Is a 20 Win Season Possible for Iowa Next Year???

Hijacking threads? At least our moderator is not a little pu$$y who bans people the first time they suggest anything negative...and most of the time, the comments don't even have to be negative to be banned by your little pu$$y moderator.

So yes, you can "hijack" our threads but just remember that anything you say means absolutely nothing. Also remember that you are just another clown in a very small unsuccessful clown community. You clowns are like flies--you sh!t on everything, and are just a general nuisance.

11-12 wins in the nc is pretty good. Five wins in the big ten would be a disappointment. I still think 20 wins is a stretch though. Don't think we get more than 10 nc wins. It will take us a while to get going and we'll lose a couple we shouldn't.

Oh I can't wait for this thread to be hijacked by Cyclones laughing saying "you'll be lucky to win 10 games all year!"

I don't think you will see this happen, a lot of them like Fran and do actually think he will get this thing turned around.

As far as 20 wins, it can be done but I don't see it yet. I think they go 10-3 in the non conference with losses to ISU and 2 losses to two of these 3 teams, UNI, Creighton or Clemson, right now 8-10 in the Big Ten would be a huge step forward for this program and that would put them at 18-13.

Last edited:
Hijacking threads? At least our moderator is not a little pu$$y who bans people the first time they suggest anything negative...and most of the time, the comments don't even have to be negative to be banned by your little pu$$y moderator.

So yes, you can "hijack" our threads but just remember that anything you say means absolutely nothing. Also remember that you are just another clown in a very small unsuccessful clown community. You clowns are like flies--you sh!t on everything, and are just a general nuisance.

Nothing except two paragraphs from newmexhawk. I like your name by the way-
are you still a steve alford fan?

10-3 non-conference
7-11 conference

17-14 with a good shot at an NIT bid, if they win 1 or 2 more games in the BTT

I just hope the Hawkeyes have an overall winning record and are playing their best basketball at the end of the season, similar to this year, If Fran can get his team to play consistently like they did at home against Purdue we will have a lot of fun next season, predicating win-loss record is hard we will probably lose some we shouldnt and maybe win some we shouldnt, I'm much more concerned with the product on the floor, the non-conference season looks easier than last years but you never know, the big ten looks easier but again who knows when it is all said and done, again I just hope Fran can get this team to play consistent successful basketball, after the Lick years everyone is optimisitic!

Looking through the schedule, and with a quick glance at KenPom for returning players, I'd say 10-3 or 11-2 is likely, with 13-0 a long shot but possible.

Clemson, @ISU, Creighton and @UNI certainly look like the most likely opportunity for losses, but I would expect around 2 wins in those games.

After that, potentially difficult games (but likely wins) appear to be Drake (they were playing better at the end of the year and return a lot of the team), and IPFW (Sr laden team, came close to winning @Xavier and @Cincinatti last year).

A long shot for an upset would be Campbell. They will likely start 5 Srs, have a decent shot blocker, and have a few good 3pt shooters. However, they weren't very good last year, so I would expect it to be an easy victory, but it looks like they have some potential to make a game of it.

All the rest should be easy wins.

I think 20 is possible since the Big 10 should be down a little. I'd put the over/under at 17.5.

10-3 non-conference
7-11 conference

17-14 with a good shot at an NIT bid, if they win 1 or 2 more games in the BTT

This ^

With four new players working their way in I expect we'll lose a couple we shouldn't in the non conference slate.

I expect we'll make major strides as a team by the time the big ten schedule rolls around and win a few we shouldn't.

Uhhh.. what? I'm pretty sure the first comment made about hijacking threads was by a Hawkeye fan, not a CyCLONE fan <----- (notice proper spelling or rival school's nickname.)

But I guess when all else fails, just resort back to using stupid nomenclature about ISU that, as much as you may think it does, does not make you a witty or clever person.

At some point, Iowa has to begin moving up. Games that they lost the past few years will begin to turn into wins, especially if they get on a roll. Yes, they may lose games they perhaps they should win but this team is also going to win games that many don't expect them to win.

