Is it time to panic yet?

Two of those guys are 6'8 and the other is 6'4... So in other words, you don't have an example of this working with a player similar to Bohannon.
Also, those guys weren't running the baseline and shooting jump shots off screens. They were stationed in the corner and our defense is so bad, and showed fake help, that they were consistently uncontested. Again, hardly the same.

look at the video rob put in this thread. jbo hit 3 of 4 three's while receiving a pass. my original point is that jbo needs to be a SG. just because you don't like the examples i provided doesn't diminish my point. so, i need for you to tell me why jbo is a better pg than he is a shooting guard.

Rob, do you think CM is really a pt guard answer? I don't see it Improvement...maybe. If he's pt guard, the #2 then is upgraded to JBo. Still, is this really a Big winning combo?

I was looking at it from the perspective you listed ... CM at PG improves the SG position with JBo and PG isn't much different. However, from an overall perspective, an upgrade in athleticism in the backcourt is needed.

Overall, as the college game (and pro game, for that matter) goes smaller and faster, Iowa has gone taller and slower while attempting to play uptempo style. I don't see this style working with Iowa's roster as constructed.

i agree conner's health has impeded this teams development. but, i also think that, since there is no new pg on the horizon for 2018, Daily will be conner's backup, at minimum, next season. let him learn this year. i've actually liked what i've seen from him so far. i think he had 3 to's the other night, but up to that point he's had an excellent ast/to ratio. we need to find out if that was competition centric or if he just had a bad t.o. game against UM.

Agreed. Give Dailey minutes at the PG to see what you have. When JBo and Dailey are in together, play Dailey at the 1. They did that against Michigan, but only for a few minutes and Dailey did struggle. I believe Fran needs to be patient at this point with no other answers on the roster.

Tonight we will see Ohio St. dribble wherever they want to, penetrate and draw the bigs in, kick it to a wide open 3 pt. shooter, and well you know the rest of the story. Our only hope is Ohio St. isn't hitting from beyond the arc and we are. Fran knows this, but his options to put in a strong defender at that PG position doesn't exist currently. I thought zone might be the answer, but they drive past our guys in that too. No wonder Franster is losing his mind.

Agreed. Give Dailey minutes at the PG to see what you have. When JBo and Dailey are in together, play Dailey at the 1. They did that against Michigan, but only for a few minutes and Dailey did struggle. I believe Fran needs to be patient at this point with no other answers on the roster.

yep yep. we're on the verge of an 0-4 start in the B1G (if we lose tonight) and 3 of those 4 losses will be at home. we're not going to recover from that (if it happens) and even winning the B1G tourney wouldn't be a guarantee we'd make the ncaa.

yep yep. we're on the verge of an 0-4 start in the B1G (if we lose tonight) and 3 of those 4 losses will be at home. we're not going to recover from that (if it happens) and even winning the B1G tourney wouldn't be a guarantee we'd make the ncaa.

It's bad for Iowa, no doubt, but I'm not sure if you know how that works.

look at the video rob put in this thread. jbo hit 3 of 4 three's while receiving a pass. my original point is that jbo needs to be a SG. just because you don't like the examples i provided doesn't diminish my point. so, i need for you to tell me why jbo is a better pg than he is a shooting guard.

You mean in which Rob replied similarly to me in that the Michigan players you mentioned that Bohannon could replicate (who are 6'8) weren't coming off screens but mostly benefiting from defenders giving too much help?

As for JBo hitting a shot coming off a pass, I'd say that's the case from most baskets scored in general so I don't see your point there. He still gets a lot more open looks playing the PG position than he'd get being chased off screens as a SG.

Agree to disagree on offense, without a doubt the biggest flaw to your argument would be on the defensive end. JBo would often be caught having to chase back on defense and pickup a SG rather than a smaller PG. Can you imagine an already deficient defensive group having to help out JBo guard a guy 6-7 inches taller and quicker than him? That would be ugly.

did Nunge get hurt or is he in Fran's "dog house"
Pemsl, ellington, and Daily all had more minutes then Jack, that should never happen

Listened to the post game and Fran said he thought Nunge hung his head after missing his first couple shots.

Tonight we will see Ohio St. dribble wherever they want to, penetrate and draw the bigs in, kick it to a wide open 3 pt. shooter, and well you know the rest of the story. Our only hope is Ohio St. isn't hitting from beyond the arc and we are. Fran knows this, but his options to put in a strong defender at that PG position doesn't exist currently. I thought zone might be the answer, but they drive past our guys in that too. No wonder Franster is losing his mind.

All of our losses do seem to be rinse, lather, repeat on this scenario.

I agree 100% with ya - Iowa's best defense right now is hoping the other team has a bad night.

conference tournament winners get auto bids to the NCAA - this has been the rule for as long as I can remember

well, when you put it that way. :confused:

in my head i was thinking no way we win the tourney and that isn't what came out. you're aboslutely right. now, who's going to bump off MSU, MN, MD, UM, PU, etc. is there a way we could get a bye into the championship game?

in my head i was thinking no way we win the tourney and that isn't what came out. you're aboslutely right. now, who's going to bump off MSU, MN, MD, UM, PU, etc. is there a way we could get a bye into the championship game?

well, ya know... i thought in my head, things seem so bad right now, that even if Iowa wins the B1G tournament (not happening) maybe the NCAA might make a special case and say ... "yeah no thanks"

Teams worse than this one went on runs. The odds are highly against it, but it is possible.

Teams worse than this one went on runs. The odds are highly against it, but it is possible.

Hope is all we have... I've been holding on for this team to have a light go off and then finish the 2nd half of the season on a tear. I've lost most of that hope just because the team just doesn't have the punch back that Fran's teams have had in the past. I've seen glimpses, but over all, I am losing most if not all of my hope. Tonight win or lose won't change that much, but I would really like to see a win

i think our best chance of going on said run is fixing, as much as possible, the pg position and getting jbo more and better quality 3 pnt attempts. i haven't given up on this team, but i also don't think iowa wins the b1g tourney unless MSU, in particular, is out of the way. we do have enough talent to go on a run. but it isn't that likely in our current configuration, in my opinion.

Hope is all we have... I've been holding on for this team to have a light go off and then finish the 2nd half of the season on a tear. I've lost most of that hope just because the team just doesn't have the punch back that Fran's teams have had in the past. I've seen glimpses, but over all, I am losing most if not all of my hope. Tonight win or lose won't change that much, but I would really like to see a win

I regain hope for every game. Then it's crushed by seeing how easy the other team scores and how hard it is for us to score. I don't think I've ever seen a team consistently give up 15 point spurts like this. It's like they just give up for 5 minutes, then realize there is still time so they start trying again.

How many more wins would we have this year if they would just continue to play hard during those stretches to minimize the run? Against Michigan, we could have easily prevented 3 baskets just by not giving up for that short stretch. Then it's a 50/50 game at the end.

For all the talk about how bad the players are and how bad the defense is, we are a short burst of "giving up" away from winning, or having a chance to win, most games.

Latest posts