Iowa will beat WI

If they can’t win in Madison they don’t deserve it anyways. I’ll take them in the citrus in Orlando at 9-3 vs a decent SEC team. Sign me up.
Not to get too far off topic, and certainly not throwing in the towel on our chances this year, but this is why some of us were so frustrated with the end result last year. An absolute golden opportunity to take the West with Wisconsin having a down year and we couldn’t get it done. The Wisconsin machine appears to be back running and if Nebraska ever does get it going it’s only going to keep getting tougher and tougher.

Last edited:
Yeah, but we have an All-B1G punter, that’s gotta bump up our odds of winning 10%. Wisconsin’s ST play has been abysmal. That is the place on the field that Iowa totally outclasses Wisconsin. I think Iowa needs to get lucky (Think 2015) but a win is possible. Our defense has always been great at creating turnovers, and if Wisconsin has weaknesses, it’s Jonathan Taylor and the punt return unit’s propensity to turn the ball over.
You come back with “all b10 punter”? That’s where you’re going to hang your hat? Wow. You need to back down the kool aid dosage as it’s starting to overtake you

Not to get too far off topic, and certainly not throwing in the towel on our chances this year, but this is why some of us were so frustrated with the end result last year. An absolute golden opportunity to take the West with Wisconsin having a down year and we couldn’t get it done. The Wisconsin machine appears to be back running and if Nebraska ever does get it going it’s only going to keep getting tougher and tougher.

I was as pissed as anyone about last year. The penn state and NW losses never should have happened. The Wisconsin game was winnable as well. They should have been 10-2 last year and should be this year as well.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on the 2019 Wisconsin game. Lots can happen, Wisconsin definitely isn’t as good as the the Michigan game would make you think they are. Injuries, fluke losses, Jonathan Taylor fumbling, I don’t see Wisconsin as a runaway west winner.

Is it likely Wisconsin will win the west? Yes. However I was at the Iowa/Wisconsin game at kinnick last year when Iowa came close to upsetting then #4 ranked Wisconsin. A team that went on to be 7-5.

I was as pissed as anyone about last year. The penn state and NW losses never should have happened. The Wisconsin game was winnable as well. They should have been 10-2 last year and should be this year as well.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on the 2019 Wisconsin game. Lots can happen, Wisconsin definitely isn’t as good as the the Michigan game would make you think they are. Injuries, fluke losses, Jonathan Taylor fumbling, I don’t see Wisconsin as a runaway west winner.

Is it likely Wisconsin will win the west? Yes. However I was at the Iowa/Wisconsin game at kinnick last year when Iowa came close to upsetting then #4 ranked Wisconsin. A team that went on to be 7-5.
How were they ranked #4? Didn't they lose to BYU the week before? Everything else I agree with though.

If we can hold Taylor to 113 yards on 25 carries for 4.5 yards per carry with No TDs, like we did last season, we have a very nice chance to win at Madison.

We simply gave the game away last season. They were lucky to escape with a win.

We also will not leave the middle of the field wide open so JT can run untouched down the field for major yardage. There were times in the Michigan game that showed no defender in the camera angle at all. He was running uncontested past the line. That should not and cannot happen to the Hawks.

Their QB is mediocre at best, and with a healthy and more experienced secondary, we should be able to contain their passing game.

I am not looking for another embarrassing asskicking similar to the one we had at Madison after the Ohio State Massacre at Kinnick. We scored 55 points against Ohio State and 14 points against the Badgers in Madison. If not for Josh Jackson's 2 pick-six interceptions, we would have been shut out.

If our D tightens up and plays like they are capable of, we have a solid chance of beating the Badgers. I also like our chances at Michigan and Nebraska. They are the only possible losses on the schedule that I can see and all are certifiably winnable, depending on injuries and a complete meltdown.

:cool:

On defense, Iowa needs to take away Wisconsin's biggest threat, Taylor, and force the QB to beat us. Wisconsin likes to go up to 8 OL sometimes, in smashmouth fashion, so you can't let them out physical you. I'd play Amani Jones at LB with the assignment to take out Taylor every play (maybe in for Neimann to keep the best tacklers in there). On offense, their secondary may be their weakness so throw a lot, 60%+. Our strength seems to be pass blocking again this year so we might match-up well.

If we can hold Taylor to 113 yards on 25 carries for 4.5 yards per carry with No TDs, like we did last season, we have a very nice chance to win at Madison.

We simply gave the game away last season. They were lucky to escape with a win.

We also will not leave the middle of the field wide open so JT can run untouched down the field for major yardage. There were times in the Michigan game that showed no defender in the camera angle at all. He was running uncontested past the line. That should not and cannot happen to the Hawks.

Their QB is mediocre at best, and with a healthy and more experienced secondary, we should be able to contain their passing game.

I am not looking for another embarrassing asskicking similar to the one we had at Madison after the Ohio State Massacre at Kinnick. We scored 55 points against Ohio State and 14 points against the Badgers in Madison. If not for Josh Jackson's 2 pick-six interceptions, we would have been shut out.

If our D tightens up and plays like they are capable of, we have a solid chance of beating the Badgers. I also like our chances at Michigan and Nebraska. They are the only possible losses on the schedule that I can see and all are certifiably winnable, depending on injuries and a complete meltdown.

:cool:

Iowa could’ve ran the football at Wisconsin more than they did. Could’ve really eaten a lot of clock on the last drive

I made this same comment to a buddy I watched the Wisconsin game with last weekend. When the best program in the division is down, you need to take advantage. Iowa didn't.

The most frustrating thing is once KF got Iowa going in 2001, they won 6 of next 9 against the Badgers including 3 in Madison. And many of wins were physical Badger teams just getting beat up by Iowa. In 2007 the Badgers were a top 25 team and Iowa was really struggling and they still managed to play tough in Madison.

And those were good Badgers teams that decade. Basically not much different than what they are now. This last decade, Iowa just fell back some and Wisconsin pushed forward.

The problem even last year when Taylor only got 115 yards is their other running backs got another 115. Cant let them have 230 yards rushing so have to have ultimate gap control and supreme tackling.

But last year Wisky knew yards rushing were somewhat hard to come by so they hurt Iowa with 6 or so big play action passes. I expect Wisky might play action a lot from the beginning of the game.