Is it time to panic yet?

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but if we can't even make the NIT this season, we need to cut the cord with Franny. We have enough talent right now to be a sweet 16 team and we look like dogshit. I highly doubt Wieskamp is gonna make that huge of a difference next year as a freshman. IMO, it is obvious Fran isn't taking us anywhere. It's sad cuz I really like the guy. Great pressers with mucho info!

McCaffrey has not got it done in any phase. I see no reason to believe we will be anything but a bottom team this year and unlike others I just don't see us being any better next year. A move needs to be made this year

I feel the program has grown stale. The lack of PG recruiting, notwithstanding, it just appears as if Fran has taken Iowa as far as he can. There has been no staff changes- and sometimes change can be good. I mean it seems like there’s no one that is any good at teaching defensive principles

I feel the program has grown stale. The lack of PG recruiting, notwithstanding, it just appears as if Fran has taken Iowa as far as he can. There has been no staff changes- and sometimes change can be good. I mean it seems like there’s no one that is any good at teaching defensive principles
Fran's not gonna be let go after this season. If he doesn't make a staffing change or at least bring in a quick juco pg, he'll probably be creating his own pink slip, IMO.

McCaffrey has not got it done in any phase. I see no reason to believe we will be anything but a bottom team this year and unlike others I just don't see us being any better next year. A move needs to be made this year
Hasn’t got it done in any phase? C’mon now. I’m all for criticism but that’s just not true.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but if we can't even make the NIT this season, we need to cut the cord with Franny. We have enough talent right now to be a sweet 16 team and we look like dogshit. I highly doubt Wieskamp is gonna make that huge of a difference next year as a freshman. IMO, it is obvious Fran isn't taking us anywhere. It's sad cuz I really like the guy. Great pressers with mucho info!
No, we don't have enough talent to be a Sweet 16 team. The rest of your comment is correct.

This is the same team we saw at the beginning of the year: No athleticism in the back court means inability to prevent dribble-drive penetration, resulting in lay-ups, easy dump-offs and wide open three's.

Crean had it right. This team over-helps on penetration, but, what he didn't clarify is that it has no other choice. When you have no one on the perimeter that can stay in front of the ball, the rest of the team simply has no choice but to be out of position.

Fran can tinker all he wants, and rant and rave, etc., etc., but when the pieces aren't there, they aren't there.
This is correct and I kept saying it to the TV, every time Crean kept talking about it.

I agree as think he’s done more with less than we have this year and for the most part I’ve been a Fran supporter. Here’s another concern with your point than. If we have to be a developmental program where our seniors are going to carry us, than we cannot have unbalanced classes where we don’t have any seniors for a few years.

Unbalanced classes are just something that every program is going to have to deal with with transfers. What we are paying for now is 2 bad classes in a row. It's gotta be hard to recruit to Iowa with such a large group of upperclassmen tho. We will have that problem again soon but hopefully the McCafferys and Wiescamp will soften the blow this time.

Unbalanced classes are just something that every program is going to have to deal with with transfers. What we are paying for now is 2 bad classes in a row. It's gotta be hard to recruit to Iowa with such a large group of upperclassmen tho. We will have that problem again soon but hopefully the McCafferys and Wiescamp will soften the blow this time.
Joe will help immediately. If Patrick doesn't figure out a way to gain 30 or 40 lbs, he won't be much help. He has a nice skill set but he'll get beat up and pushed around against BIG competition.

I don’t think that’s true about every program dealing with that and there are other things Fran could have done. For instance instead of Kriener or Dailey he could have taken a shot on a juco or grad transfer guard. It doesn’t pan out and you are out of the scholarship the next year and look to find someone else to make an impact.

Joe will help immediately. If Patrick doesn't figure out a way to gain 30 or 40 lbs, he won't be much help. He has a nice skill set but he'll get beat up and pushed around against BIG competition.

The hope is Garza, Nunge, Connor, and Wiscamp will be enough until Patrick is ready. That's probably better than Jok, Uhl, Baer, Ellingson, and Wagner.

The hope is Garza, Nunge, Connor, and Wiscamp will be enough until Patrick is ready. That's probably better than Jok, Uhl, Baer, Ellingson, and Wagner.
It probably is better than Jok, Uhl, Baer, Ellingson, and Wagner. That's a Lickliter line up. But that doesn't mean it'll be good enough to make a deep run in the Tournament or win a conference title. Nor do I have any confidence in Fran to coach them well enough to get them there.

I started to panic when I watched this team play in the Caymen Islands. It was an early grave when Iowa lost to Penn St. The time to panic has passed, this was just another nail in the coffin, losing at home to another ho hum team.

It probably is better than Jok, Uhl, Baer, Ellingson, and Wagner. That's a Lickliter line up. But that doesn't mean it'll be good enough to make a deep run in the Tournament or win a conference title. Nor do I have any confidence in Fran to coach them well enough to get them there.

I agree, but I wasn't talking about them being good enough to make a deep run. I was saying that we had our good, big class of seniors graduate that gave us 3 pretty good years, then had no one to keep us decent until the next big class became upperclassmen. Instead they all played as freshmen and we suck.

The hope is that this big class has a couple good years, then we don't suck when they graduate because we will still have decent players on the team, unlike last time.

At the game left early, first time ever, along with everyone else. About 6 empty sections for a big-time opponent. The team couldn't even make it interesting. Saw a team with an excellent point guard, that team was not Iowa, shredded our press.
I just don't understand our offense. Cook draws a double team down low and turned to kick it out, nobody was there. None of our 3pt. shooters were even fighting to find an open spot. Cook has to take an unbalanced shot.
We keep trying to hit our cutters with pinpoint bullet passes, poorly thrown. We rotated the ball from side to side one time. Ended with a 3 pointer. We have 5 spot up shooters trying to drive pass faster and quicker players. We come out in the second half and have three straight stops, while Cook doesn't touch the ball on offense. All the while Mac is complaining about a couple of close calls.
The defense looks so bad because of one reason. We need 3 defenders to stop dribble penetration. Our guards just can't guard anyone with quickness. Our Bigs have to collapse and poof, the kick out for a wide open 3. Folks I don't see any solution, Conner might have helped but he won't be back for at least a month, probably the season. Stop pressing, play a half court game with multiple passes. Get the ball to our Bigs every play. It would look a lot like, say.... Lick ball, unfortunately, that's the kind of team we have right now.

Latest posts