Iowa will beat WI

Hopefully OSU bottles up JT and embarrasses Wisconsin. If JT gets taken out of the Heisman race, hopefully he hangs it up for the year to save himself for the NFL. We've had the privilege of seeing some great RBs in the Big Ten and now guys like Melvin Gordon and LeVeon Bell have held out because they realize the NFL rookie pay scale is a joke for RBs, who have a short shelf life. Hopefully some of these studs realize that 3rd year of college is even worse due to the workload. Guys like LeVeon and Saquon were totally abused by their coaches in college. LeVeon had almost 400 carries as a junior and Saquon had about 300 touches in his sophomore and junior years.

If JT was my kid, I'd honestly tell him not to play against any upper level team from here on out. Just go out and truck Illinois for 300 yards on 15 carries, steamroll Minnesota, maybe Northwestern, but stay the hell off the field against defense with a pulse or in a game where it is likely they are going to try to feed him the ball over 30 times a game. It just ain't worth it. There's already enough tape and the combine is going to be kind to him. At this point, there's nothing but downside.

We won't be able to stop their running game. I think we will score on them but Taylor and Co. will have 300 yards rushing. I am feeling better about our chances against Michigan and NW and Nebraska however.

In statistics, you need a large enough body of data in order to draw conclusions.

After three games, there really isn't that body of data to correlation to.

Mid TN State really doesn't add any pertinent data to the mix.

Too early to tell how each team will be playing/exposed/strengths/weaknesses come November.

We don't know much about either team. Wisconsin hasn't played a meaningful road game and has played 2 games against 2 of the worst teams in college football and a Michigan team that couldn't put its first opponent away and had to get lucky to beat Army. No wonder they've only allowed 14 points. Can't say much more for Iowa. Rutgers and Miami, OH are horrible, ISU is at least good and that win was on the road with numerous weather delays. Taylor is a load for sure. Nobody would be able to stop him except maybe Alabama or Clemson. But I would be interested to see what Coan's completion percentage to Cephus is vs all the other receivers. They seem to lean alot on Cephus in the passing game. Regardless, I do think this division will come down to Wisconsin and Iowa. Wish we got them in Kinnick this season.

It didn't show on the scoreboard, but Wisconsin's pass defense isn't otherworldly. Patterson had time to throw AND chances to hit receivers, but he's terribly inconsistent, as are his receivers. The horrible overturned catch was a turning point as well.

If we can stay even somewhat balanced, we'll do much better than Michigan. They were a paper tiger. They were exposed vs Army, Wisconsin just finished the job.
Iowa can’t run the ball and never has against Wisconsin. When iowa is predictable against wisconsin and has no time to throw, kirk climbs back into his phonebooth routine and he simply plays field position and hopes somehow the defense scores but Iowa won’t stop the dominant run game of Wisconsin.

We don't know much about either team. Wisconsin hasn't played a meaningful road game and has played 2 games against 2 of the worst teams in college football and a Michigan team that couldn't put its first opponent away and had to get lucky to beat Army. No wonder they've only allowed 14 points. Can't say much more for Iowa. Rutgers and Miami, OH are horrible, ISU is at least good and that win was on the road with numerous weather delays. Taylor is a load for sure. Nobody would be able to stop him except maybe Alabama or Clemson. But I would be interested to see what Coan's completion percentage to Cephus is vs all the other receivers. They seem to lean alot on Cephus in the passing game. Regardless, I do think this division will come down to Wisconsin and Iowa. Wish we got them in Kinnick this season.
Herbstreit said before the Michigan game that it doesn't matter who you are playing if you outscore your opponents 110-0 it’s impressive. Then they went and put a beatdown on Michigan.

Trying to discredit what Wisconsin has done at this point is just wishful thinking. They are the real deal folks.

Iowa can’t run the ball and never has against Wisconsin. When iowa is predictable against wisconsin and has no time to throw, kirk climbs back into his phonebooth routine and he simply plays field position and hopes somehow the defense scores but Iowa won’t stop the dominant run game of Wisconsin.
Yeah, but we have an All-B1G punter, that’s gotta bump up our odds of winning 10%. Wisconsin’s ST play has been abysmal. That is the place on the field that Iowa totally outclasses Wisconsin. I think Iowa needs to get lucky (Think 2015) but a win is possible. Our defense has always been great at creating turnovers, and if Wisconsin has weaknesses, it’s Jonathan Taylor and the punt return unit’s propensity to turn the ball over.

