Is it time to panic yet?

You know Alford played in the 80's right? The game has changed. Do you have a more relevant example that is 6'0 and is as limited athletically as Bohannon who plays SG and excels at coming off screens? I really don't think there are any.

well, Michigan had 3 different guys last night (Livers, Poole and Robinson) stand in the corners all night and drain threes; and, they ran those three through picks and screens and along the baseline all night. That's more recent than Steve Alford.

Last edited:
once this team started losing to ass ranked OOC teams, I knew this season was a wash. no need to panic when you don't give a rat's ass.

This is me, exactly to a tee. That first loss in the Caymans and I was "uh oh", and it hasn't gotten much better. I knew that was a bad omen.

Honestly I've never cared so little about Iowa hoops. Another epic meltdown two years ago in Feb/Mar followed by an Early NIT exit last year, to one of the most disappointing seasons this year that I've ever seen, and boom. Here I am. Apathy territory. I've always liked Fran but am losing some faith.

Last edited:
image.png

well, Michigan had 3 different guys last night (Livers, Poole and Robinson) stand in the corners all night and drain threes; and, they ran those three through picks and screens and along the baseline all night. That's more recent than Steve Alford.

Actually, watching this video, which is basically the scoring from last night's game, watch Michigan's scoring plays. They don't set screens at all for the open 3's. They start a couple of possessions in the 2nd half with pick and roll action, but I don't see screens/picks at all for the baseline shooters. It's all spacing by Michigan, overhelping by Iowa, and open shots for Michigan. :)

Actually, watching this video, which is basically the scoring from last night's game, watch Michigan's scoring plays. They don't set screens at all for the open 3's. They start a couple of possessions in the 2nd half with pick and roll action, but I don't see screens/picks at all for the baseline shooters. It's all spacing by Michigan, overhelping by Iowa, and open shots for Michigan. :)

wambulance.gif

I went slow mo through those positions from the clips. Iowa wing defenders in 2-3 zone so many times a day late and a dollar short to cover Michigan wings and corners from the 3 line. Weak side wings on top and bottom are so sucked in around the paint area and Michigan finds that sweet spot in the middle of the zone for the kick out to the open shooters on the opposite side.

Iowa zone is not very active...very reactive. Hands and arms are kind of half-ass up..... not really disrupting the passing lanes. Hands start flying up when they try to pathetically close on the open shooter though.;)

Mr. Davis's teams had trouble defending the 3 to (probably due to the sagging), but he had his players play with their hands up being disruptive. Also probably helped with the excellent rebounding his teams had.

To bad we don't use our length more to our advantage and make ourselves bigger out there.

Watching the Illini @ Minny game. I think we might have a decent shot at beating Illinois, unless they're just having a really bad shooting night.

thx rob. i'd point out that that 3 of the 4 3pnt shots bohannon made were when receiving a pass and only 1 came when he was dribbling the ball. and even that was a defensive lapse because the defender didn't pick him up at the top of the key. that was really my point. my point was not about how michigan was getting open; my point is how to utilize bohannon. he needs to be a SG and receive passes. do you agree?

I started to panic when I watched this team play in the Caymen Islands. It was an early grave when Iowa lost to Penn St. The time to panic has passed, this was just another nail in the coffin, losing at home to another ho hum team.

This is what happens when you have two horrible years recruiting.

thx rob. i'd point out that that 3 of the 4 3pnt shots bohannon made were when receiving a pass and only 1 came when he was dribbling the ball. and even that was a defensive lapse because the defender didn't pick him up at the top of the key. that was really my point. my point was not about how michigan was getting open; my point is how to utilize bohannon. he needs to be a SG and receive passes. do you agree?

Having seen JBo play PG his entire life, I think there would be an adjustment period to SG on a full time basis. I think if Connor was healthy, we would have seen JBo at SG more often this year, like we did at the end of the Iowa State game. With Dailey now the backup PG, it will be interesting to see how often they go to that look.

I think like Fran's adjusting defenses, it would be good to show different looks on offense. JBo can initiate the offense at times, and then be the SG running around screens to get the ball at other times. I think a little imagination on offense could go a long way.

Watching Michigan's offense against Iowa, if JBo could just stand in the corner and hit open 3s, he would really enjoy that. :)

Having seen JBo play PG his entire life, I think there would be an adjustment period to SG on a full time basis. I think if Connor was healthy, we would have seen JBo at SG more often this year, like we did at the end of the Iowa State game. With Dailey now the backup PG, it will be interesting to see how often they go to that look.

I think like Fran's adjusting defenses, it would be good to show different looks on offense. JBo can initiate the offense at times, and then be the SG running around screens to get the ball at other times. I think a little imagination on offense could go a long way.

Watching Michigan's offense against Iowa, if JBo could just stand in the corner and hit open 3s, he would really enjoy that. :)

yeah, our defense didn't really show up last night. and i agree with your assessment. but i do feel it's necessary. this season has already gone sideways and is on the verge of making a u-turn. now would be the time to make changes. jbo is never going to be our primary pg going forward, let's get ready for it.

yeah, our defense didn't really show up last night. and i agree with your assessment. but i do feel it's necessary. this season has already gone sideways and is on the verge of making a u-turn. now would be the time to make changes. jbo is never going to be our primary pg going forward, let's get ready for it.

If there was a replacement PG on the roster that was healthy, I may agree with you. Unfortunately, Connor may not be able to make it back healthy in time for it to make a difference this year. I like the idea of giving Dailey more time there to see what could happen, but I don't see Fran being very patient with that at this point.

Two of those guys are 6'8 and the other is 6'4... So in other words, you don't have an example of this working with a player similar to Bohannon.
Also, those guys weren't running the baseline and shooting jump shots off screens. They were stationed in the corner and our defense is so bad, and showed fake help, that they were consistently uncontested. Again, hardly the same.

If there was a replacement PG on the roster that was healthy, I may agree with you. Unfortunately, Connor may not be able to make it back healthy in time for it to make a difference this year. I like the idea of giving Dailey more time there to see what could happen, but I don't see Fran being very patient with that at this point.

Rob, do you think CM is really a pt guard answer? I don't see it Improvement...maybe. If he's pt guard, the #2 then is upgraded to JBo. Still, is this really a Big winning combo?

i agree conner's health has impeded this teams development. but, i also think that, since there is no new pg on the horizon for 2018, Daily will be conner's backup, at minimum, next season. let him learn this year. i've actually liked what i've seen from him so far. i think he had 3 to's the other night, but up to that point he's had an excellent ast/to ratio. we need to find out if that was competition centric or if he just had a bad t.o. game against UM.

Latest posts