Is it time to panic yet?

He might be a decent coach, but college basketball is all about recruiting.

He's got some decent players (minus a true point guard). I'm no BBall guru...but something is just missing. Fran just doesn't have "it". There's just something missing from his teams. Lots of tall guys...but they don't play "basketball".

Want a good comparison. Bucky. They don't have many stars either, but their last two coaches know how to put a team together, assemble the pieces and encourage chemistry. The right combination of players.

With the bench of coaches he has...what the hell are they teaching?

At the game left early, first time ever, along with everyone else. About 6 empty sections for a big-time opponent. The team couldn't even make it interesting. Saw a team with an excellent point guard, that team was not Iowa, shredded our press.
I just don't understand our offense. Cook draws a double team down low and turned to kick it out, nobody was there. None of our 3pt. shooters were even fighting to find an open spot. Cook has to take an unbalanced shot.
We keep trying to hit our cutters with pinpoint bullet passes, poorly thrown. We rotated the ball from side to side one time. Ended with a 3 pointer. We have 5 spot up shooters trying to drive pass faster and quicker players. We come out in the second half and have three straight stops, while Cook doesn't touch the ball on offense. All the while Mac is complaining about a couple of close calls.
The defense looks so bad because of one reason. We need 3 defenders to stop dribble penetration. Our guards just can't guard anyone with quickness. Our Bigs have to collapse and poof, the kick out for a wide open 3. Folks I don't see any solution, Conner might have helped but he won't be back for at least a month, probably the season. Stop pressing, play a half court game with multiple passes. Get the ball to our Bigs every play. It would look a lot like, say.... Lick ball, unfortunately, that's the kind of team we have right now.
Sad, but true I'm afraid.

tenor.gif

In my opinion we can turn the season around if we drop to 8 man rotation
Bohannon moss baer cook nunge Garza Dailey and either Wagner or pemsl not both and next year add cmac and Joe to that group we play good till its all 5 bench players in these are 20 year old kids top physical shape bohannon moss cook all need 30 minutes a night get the ball to cook on the block every possession and spread the floor its not jr high not everyone plays in my opinion ..........nunge and Garza can both shoot

Some of the lineups Fran threw out there were just so slow and unathletic. Each player made one nice play then 3 bad. No chemistry, bad passing angles, things just so basic.

This team has no team leader on the floor at any time. Put Dean Oliver on this team and you would have something.

No Alpha - No upper class leaders, no one to take control when we need a bucket. Cook could become that. I don't understand the whole sale line up changes still happening. You can't have stretches of games where at least 1 of Cook, Jbo and Baer are on the court. Last night that happened way too often.

That was pretty bad.... Understatement city I know. Beyond Cooks effort there isn't anything positive to talk about really. Their defense individually and collectively is so bad. If you can't defend the dribbler and then constantly help too much and leave wide open shooters good looks your going to have nights like that. I think Fran falls in love with the 2/3 zone too much as we give up nothing but open looks when we play that not to mention can't rebound if they do miss when in it. I just don't even know where to go other then hope there's a glimmer of hope as the season plays out...

I keep seeing people say in this thread that Iowa has the talent. Some say Sweet 16 talent. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, especially since I'm an ISU fan, I just don't see it at all.

Lets compare ISU and Iowa. I think we can agree Babb/Wigginton/Jackson/Lard/Young is a better lineup than what Iowa is putting out there right now. The Big 12 is very good but ISU is also looking at a season where they are one of the worst teams in the league. Right now Massey Ratings do not have them favored in a game the rest of the season.

As a previous poster said, The lack of ability to keep in front of their man on the perimeter is setting up every defensive problem Iowa has right now. They collapse on the driver and then the corner 3 is open every time. That's one of the best shots in basketball bar none. That shot is going to be available until there is more athletic ability in the backcourt.

I keep seeing people say in this thread that Iowa has the talent. Some say Sweet 16 talent. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, especially since I'm an ISU fan, I just don't see it at all.

Lets compare ISU and Iowa. I think we can agree Babb/Wigginton/Jackson/Lard/Young is a better lineup than what Iowa is putting out there right now. The Big 12 is very good but ISU is also looking at a season where they are one of the worst teams in the league. Right now Massey Ratings do not have them favored in a game the rest of the season.

