Isu prediction

I think the difference between Hawk fan and Clone fan is the fact that Iowa has rivalries with orher schools, whereas ISU doesn't. Iowa's tradition vs Minnesota, and Wisconsin is much richer and deeper than the ISU game. Iowa also has a budding rivalry vs Nebraska. ISU has none of this, the only real focused rival you have is Iowa.

I also think you are delusional if you don't think the Iowa game is ISU #Superbowl. When you ask an ISU fan to compare the last 17 years of the two programs, the first, last, and only thing they will talk about is their record vs Iowa. Iowa fan on the other hand will talk about multiple B1G championships, multiple BCS bowl games, multiple Jan 1 Bowl games, they will talk about big time nationally televised games vs multiple programs, they will talk about B1G coach of the year honors, national coach of the year honors, they will talk about All Americans, and 1st round draft picks, they will talk about the dozens of players on the NFL. Iowa fan will talk about OVERALL EXCELLECNE. ISU fan only cares about that record vs Iowa. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Fan bases fall back on the "facts" or data to support their point of view. For Iowa State, it's their record vs. Iowa. For Iowa, it's the overall program performance. So the two fan bases end up talking past each other, or at least talking about different things.

An observation: in 2003 while at the Iowa-ISU game (when ISU had won the previous 5 games) the pump-up video playing as the teams came out for the game highlighted the McCarney accomplishments (things like a bowl game win, 9 wins in 2000, Top 10 ranking in 2002) and included in the "program highlights" was 5 straight wins over Iowa. It struck me as weird to put 5 straight wins over a specific team on the same level as the other accomplishments.

During the time period between 1983 and 1997, it would never have struck me to include 15 wins over ISU as a program accomplishment. Conference titles, bowl appearances, bowl wins, all of those things matter much more.

Denvog, I value my left nut more than any football game so let's be clear about that. I'm not sure if you saw the last few Iowa State/Texas games but I will have to point out that lately Texas hasn't been so tough to beat. I am not sure why you feel that by mentioning the win loss record of a team to help clarify my postition gives you belief and confirmation that is "our" Super bowl game but if it makes you feel better please continue. I also see that you are still bitter about a terrible iowa state team winning when the Hawks went 10-1 wow ...oh,I would like to throw you props, congrats to the Hawks on winning 15 in row! In the 80's

Can we bring back the good ISU posters? I mean common Bryce, Mj4cy, let's pick it up some. I don't thin many of your Cyfan brothers can even follow simple logic.

Fan bases fall back on the "facts" or data to support their point of view. For Iowa State, it's their record vs. Iowa. For Iowa, it's the overall program performance. So the two fan bases end up talking past each other, or at least talking about different things.

An observation: in 2003 while at the Iowa-ISU game (when ISU had won the previous 5 games) the pump-up video playing as the teams came out for the game highlighted the McCarney accomplishments (things like a bowl game win, 9 wins in 2000, Top 10 ranking in 2002) and included in the "program highlights" was 5 straight wins over Iowa. It struck me as weird to put 5 straight wins over a specific team on the same level as the other accomplishments.

During the time period between 1983 and 1997, it would never have struck me to include 15 wins over ISU as a program accomplishment. Conference titles, bowl appearances, bowl wins, all of those things matter much more.

That's true but 5 straight wins vs. Iowa is a big deal to a team like ISU. 5 straight wins vs any team with a pulse would be impressive (hell 5 straight vs UNI would be an accomplishment for them). I would liken it to Iowa winning 5 straight vs OSU. I would certainly brag about it if that happened. They are just looking for ways to keep the fan base interested in a terrible program. Hard to fault them for that because it seems to work very well for some reason.

Reactions: trj

What I am trying to say is if I'm going to stack up Iowa vs Nebraska or Penn St. let's say since 2000, heck I don't even look at head to head record. It is irrelevant to the conversation. It is about conference titles, OVERALL record, Bowl games, BCS appearances, finishes in the top 25/top 10.

A teams record vs a single other team means nothing.

What I am trying to say is if I'm going to stack up Iowa vs Nebraska or Penn St. let's say since 2000, heck I don't even look at head to head record. It is irrelevant to the conversation. It is about conference titles, OVERALL record, Bowl games, BCS appearances, finishes in the top 25/top 10.

A good example of this is Michigan. It seems as though we have beaten Michigan a few times in a row not too long ago. However, I don't have any idea what their record is against them over the last 5 years and I don't care. Clearly overall they are the superior program when you look at their history, and it feels good to beat them, but I wouldn't go banging my chest on message boards if we won 3 in a row against them. I feel the Iowa vs Michigan game is way more important than the Iowa vs Iowa State game simply because it's a conference game and they are a national powerhouse. For Clone fans it feels like the complete opposite.

