Isu prediction

Their new commit is a pretty big commit for ISU. With apparent offers from Florida, Ole Miss, Tennesse etc. My first thought is why? Did he really have offers from those schools? Or maybe did at one point but not anymore? Or are their academic concerns. Otherwise I really don't know why a 4 star athlete from the South would commit to a horrible program like ISU. Campbell must be one hell of a salesman or someone on his staff is.

But I really don't understand how some people think they are going to be so much better this year??

Don't they have someone responsible for checking these guys before the photo shoot? Are those eyebrows painted on or just strategically trimmed to look like they're painted?

All kidding aside, I think it's just representative of ISU. Consider the number of goofy looking photos, embarrassingly bad videos and other SNAFUs that we've seen come out of Ames over the years. It is...what it is.

Bush league.

Their new commit is a pretty big commit for ISU. With apparent offers from Florida, Ole Miss, Tennesse etc. My first thought is why? Did he really have offers from those schools? Or maybe did at one point but not anymore? Or are their academic concerns. Otherwise I really don't know why a 4 star athlete from the South would commit to a horrible program like ISU. Campbell must be one hell of a salesman or someone on his staff is.

But I really don't understand how some people think they are going to be so much better this year??

If a kid goes from 4* recruit in high school, bails on Georgia, then plans to enroll at Navaro CC in Texas only to end up at Trident Community college where he plays on a church league flag football team to JUCO at Okie A&M (where he he never so much as practices) before he then transfers to ISU as a 3*.... there's a reason.

Could end up as a feel good story, but I wouldn't place any money on it.

If a kid goes from 4* recruit in high school, bails on Georgia, then plans to enroll at Navaro CC in Texas only to end up at Trident Community college where he plays on a church league flag football team to JUCO at Okie A&M (where he he never so much as practices) before he then transfers to ISU as a 3*.... there's a reason.

I agree completely if the kid went unnoticed out of high school then played somewhere for a year is one thing but to be a four star then not play, then take a year off. It seems that there is a great reason why schools weren't all over him after he transfered from georgia

This year's game will have added importance as I am sure many recruits in that day for official visits and to witness what a night game (hopefully nice weather) at Kinnick is like when it will be amped up!!! If it is a nice day with lot of time to tailgate and drink, it will be a loud first half at least. Don't want to lose at home on such a big weekend. Bring in Mitch King and Matt Kroul and Pat Angerer pregame to get the boys fired up in the locker room. Do massive fireworks right after final gun when their a## has been kicked.

The thing ISU fans hold onto is that they were tied with Iowa with under 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, so them being a bit double personality, they say on one hand that shows how bad the 12-0 Iowa team was, but on the back of the same hand it shows you how good ISU was to be hanging with a 12-0 Iowa team. You just can't even argue with them as there is no reasoning. Amazing that when Nebraska was in the Big 12 ISU fans believed Nebraska was a tough team but now in the Big 10 they are just mid level patsies so Iowa should beat them all the time.

I think most (I'd say 75%) ISU fans believe Iowa will win the game if they are truthful and if you look over at CyFan many are being realistic. While the balance of 25% are just plain homers full of hatred and delusion. Hope it is good weather that day so can enjoy the full day. If Iowa stops Warren (don't think he has McCaffrey type elusiveness) and Lazard (can't see how our DBs won't) then this game should not even be close unless we turn the ball over 5 times. I can guarantee you that Stanford game tape has been watched a dozen times of more by the ISU staff. Hope we never fall for that fumblerooski type play ever again.

I also hope a few blitzes are dialed up early on to rattle Lanning so he gets the happy feet back there.

Man this is spot on. Well done.

Iowa 38 Clowns 13, Iowa p[physically dominates the clowns this year giving them no chance. Iowa wins the game up front in the trenches.

Sounds like the path of a typical ISU recruit.

Iowa 38 Clowns 13, Iowa p[physically dominates the clowns this year giving them no chance. Iowa wins the game up front in the trenches.

