Is it time to panic yet?

Tell that to Marble, White, Uthoff, and Jok. Nunge and Garza are freshmen bigs. If you don't think their age matters you're crazy. I do agree that Fran is making an average team look bad. But I think that's been a rare occurrence under Fran. I know there are some that will disagree with that.
I agree as think he’s done more with less than we have this year and for the most part I’ve been a Fran supporter. Here’s another concern with your point than. If we have to be a developmental program where our seniors are going to carry us, than we cannot have unbalanced classes where we don’t have any seniors for a few years.

Season’s over. Why panic.

Bohannon—sophomore slump
Moss—Mr. inconsistent
Nunge—great white ghost
Cook—elite sans defense, handles, jump shot
Baer—glue guy: need gorilla not Elmer’s
Garza—elite vs. non-P5, but ok
Ellingson— senior slump (preceded by FR, SO, JR slump)
Pemsl—ok +BA attitude
Kreiner—ok a poor man’s Baer
Wagner—ok +defense

Too many guys playing just okay most of the time with holes in their games.

And a coach that thinks freshman-sophomore players with no break down PG should be able to work through scoring slumps which almost always coincide with bullfighter defense.

Putting your two hands in shape of “T” doesn’t mean you’re going to get TB. Use them and design a set play which somebody on that staff is actually very good at doing.

But....whatever

This is the same team we saw at the beginning of the year: No athleticism in the back court means inability to prevent dribble-drive penetration, resulting in lay-ups, easy dump-offs and wide open three's.

Crean had it right. This team over-helps on penetration, but, what he didn't clarify is that it has no other choice. When you have no one on the perimeter that can stay in front of the ball, the rest of the team simply has no choice but to be out of position.

Fran can tinker all he wants, and rant and rave, etc., etc., but when the pieces aren't there, they aren't there.

Season’s over. Why panic.

Bohannon—sophomore slump
Moss—Mr. inconsistent
Nunge—great white ghost
Cook—elite sans defense, handles, jump shot
Baer—glue guy: need gorilla not Elmer’s
Garza—elite vs. non-P5, but ok
Ellingson— senior slump (preceded by FR, SO, JR slump)
Pemsl—ok +BA attitude
Kreiner—ok a poor man’s Baer
Wagner—ok +defense

Too many guys playing just okay most of the time with holes in their games.

And a coach that thinks freshman-sophomore players with no break down PG should be able to work through scoring slumps which almost always coincide with bullfighter defense.

Putting your two hands in shape of “T” doesn’t mean you’re going to get TB. Use them and design a set play which somebody on that staff is actually very good at doing.

But....whatever
I still can’t understand why we see so little Nunge when he isn’t making mistakes and he looks pretty good on defense. Actually it’s probably because Fran just loves scoring.

Here’s a really scary thought. Cook tries his luck with the NBA after this season and Fran can’t get another guard for next year. Iowa misses the tournament for the 3rd strait year with the Bohannon group. Yikes :(

I still can’t understand why we see so little Nunge when he isn’t making mistakes and he looks pretty good on defense. Actually it’s probably because Fran just loves scoring.
Agree 100%
Offense has been pathetic this year. Should cheat on it and love some defense.

I watch this team and literally can’t figure out what they actually do in practice. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just played knockout and 21 all week.

Lol. Funny idea. I do see the things that we practice though. We do have flashes of brilliance. I think this team has a concentration problem. We start out games competitive then about midway first half we start turning over the ball by forcing things and not executing. Low and behold the other team puts up a big run. Then we are playing catch up the rest of the game. I see the problem. I'm sure someone on the Iowa coaching staff sees it too. I am at a complete loss of how you fix such a problem and at this point I believe the coaching staff is lost too.

This is the same team we saw at the beginning of the year: No athleticism in the back court means inability to prevent dribble-drive penetration, resulting in lay-ups, easy dump-offs and wide open three's.

Crean had it right. This team over-helps on penetration, but, what he didn't clarify is that it has no other choice. When you have no one on the perimeter that can stay in front of the ball, the rest of the team simply has no choice but to be out of position.

Fran can tinker all he wants, and rant and rave, etc., etc., but when the pieces aren't there, they aren't there.
Same team as last year and the defense wasn’t this bad. And the offense is a lot worse. Same team for most part.

Not that Moss is setting the world on fire, but Connor and JorBo are not even a good DII backcourt. Teams would lick their chops at that opportunity.

gotta combat it somehow. i would say that conner is at least as quick as JBo but at 6'5" is a helluva lot longer and that does help him on defense. it's all we got. jbo at pg is a losing proposition. jbo at sg is a winning proposition.

I watch this team and literally can’t figure out what they actually do in practice. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just played knockout and 21 all week.
This is actually very funny. Made me snort-laugh-hurt. But thanks!

I think Nunge has the potential to be a star, but he's still figuring things out. He'll make the occasional defensive play or three, but right now he doesn't have a good feel for positioning, and doesn't move with any purpose offensively. He needs to learn how to snap his body when he cuts and play with controlled aggression. Somewhat like a young Uthoff, he's a bit of a wallflower that's a little soft. The off-season will be good for him.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but if we can't even make the NIT this season, we need to cut the cord with Franny. We have enough talent right now to be a sweet 16 team and we look like dogshit. I highly doubt Wieskamp is gonna make that huge of a difference next year as a freshman. IMO, it is obvious Fran isn't taking us anywhere. It's sad cuz I really like the guy. Great pressers with mucho info!

No we dont have that talent level.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but if we can't even make the NIT this season, we need to cut the cord with Franny. We have enough talent right now to be a sweet 16 team and we look like dogshit. I highly doubt Wieskamp is gonna make that huge of a difference next year as a freshman. IMO, it is obvious Fran isn't taking us anywhere. It's sad cuz I really like the guy. Great pressers with mucho info!

I don't disagree at all. The players don't respond to Frannys tirades. No D.
We're gonna go down the same road as with KF. Keep around a few seasons too long....

Same team as last year and the defense wasn’t this bad. And the offense is a lot worse. Same team for most part.
Yeah, it's perplexing. Jok was a terrible defender, but, for whatever reason, the team itself played with more energy and attitude.

I wonder if all the offensive excitement that Jok brought energized the defense in some way. Another possibility would be a smaller rotation resulting in better continuity, or a combination of both. Otherwise I personally don't have a clue why the defense has regressed so much.

Yeah, it's perplexing. Jok was a terrible defender, but, for whatever reason, the team itself played with more energy and attitude.

I wonder if all the offensive excitement that Jok brought energized the defense in some way. Another possibility would be a smaller rotation resulting in better continuity, or a combination of both. Otherwise I personally don't have a clue why the defense has regressed so much.
agree.
“Salvage” season by shrinking rotation to 8. Teams play with 7-8 all the time.
If transfers happen, oh well.

And to think I was looking forward to this season.

Got that wrong.

I watched about 5 minutes of the game during the 1st half collapse before deciding not to waste my data: all Crean could do was talk about himself. Grimey

Latest posts