci also said that, even though, this virus is 10x more lethal than the flu, he also said that this virus now has a mortality rate of 1% instead of the 3% to 4% originally thought. That is a 66% to 75% less mortality rate originally thought.

Faucci also said that we need to get ahead of this before it spreads out of control and to take it seriously.

For the record, I'm not scared of the coronavirus at all and consider the panic to be pretty ridiculous. However, I'm also not a leader in charge of the protection of citizens, students, athletes, or fans.

I think fear is warranted for those with elderly or sick relatives. Seems to be very bad news if they contract it.

Also the main doctor on the US coronavirus task force said today that while a lot of the panic is being overstated, its still at least 10 times more deadly than the flu.

People are just trying to prevent a mass spread. Its gonna be weird but whatever. Better safe than sorry, right? Imagine an NCAA tournament site where 2,000 people got infected. There would be hell to pay and possibly even lawsuits.

mopkins, i never said don't worry about a thing. fear, panic and hysteria. people in the united states of america fighting over toilet paper when 1000 in 330,000,000 people have a virus?

Faucci also said that we need to get ahead of this before it spreads out of control and to take it seriously.

For the record, I'm not scared of the coronavirus at all and consider the panic to be pretty ridiculous. However, I'm also not a leader in charge of the protection of citizens, students, athletes, or fans.

i do not disagree with what dr. faucci is saying. but what he is saying does not equal the fear, panic and hysteria we are seeing.

read my response. he also said the mortality rate is only 1% instead of the 3% that was originally thought. you realize that is a huge decrease in the mortality rate, right?

That is NOT what he said. He said its currently 3% but he THINKS once the true numbers come in it will fall to something more in line with 1%.

Also this isnt the flu. We know how the flu works, we can develop fairly-effective vaccines against the flu. We also know that the flu generally subsides once it gets warmer.

i do not disagree with what dr. faucci is saying. but what he is saying does not equal the fear, panic and hysteria we are seeing.

Fear and panic? Absolutely not. Those people are stupid. But these administrators cancelling school and events are in charge of protecting the people at their events. I think its wild, but I understand it.

That is NOT what he said. He said its currently 3% but he THINKS once the true numbers come in it will fall to something more in line with 1%.

Also this isnt the flu. We know how the flu works, we can develop fairly-effective vaccines against the flu. We also know that the flu generally subsides once it gets warmer.

How long does it take to create a new vaccine for a new strain of flu?

He's basically saying we should take the threat seriously and get ahead of it to prevent it from spreading. No, that doesn't mean to panic at all. But it does mean to try and avoid community spread if possible.

BTW I'm flying to vegas next week for the NCAA tournament. I can't wait and have zero fear.

He's basically saying we should take the threat seriously and get ahead of it to prevent it from spreading. No, that doesn't mean to panic at all. But it does mean to try and avoid community spread if possible.

BTW I'm flying to vegas next week for the NCAA tournament. I can't wait and have zero fear.

good for you. you've got the right attitude. i hope you enjoy yourself. in my younger days, i went to vegas about 10 years in a row for the 1st rnd. hell, i didn't even mind losing my money, it was so much fun.

but i want to point out that dr. fauci is saying exactly the same thing he's been saying from the beginning. it's going to get worse. of course it is. it just started here in the U.S. but it appears to have peaked in china and s. korea. anyway, enjoy.

mopkins, i never said don't worry about a thing. fear, panic and hysteria. people in the united states of america fighting over toilet paper when 1000 in 330,000,000 people have a virus?
We can agree that fear panic and hysteria are not the way to go. Buying out stores of TP is idiotic. Making common sense decisions such as avoid public places if you can, don't go to large gatherings if you don't need to is being smart. Right now you can expect the number of infected to double every 6 days or so until the end of May. Current models say that the number of cases in the US will be around 1MM at that time and 55M worldwide, when hopefully it will peak.

We can agree that fear panic and hysteria are not the way to go. Buying out stores of TP is idiotic. Making common sense decisions such as avoid public places if you can, don't go to large gatherings if you don't need to is being smart. Right now you can expect the number of infected to double every 6 days or so until the end of May. Current models say that the number of cases in the US will be around 1MM at that time and 55M worldwide, when hopefully it will peak.

i haven't seen those models, so those numbers aside, you're right. common sense. and that been my sole point.

How long does it take to create a new vaccine for a new strain of flu?
At least 1-1.5 years before it's deployable unfortunately, and with the high rate of mutation that RNA viruses possess it makes the vaccine much less effective than DNA based viruses like small pox and chicken pox.

i haven't seen those models, so those numbers aside, you're right. common sense. and that been my sole point.
My whole point was for people to take this seriously, that it is not the flu and should not be treated as such. The numbers right now are about a week to two behind, the US is chasing this. Hawk fan to Hawk fans, and I know a lot of you are older, I urge you all to take this seriously. Even if you are not older, I'm sure you know somebody who is. A simple mistake or lackadaisical approach could severely hurt somebody else. It's not time to panic, just think before you do something. Please.

At least 1-1.5 years before it's deployable unfortunately, and with the high rate of mutation that RNA viruses possess it makes the vaccine much less effective than DNA based viruses like small pox and chicken pox.

and it was the same situation with H1N1 where a new virus needed to be created. again, the point is...and i think we're agreeing here, is that this virus is a mutated strain of the coronavirus family like H1N1 was a mutated strain of flu virus. we, as humans, go through this new/combat/new/combat frequently throughout time.

My whole point was for people to take this seriously, that it is not the flu and should not be treated as such. The numbers right now are about a week to two behind, the US is chasing this. Hawk fan to Hawk fans, and I know a lot of you are older, I urge you all to take this seriously. Even if you are not older, I'm sure you know somebody who is. A simple mistake or lackadaisical approach could severely hurt somebody else. It's not time to panic, just think before you do something. Please.

i do think we are well beyond saying this virus is like the flu, but it is a different virus than the flu. but the same precautions you take for the flu and common cold, are the same precautions you can and should take for this virus. people have collectively lost their minds and the media comparing this to the 1918 spanish flu was highly irresponsible.

F. They just announced the entire NCAA tourney will be played in empty arenas.

This is really going to suck.
It will feel so lifeless, like watching a pick up basketball game. There will be no energy or atmosphere. Teams thrive off the fans, it helps them when they need to make a run. I'm guessing this counts for the women's tourney as well?

Also, the death rate figures mentioned are based on #s from China. Their death rate is always higher than in the U.S. For the vast majority of those infected, the symptoms will be as mild as a common cold. This fucking shit is pure hysteria.

Latest posts