If no major injuries and we are good on turnovers I would agree with this. Hope like heck we have decent special teams with Kicker and Punter. I just don't see how ISU's offense will score enough. I have not watched any Toledo video, but assume the offense is less spread formation??? Probably should look up some video and see what he was running. Whoever the ISU lineman is that will be taking on Jaleel that night better eat his Wheaties. ISU has no real strength left on defense in my opinion. Don't see how they stand up against our offense unless we have turnovers or Beathard was injured.

As always, it will be an interesting game. I haven't broken down a game since last season and I'm kind of itching to do so... so here's my take in early August:

Best Match Up To Watch: King and Mabin vs Lazard

ISU's receiving corp, unlike the last couple years, takes a pretty steep drop off after Lazard. Dondre Daley is the guy who will line up opposite Lazard and he was ISU's 5th leading receiver last season. That's a big drop off. Matt Campbell has already made it clear that they are going to line Lazard up all over the field in order to try and create mismatches and let him make plays. Desmond King or not, Lazard is a match-up nightmare at 6'5'' 223 lbs. Plus Iowa typically likes to keep King on one side of the field and Mabin on the other. I'm not sure we'll see a whole lot of King vs Lazard in this game because the tape proves it isn't wise to test Desmond. Mabin will likely be the guy who needs to step up, and he has the experience and ability to do so. I'm sure Lazard will get his, but if Mabin can limit him to average or below average numbers it will be a huge help for Iowa in this game.

Keys to winning for both teams:

Iowa's offense - Get the ground game going. As always, it's that simple. Iowa's offensive line should be more than capable of handling the ISU defensive front. Demond Tucker is a pretty good player, but Sean Welsh is better and James Daniels is a year older. They should be able to limit his impact on the inside, and ISU's outside pass rushers are weak. Hopefully CJ will be 100% healthy. His play making ability with his legs was huge in last year's game, and it could play a huge role in this one as well because you know Campbell and Company will be selling out to stop Iowa's traditional rushing attack. This is like clock work saying this, but if Iowa can establish the run CJ will make them pay with the play action pass. He's deadly accurate when he needs to be as he showed in last years game, and he has the targets to in the WR corp to make them pay. Vandeberg is a proven commodity. McCarron is capable. Jay Scheel and Jerminic Smith will be looking to establish themselves. Since Scheel is an Iowa boy it would be awesome to see him connect for a deep TD over the top and set Kinnick on fire early on in this game.

Iowa's defense: Beat up Joel Lanning. Eat up that weak and inexperienced offensive line. Jaleel Johnson should be a man among boys on the interior. I think Nelson and Hesse are capable of providing a spark from the outside, but I won't be expecting a whole lot of play making from whomever is matched up with Campos. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa is able to get to Lanning at will. Their offensive line is that weak. If they happen to be hanging on by a thread then mix in some blitz packages and confuse them. I don't believe Warren will have an impact at all in this game because they won't be able to get a push up front. Iowa's defense is too strong against the run. ISU's best hope is getting some big plays out of their receivers so, like I said before, whomever is on Lazard is going to need to bring their A game.

ISU offense: Try to establish the run with both Warren and Lanning. Get the read option game going. Do whatever you can to open things up a bit for the receivers down the field and then try to get the ball to them to make plays. It's likely that ISU will have a game plan in place that they'll shift to if the run game isn't working. They'll get Lazard and Ryen in motion and move them around the field to try and get them into space. It will most likely be short routes and maybe a few trick plays because their offensive line won't be giving Lanning a lot of time to survey the field. Whatever they do they need to keep the game plan simple because Lanning is not a bright dude and if things get complicated he'll start to make mistakes.

ISU defense: Sell out to stop the run and get to CJ. Make Iowa's receivers beat you. I don't think ISU's defensive backfield is near as good as it seems like most ISU fans do, but that doesn't matter. You still have to sell out to stop the run and hope your dbacks can contain the receivers and even make one or two game changing plays. Tackling, tackling, and more tackling will be key for these guys. They've flat out sucked at tackling for awhile now. If I'm Matt Campbell that's the first thing I would have focused on in camp. Good, solid, fundamental tackling drills. The Cyclones give up so many big plays because they can't tackle. CJ had a highlight reel day against them last year because they couldn't tackle him.