Herbstreit said before the Michigan game that it doesn't matter who you are playing if you outscore your opponents 110-0 it’s impressive. Then they went and put a beatdown on Michigan.

Trying to discredit what Wisconsin has done at this point is just wishful thinking. They are the real deal folks.

They are the real deal and have a feather in their cap to prove it. We have yet to prove that we're much above average for an Iowa team this year. I felt great about our team going into that 2017 Wisconsin game. We had just thrashed OSU and looked about as good as we could. Then we went out laid an egg. Stanley accounted for 6 total yards (41 passing, -35 rushing) as our offense put up 0 points. Last year, they were beatable. Stanley threw for 256 yards and 2 TDs/1 INT, Taylor had 113 yards on 25 carries and no TDs. I think that's about the best case scenario this year. Except Wisconsin has looked like world beaters this year. As hard as it is to believe, Taylor and the OLine are even better. Their defense is stout as usual, but doesn't even need to do much with Taylor dropping 200 yard games.

The problem I have with this match-up is the same problem we have with them every year. They play our style of football, they just do it better. We rely on our offense to move the ball on the ground and grind the clock to give our defense a chance to rest and flip the field position. Wisconsin "grinds it out" with a top 5 NFL draft pick and a somehow always more effective blocking scheme despite the supposed parity in the quality of our linemen. Our defense playing their hearts out, special teams killing it, and Stanley having the best game of his career is about all we can hope for.

On the bright side, if by some miracle we make it to that game unscathed, it's almost guaranteed to be another college gameday matchup.

Stanley had his best QBR of the season last year vs. Wisconsin. Or if you prefer the more standard QB rating, it was his 3rd best game (following Indiana and UNI).

He made plays. He missed one big one (4th quarter, wide open Hock), but every QB has misses.

I do agree that it seems like he will need to be nearly flawless this year.

We won't be able to stop their running game. I think we will score on them but Taylor and Co. will have 300 yards rushing. I am feeling better about our chances against Michigan and NW and Nebraska however.

It looks like for Iowa to have a shot at Indy, Wisconsin is going to have to lose twice. Ohio state for one...but where could the other L come from? Michigan state? No way. At Nebraska or Minnesota? Maybe. Home vs Iowa. Not exactly.

They are the real deal and have a feather in their cap to prove it. We have yet to prove that we're much above average for an Iowa team this year. I felt great about our team going into that 2017 Wisconsin game. We had just thrashed OSU and looked about as good as we could. Then we went out laid an egg. Stanley accounted for 6 total yards (41 passing, -35 rushing) as our offense put up 0 points. Last year, they were beatable. Stanley threw for 256 yards and 2 TDs/1 INT, Taylor had 113 yards on 25 carries and no TDs. I think that's about the best case scenario this year. Except Wisconsin has looked like world beaters this year. As hard as it is to believe, Taylor and the OLine are even better. Their defense is stout as usual, but doesn't even need to do much with Taylor dropping 200 yard games.

The problem I have with this match-up is the same problem we have with them every year. They play our style of football, they just do it better. We rely on our offense to move the ball on the ground and grind the clock to give our defense a chance to rest and flip the field position. Wisconsin "grinds it out" with a top 5 NFL draft pick and a somehow always more effective blocking scheme despite the supposed parity in the quality of our linemen. Our defense playing their hearts out, special teams killing it, and Stanley having the best game of his career is about all we can hope for.

On the bright side, if by some miracle we make it to that game unscathed, it's almost guaranteed to be another college gameday matchup.
To win at UW we have to win the turnover battle and the offense will have to generate some chunk plays. Easier said than done.

The path for Iowa definitely goes through Madison. The only other game the Badgers might drop is at Ohio State. Iowa’s shot at the west would likely be with one or two losses and a win at Madison, but that’s looking pretty daunting at this stage.

It looks like for Iowa to have a shot at Indy, Wisconsin is going to have to lose twice. Ohio state for one...but where could the other L come from? Michigan state? No way. At Nebraska or Minnesota? Maybe. Home vs Iowa. Not exactly.
If we don’t win in Madison we aren’t winning the west this year, it’s just that simple. Iowa probably drops at least one other game along the way, and barring something catastrophic I don’t see UW losing any other game outside of Ohio State.

If we don’t win in Madison we aren’t winning the west this year, it’s just that simple. Iowa probably drops at least one other game along the way, and barring something catastrophic I don’t see UW losing any other game outside of Ohio State.

If they can’t win in Madison they don’t deserve it anyways. I’ll take them in the citrus in Orlando at 9-3 vs a decent SEC team. Sign me up.

Latest posts