Iowa will beat WI

Not to turn this into another Nate Stanley bashing thread. This is the one game where I don’t trust him. The 3 or 4 throws that you gotta have, can he be money on those throws? Those throws will be the difference in the game.
Stanley will look like he always does against the Badgers.

Meh, the way it goes in football when lopsided game happen among decent teams....Michigan is not as bad as the score indicates and Wisconsin is not as good as the score indicates

At this point M isn't very good. They ve had so so results against so so teams at home excepting W. This was their first road test.

Wisky had an impressive win at S Florida, but first games are not all that indicative. S FL appears to be decently good.

It will be tough on the road. The Hawks might be one of the few teams to slow Taylor.

Close game late we LL hear Dolph talking about the tire Iowa D.

Hawk O struggled to score on ISU.

My bet is on the Tired Iowa D being referred to by Dolph.

Agree. They look like they could match up with any team in the country. They don't appear to have any glaring weaknesses

Agree. They have demolished everyone, looking great on defense, and their heisman finalist (JT) is rolling.

I think in many ways Iowa hangs with Wisky, but in recent years they've just had the edge in RB and skill players and can make plays in close games when it counts. JT is a superstar.

Its the same story every year.

If we turn them over several times, we will win.

If not, we will lose.

We will not be able to get them off the field enough times, or string first downs together consistently enough on long fields, to go toe to toe with them. The only was we've ever beaten them that way in the last fifteen years is when we had the best player on the field by a wide margin (Shonn Greene in 2008)

We have to do what Minnesota and Michigan did last year, or do what we did in 2003, 2004, 2009 and 2015. Turnovers and short fields.

If not, we will lose.

We will not be able to get them off the field enough times, or string first downs together consistently enough on long fields, to go toe to toe with them. The only was we've ever beaten them that way in the last fifteen years is when we had the best player on the field by a wide margin (Shonn Greene in 2008)

We have to do what Minnesota and Michigan did last year, or do what we did in 2003, 2004, 2009 and 2015. Turnovers and short fields.

Turnovers are always huge but just as important is the matchup between Wisconsin's OL vs Iowa's DL. Its always the most important matchup in this series. Everyone talks about the turnovers last year but Wisconsin's OL dominated Iowa's DL all night. Iowa's D couldn't stop the run, couldn't pressure Horni who ate them alive, and couldn't get off the field.

In Iowa's last 2 wins against Wisconsin, the Badgers had 86 and 87 yards. That's why Iowa won.

My concern is Wisconsin's OL is better this year than last and Iowa's DL has taken a step back. So back to what you said, they better turn the Badgers over.

Last edited:
Our DL is not putting pressure on the QB.
Iowa State doubled Epenesa and we still couldn't put pressure, elsewhere.

Unless Connie's QB goes knucklehead, I don't see how Iowa wins this game at Camp Randall.

If not, we will lose.

Yes x1000. If Iowa can get +2 in turnovers they’ll win and its possible with Taylor, he’s always been a fumbling machine. Other than that, I don’t see much hope on the road against that o line and really the whole offense.

It didn't show on the scoreboard, but Wisconsin's pass defense isn't otherworldly. Patterson had time to throw AND chances to hit receivers, but he's terribly inconsistent, as are his receivers. The horrible overturned catch was a turning point as well.

If we can stay even somewhat balanced, we'll do much better than Michigan. They were a paper tiger. They were exposed vs Army, Wisconsin just finished the job.

Turnovers are always huge but just as important is the matchup between Wisconsin's OL vs Iowa's DL. Its always the most important matchup in this series. Everyone talks about the turnovers last year but Wisconsin's OL dominated Iowa's DL all night. Iowa's D couldn't stop the run, couldn't pressure Horni who ate them alive, and couldn't get off the field.

In Iowa's last 2 wins against Wisconsin, the Badgers had 86 and 87 yards. That's why Iowa won.

My concern is Wisconsin's OL is better this year than last and Iowa's DL has taken a step back. So back to what you said, they better turn the Badgers over.
I thought we did a decent job on defense last year in the second half-until they went 88 yards with less than six minutes to go. We don't turn the ball over on punt returns twice if we don't force them to punt in the first place.

OK, I'll stop on the one year anniversary of that game. Enough going down that rabbit hole again.

It didn't show on the scoreboard, but Wisconsin's pass defense isn't otherworldly. Patterson had time to throw AND chances to hit receivers, but he's terribly inconsistent, as are his receivers. The horrible overturned catch was a turning point as well.

If we can stay even somewhat balanced, we'll do much better than Michigan. They were a paper tiger. They were exposed vs Army, Wisconsin just finished the job.
Northwestern gets a little bit of a gift for next week. Two badger defensive backs will sit the first half because of second half targeting calls-on the same drive.

The first one was iffy but had to be called due to the letter the rule.

The second one wasn't a direct helmet to helmet, but instead he laid out an engaged and defenseless ball carrier. It looked worse than it was because of the way McCaffery hit the turf but was well within the realm of drawing the flag.

Northwestern gets a little bit of a gift for next week. Two badger defensive backs will sit the first half because of second half targeting calls-on the same drive.

The first one was iffy but had to be called due to the letter the rule.

The second one wasn't a direct helmet to helmet, but instead he laid out an engaged and defenseless ball carrier. It looked worse than it was because of the way McCaffery hit the turf but was well within the realm of drawing the flag.

I think that second was a direct result of the first one. That first penaly happened because McCafferey acted like he was a runner, and then he awkwardly "gave himself up" a millisecond before contact. There is not a single thing that defender could have done differently to avoid that penalty. I don't think McCafferey was intentionally deceitful, I think he just was indecisive. But it kind of came across as a bush-league way to draw a penalty.

I think when McCafferey left the pockect again about 2 plays later, Wisconsin's D was planning to make him pay for it.

NS will have 3 or 4 shots......He can’t miss. Otherwise, we see the same results we saw last year.

Unless Coach Parker starts developing some depth and playing experience for backups on the D-line, the Wisconsin game will be effectively over by halftime. Their defensive pressure is relentless.

Latest posts