Prediction: I don't think Iowa's offense will light the world on fire in this game, but I think they'll do more than enough to win by double digits. I predict the score will be something like 24-10 or 27-10. Iowa's defense will slam the door shut on the ISU offense. They'll create a couple big plays that will put Iowa in a position to score. Lazard might get in the endzone once, but it won't be enough to matter. I think Warren will held under 100 yards. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Lanning is their leading rusher. Like usual, I think the game will be much more one sided than it appears on the scoreboard. Iowa will end up with 200+ more yards than ISU does on offense, but because they eat away at the clock and settle for a FG or punt at times the scoreboard won't reflect the dominance.

Coach Campbell reminds me a lot of a young KF. Solid D, Run game to eat clock wear out the other team and good special teams. I predict the Clones will become a much more disciplined and fundamentally sound team with him at the helm.

Coach Campbell reminds me a lot of a young KF. Solid D, Run game to eat clock wear out the other team and good special teams. I predict the Clones will become a much more disciplined and fundamentally sound team with him at the helm.

If that is the case, he is doomed to fail in the Big12. Patterson kind of tried this, but had to go to a wide open offense. Even with a good D, game in game out you have to put up 30 in the Big12 to win.

Well looks like Iowa has no chance this year. Cowturd picks Iowa for the playoffs and now the Cyclones have a 3 star player. Lot of lawns going to get mowed on Saturday's in Hawkland.

If ISU wants to move to a more power-oriented run-game, they could be in for a rude awakening. They don't have the horses to out-physical many teams, which happens to be one of Iowa's most consistent qualities.

Their new coach and staff have a reputation of developing good OL that runs the ball.
They do, but I don't think they have the right pieces to work with right now, and such a change needs a season or two to really take hold.

I'll tell you my 'opinion'...ISU should have hired Ken Niumatalolo as their head coach. ISU can't recruit well enough to keep up with 'spread' Jones's in the B12, so bringing in the 'Spread VEER' (flexbone, whatever you want to call it) would have set them apart and made it really difficult to prepare for...(Like how everyone has a hard time with Georgia Tech and Navy) and they can actually get 'athletes' that can play better 'D' than those 2 schools....Campbell will 'fail' miserably trying to do what he wants to do................

I'll tell you my 'opinion'...ISU should have hired Ken Niumatalolo as their head coach. ISU can't recruit well enough to keep up with 'spread' Jones's in the B12, so bringing in the 'Spread VEER' (flexbone, whatever you want to call it) would have set them apart and made it really difficult to prepare for...(Like how everyone has a hard time with Georgia Tech and Navy) and they can actually get 'athletes' that can play better 'D' than those 2 schools....Campbell will 'fail' miserably trying to do what he wants to do................
so you ridicule someone when they haven't seen the o-line yet you can already say that he will fail without playing a game....reasonable

You have seen and evaluated ISU's O'line? Sweet! Tell us more.....
Speculating just like you, but considering they were below average last year and lost a few starters and some key depth guys, it'd be pretty easy to assume they're going to be below average this year as well, if not worse.

Last year iowa rushed for 260 yards and held the cyclones to 60 yards. Granted cj scrambled for 77 yards but canzeri and daniels has 32 carries for 180 yards (5.6 yards per carry). That was before ferentz trusted Wadley with the ball. With iowas OL this year, the Daniels/Wadley combination should be lethal and setup the play action pass. It may look boring but iowa needs to just pound it right down their throats with the ground game and not try to get too cute with 1st down passes and the like.

Last year, iowa's opening drive was pass run pass punt. Their next drive was run run pass run run run pass pass pass FG. Next drive was run, broken play, sack, punt. Next drive was qb scramble, run, pass on 3rd and 1, punt.

My point with the above is iowa looked like mostly crap in the first half until their last two drives because they kept trying to throw the ball aroind instead of pounding it down their throats.

Isu fans also like to forget that late in the 4th quarter iowa had an 87 yard drive wiped away because of a canzeri fumble that never should've happened.

This game shouldn't be close and iowa will be a 2 touchdown+ favorite, but we all know how that goes.

If your buddies want to bet on iowa state straight up then that's the best bet you could possibly get and you should lunge at it. If they want the points though I'd be too scared.