A good example of this is Michigan. It seems as though we have beaten Michigan a few times in a row not too long ago. However, I don't have any idea what their record is against them over the last 5 years and I don't care. Clearly overall they are the superior program when you look at their history, and it feels good to beat them, but I wouldn't go banging my chest on message boards if we won 3 in a row against them. I feel the Iowa vs Michigan game is way more important than the Iowa vs Iowa State game simply because it's a conference game and they are a national powerhouse. For Clone fans it feels like the complete opposite.

That is why I also listed Penn St. We have won what 8 of the last 10? Yet if I am going to compare us to them on a success level, I don't even look at or think about our head to head record. I look at all the other things I listed (overall record, conference championship, CCG appearances, BSC bowls, Bowls, final rankings, etc.).

The thing is this doesn't even cross a Clown fans mind. They go right to head to head, because it is simply the only game they care about.......therefor I call it their obvious #Superbowl.

Reactions: DJL

Agreed. Overall record vs an opponent is only one part of the equation. I was just trying to think about it from an ISU fan's point of view (very dangerous, I know). When you don't have much to fall back on, then record against opponent becomes the default.

Agreed. Overall record vs an opponent is only one part of the equation. I was just trying to think about it from an ISU fan's point of view (very dangerous, I know). When you don't have much to fall back on, then record against opponent becomes the default.

Precisely. Which is why they get so butthurt about the #SuperBowl comments. Because they know it's true. They just deflect and pretend like it's not, but when the same thing happens over and over again (ISU fans get their hopes up and then they suck again) it is ALWAYS their default excuse. They wear it when it's convenient and deny it when it's not. It's not convenient right now because they have a new coach and they are undefeated.

As always, it will be an interesting game. I haven't broken down a game since last season and I'm kind of itching to do so... so here's my take in early August:

Best Match Up To Watch: King and Mabin vs Lazard

ISU's receiving corp, unlike the last couple years, takes a pretty steep drop off after Lazard. Dondre Daley is the guy who will line up opposite Lazard and he was ISU's 5th leading receiver last season. That's a big drop off. Matt Campbell has already made it clear that they are going to line Lazard up all over the field in order to try and create mismatches and let him make plays. Desmond King or not, Lazard is a match-up nightmare at 6'5'' 223 lbs. Plus Iowa typically likes to keep King on one side of the field and Mabin on the other. I'm not sure we'll see a whole lot of King vs Lazard in this game because the tape proves it isn't wise to test Desmond. Mabin will likely be the guy who needs to step up, and he has the experience and ability to do so. I'm sure Lazard will get his, but if Mabin can limit him to average or below average numbers it will be a huge help for Iowa in this game.

Keys to winning for both teams:

Iowa's offense - Get the ground game going. As always, it's that simple. Iowa's offensive line should be more than capable of handling the ISU defensive front. Demond Tucker is a pretty good player, but Sean Welsh is better and James Daniels is a year older. They should be able to limit his impact on the inside, and ISU's outside pass rushers are weak. Hopefully CJ will be 100% healthy. His play making ability with his legs was huge in last year's game, and it could play a huge role in this one as well because you know Campbell and Company will be selling out to stop Iowa's traditional rushing attack. This is like clock work saying this, but if Iowa can establish the run CJ will make them pay with the play action pass. He's deadly accurate when he needs to be as he showed in last years game, and he has the targets to in the WR corp to make them pay. Vandeberg is a proven commodity. McCarron is capable. Jay Scheel and Jerminic Smith will be looking to establish themselves. Since Scheel is an Iowa boy it would be awesome to see him connect for a deep TD over the top and set Kinnick on fire early on in this game.

Iowa's defense: Beat up Joel Lanning. Eat up that weak and inexperienced offensive line. Jaleel Johnson should be a man among boys on the interior. I think Nelson and Hesse are capable of providing a spark from the outside, but I won't be expecting a whole lot of play making from whomever is matched up with Campos. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa is able to get to Lanning at will. Their offensive line is that weak. If they happen to be hanging on by a thread then mix in some blitz packages and confuse them. I don't believe Warren will have an impact at all in this game because they won't be able to get a push up front. Iowa's defense is too strong against the run. ISU's best hope is getting some big plays out of their receivers so, like I said before, whomever is on Lazard is going to need to bring their A game.

ISU offense: Try to establish the run with both Warren and Lanning. Get the read option game going. Do whatever you can to open things up a bit for the receivers down the field and then try to get the ball to them to make plays. It's likely that ISU will have a game plan in place that they'll shift to if the run game isn't working. They'll get Lazard and Ryen in motion and move them around the field to try and get them into space. It will most likely be short routes and maybe a few trick plays because their offensive line won't be giving Lanning a lot of time to survey the field. Whatever they do they need to keep the game plan simple because Lanning is not a bright dude and if things get complicated he'll start to make mistakes.