As a previous poster said, The lack of ability to keep in front of their man on the perimeter is setting up every defensive problem Iowa has right now. They collapse on the driver and then the corner 3 is open every time. That's one of the best shots in basketball bar none. That shot is going to be available until there is more athletic ability in the backcourt.

Iowa has a lot of talent - just not in back court. Nunge, Garza, Cook, Pemsl, Baer would play on any team. Jordan wouldn't likely start at PG but he'd play. Moss would probably get minutes but... and guys like Dailey (who has gotten better but he's not anywhere near where you need to be), Wagner, Kreiner, Uhl, Ellingson... they create this "depth" that Iowa boasted about that really isn't depth - it's a stable of liability. I am now in the camp that this could be a pretty good team with another alpha G - PG or SG, they just don't have it. Doesn't mean that ALL of the rest of the players are crap. But I will admit at least 4 or 5 of guys aren't good enough.

did Nunge get hurt or is he in Fran's "dog house"
Pemsl, ellington, and Daily all had more minutes then Jack, that should never happen

Iowa has a lot of talent - just not in back court. Nunge, Garza, Cook, Pemsl, Baer would play on any team. Jordan wouldn't likely start at PG but he'd play. Moss would probably get minutes but... and guys like Dailey (who has gotten better but he's not anywhere near where you need to be)

You just answered my question for me. You named 5 frontcourt guys who "would play" on any team, one guard who might not start, and a spot minutes guard. That's not anywhere close to NCAA tournament talent, let alone Sweet 16 talent.

Again, ISU is not a tourney team. They are going to be lucky to make the NIT. There are exactly 2 players I think would improve ISU's roster, Cook and Baer. Not that Iowa doesn't have other good players but not anybody I would want taking minutes from any of ISU's other guys. Maybe JBo but he and Jackson are basically the same player but Jackson is better on defense. Love Nunge, think he will be a star, but this year he's learning.

You just answered my question for me. You named 5 frontcourt guys who "would play" on any team, one guard who might not start, and a spot minutes guard. That's not anywhere close to NCAA tournament talent, let alone Sweet 16 talent.

Again, ISU is not a tourney team. They are going to be lucky to make the NIT. There are exactly 2 players I think would improve ISU's roster, Cook and Baer. Not that Iowa doesn't have other good players but not anybody I would want taking minutes from any of ISU's other guys. Maybe JBo but he and Jackson are basically the same player but Jackson is better on defense. Love Nunge, think he will be a star, but this year he's learning.

Correct, we are saying the same things...except you say you don't see ANY talent on the team and then talk about how much better ISU is afterwards...but then chase that with "ISU is not a tourney team"

No Alpha - No upper class leaders, no one to take control when we need a bucket. Cook could become that. I don't understand the whole sale line up changes still happening. You can't have stretches of games where at least 1 of Cook, Jbo and Baer are on the court. Last night that happened way too often.

Fran’s line shifts are stupid, they don’t make sense and never have.

Face it, the promise of next year's recruiting class will probably save Francine's job. The real problem is not too many players have improved under Fran's regime.

Face it, the promise of next year's recruiting class will probably save Francine's job. The real problem is not too many players have improved under Fran's regime.

I agree with the first sentence. Vehemently disagree with the 2nd sentence. He's had 4 straight years of All B1G players who weren't high recruits. He's been pretty good at developing players, just not real good at getting good enough ones to start with.

Some thoughts:

There are, what, 351 D-1 teams in basketball. Our back court's quicks and athleticism is in the bottom 51. Who do we have coming in that is going to change that equation? And, outside of Cook, the front court isn't teeming with athleticism either.

I don't believe Fran teaches the little things that other coaches, such as Belein do, e.g., defensive technique, Garza taking 18-19 foot shots instead of lining up behind the 3 point line.

Apathy and not anger is starting to set in among the fan base and that usually ushers in the end of a coaching tenure. Hope not.

Some thoughts:

There are, what, 351 D-1 teams in basketball. Our back court's quicks and athleticism is in the bottom 51. Who do we have coming in that is going to change that equation? And, outside of Cook, the front court isn't teeming with athleticism either.

I don't believe Fran teaches the little things that other coaches, such as Belein do, e.g., defensive technique, Garza taking 18-19 foot shots instead of lining up behind the 3 point line.

Apathy and not anger is starting to set in among the fan base and that usually ushers in the end of a coaching tenure. Hope not.

Joe Wieskamp

Latest posts