If Iowa can come out of the nonconference schedule with 11 wins and if Iowa begins to control their home court, which is a very good possibility, and can do OK on the road, Iowa could very well win 20 games. And if they do control their home court and win, say, 6 or 7 of the games and they win 3 on the road, plus make a run in the tournament, we are probably looking at the NCAA this year.

Now, a lot of GOOD things have to fall in place for Iowa to do this but Iowa has many kids who are upperclassmen who have not been in any tournament. These kids will be very hungry and will play very very hard, perhaps harder than other teams. Fran is adding some key players. Given how the Hawks looked last year under Fran's first season, I would not be a bit surprised to see the Hawks play with a vengeance this year and make the tournament.

Iowa will be new flavor in the Big 10 after a long absence.

I just don't think this mentality is helpful. I realize that in we often make a mental link between 20 wins and the NCAA tournament, but it just is not going to happen with this schedule. Let's just imagine that Iowa went 20-11, 11-2 nonconference and 9-9 in the Big Ten. I'd even give them a win in the BTT and make it 21-11. It looks good in terms of record but there's no real substance there. Depending on how we got to 11-2 in the nonconference, you'd be looking at a team with zero non-conference road wins, zero nonconference wins against major conference teams, or a bad loss. With a weaker Big Ten and Nebraska in the mix, Iowa could easily win 20 games and not beat a single top 75 team.

I only mention this because I could easily see fans falling into the trap that Cyclone fans did last year. Iowa is going to look great against some of these teams, and I have no problem with the schedule. The real key is going to be to get to 7,8,9 wins in the Big Ten and get into a post-season tournament. We are coming back from the abyss and let's recognize what a huge step that would be. To put it in football terms, let's think about the Alamo Bowl before we start expecting the BCS.

Perfect schedule for the program at this point in the rebuilding process.
I think Boise,UNI,ISU,Clemson,CU are all toughies,but Iowa should win 10.
The Big Ten loses Nolen,Hoffarber,Iverson,Sampson,Joseph,Leuer,Nankavil,Jarmuz,Thompson,
Tisdale,McCamey,Davis,Lighty,Diebler,Lauderdale,Morris,Lucas,Summers,Allen,Luscious,
Battle,Jackson,Jones, ...all starters...and will get better? No way.

Iowa should win 7-8 games in the league,along with 10 in non-conference...and might just surprise and win a couple more....go Hawks.

If Iowa wins 20 games next season I'm going streaking. Not because I think it would be an amazing accomplishment, I just like streaking.

On one hand I think it is certainly possible to enter conference play with 10 or more wins, but outside of potential, there isn't much to hang your hat on. Basabe, Cartwright and Gatens can be counted on to deliver consistent output, but beyond that, who knows. We need to have a couple returning players elevate their game and have a couple of the newbies exceed expectations. Hubbard's impact is the wild card and I don't want to bank on the guy carrying us, but a guy like that has the potential to affect a 5 game swing by himself.

You can't say that the three you listed were "consistent" all year long.

The biggest difference for this team, that everyone is over looking, is minuets played. We are adding 4 good players that will be able to contribute. How much is yet to be known. Just the added depth to keep the starters legs fresh for the end of game pushes will be huge.

Remember, contributing is not just about putting points on the board. If they do their part it will lead to points.

There is a range of 15-22 wins in that schedule. Just to have that range instead of 9-14 is a good improvement. This team will be much more comfortable with their system, it will be deeper and more athletic. The number of close games they had this past season should also help. Hopefully they will close games out at a better rate this year. The way a team gels can carry them in close games. I have a good feeling this team will have good chemistry. Look forward to 2011-12!

There is no way we'll go 12-1 in the non conference next year. I am hoping for 10-3 with a 9-9 Big 10 season.

Then we win 1 game in the BTT and have a 20 win total season before going to the NIT.

For this program, that ought to be considered the final f*cking four.

Latest posts