ISU defense: Sell out to stop the run and get to CJ. Make Iowa's receivers beat you. I don't think ISU's defensive backfield is near as good as it seems like most ISU fans do, but that doesn't matter. You still have to sell out to stop the run and hope your dbacks can contain the receivers and even make one or two game changing plays. Tackling, tackling, and more tackling will be key for these guys. They've flat out sucked at tackling for awhile now. If I'm Matt Campbell that's the first thing I would have focused on in camp. Good, solid, fundamental tackling drills. The Cyclones give up so many big plays because they can't tackle. CJ had a highlight reel day against them last year because they couldn't tackle him.

Prediction: I don't think Iowa's offense will light the world on fire in this game, but I think they'll do more than enough to win by double digits. I predict the score will be something like 24-10 or 27-10. Iowa's defense will slam the door shut on the ISU offense. They'll create a couple big plays that will put Iowa in a position to score. Lazard might get in the endzone once, but it won't be enough to matter. I think Warren will held under 100 yards. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Lanning is their leading rusher. Like usual, I think the game will be much more one sided than it appears on the scoreboard. Iowa will end up with 200+ more yards than ISU does on offense, but because they eat away at the clock and settle for a FG or punt at times the scoreboard won't reflect the dominance.
And after we win by two scores or more cyfans will claim they actually won the game.

Don't post much but have a nephew who knows some staff at ISU..Park won't be starting QB...Lanning is QB hands down. They've added several new transfers to defense and new Center on offense line..Cautious optimism I guess is word in Ames. I agree that Campbell does seem like kinda a young KF..He doesn't seem to bs and sugar coat things. Certainly appears to be able to recruit. The Kam White kid from south I think CW said best recruit in while because he had no relation to ISU at all and they pulled him from deep in SEC land. And he appears to be good get for anyone team really. Will be interesting to see if Campbell can right that sunken ship he appears to be a great recuiter thus far.

As for the game..it seems every other year it's a weird game. It's been that way for a while. I'm curious to see how their UNI game goes and if they can just coast along without showing much..They have a stud RB in Warren and Stud WR in Lazard..outside that don't know much.

I don't see KF ever sending valentine's to players. Or claiming 19 national championships when in fact he has zero. Or any other of the silly marketing things that Campbell has done. Maybe they have similar ideas about how to approach the game, but they are completely opposite in their approach to everything else coaching.

Can we bring back the good ISU posters? I mean common Bryce, Mj4cy, let's pick it up some. I don't thin many of your Cyfan brothers can even follow simple logic.

This thread went stupid before I got involved. I have Iowa State at 4 wins for record.

Precisely. Which is why they get so butthurt about the #SuperBowl comments. Because they know it's true. They just deflect and pretend like it's not, but when the same thing happens over and over again (ISU fans get their hopes up and then they suck again) it is ALWAYS their default excuse. They wear it when it's convenient and deny it when it's not. It's not convenient right now because they have a new coach and they are undefeated.

For me, Iowa is early in the season and is a benchmark. Typically if they win against Iowa, they have a chance to go to a bowl. If they don't, and especially if they get blown out, the season is functionally over.

And again, this is the reason I am for dropping the game.

Bobbly Leath, Nigel Tribune, Jordan Wallace, Josh Coleman are some of the names I read didn't go to camp for ISU.

Also, from the way they are recruiting the must be expecting to force out a lot more Rhoads guys because they have already gone over the number of scholarships available and are continuing to recruit more guys.

This thread went stupid before I got involved. I have Iowa State at 4 wins for record.

4 wins would be a great 1st year for Campbell. I really think this might be the top end you should expect though, as it will be a transition for sure. Don't be shocked if UNI comes in there and punches them in the mouth and takes a win. I'm shocked how many ISU fan thinks he is going to take them to a bowl game in his first year.

i think 4 wins would be a good start to the campbell era. i see isu have 5 high potential loss games (IOWA, TCU, BAYLOR, OKIE ST, OKLAHOMA,) 3 high win probability wins (UNI, SAN HOSE ST, KANSAS) leaving TEXAS, KSU, TEX TECH, and WVU. 4-6 wins is my target for good year but understand things can go horribly wrong also. heres to hoping for the best seasons possible for both teams!

For me, Iowa is early in the season and is a benchmark. Typically if they win against Iowa, they have a chance to go to a bowl. If they don't, and especially if they get blown out, the season is functionally over.

And again, this is the reason I am for dropping the game.

For me it is just the opposite, beat ISU and I can't gauge what type of team Iowa will potentially be. Lose to ISU and it raises a bunch of red flags, if ISU can exploit Iowa's weaknesses there are probably 5 or 6 teams on Iowa's schedule that can do the same.