Iowa was a few plays away from being 9-3 Last season...seriously

I have said many times that Kirk is paid in full for what Norm did. If you want to throw in Doyle thats fine by me hes good at what he does. Kirk just brought in some good recruiters also. Facts are Kirk is not mentally able to coach on saturdays. Year after year the same mistakes are made by players and coaches. This means coaches and players are not mentally ready to play.

The reason Iowa stays in games is defense and yes kirks conservative game plan. I dont care if its close. That doesnt matter. Close doesnt get you to a bowl game now does it. Close isnt a great memory for anyone other than you.

Kirk does a good job of coaching kids up but is lacking in parts of the game that makes Iowa look silly on saturdays and lose games to inferior teams. Kirk would be a good OL coach and thats it.

You shouldnt keep a coach because he brought in a great defensive coach who is now retired. You shouldnt keep a coach because he keeps games close. He may keep games close with good teams but he does it just as much with bad team.

So a CEO can't get credit for the management team he hires, the strategies he formulates, and the way his management team executes. It was all his management team...or his coordinators that drove the success...Norm was the only one with any say on the defense. You know what, that freaking Steve Jobs, what a piece of crap he was. It was all his creative and management teams that achieved the success...he's just taking credit for it. Do you understand how freaking stupid that sounds. Ferentz isn't taking credit for anything he doesn't deserve credit for. He put people in a position to be successful and gave them what they needed. He's worked with some pretty good football minds (NFL and College), and they all speak highly of him. Is it ok if I take their word over yours? Oh, don't get me wrong, you seem really bright and all, but I'm not sure you have the experience to make the judgements you spew without the regard for looking ignorant.

Sometimes it's really difficult to formulate an argument or a point of view that someone as thick headed as you can understand. The point I'm making isn't that he's trying to play the games close...he's won with this style of ball...more so than almost any coach in Iowa history. This is what he knows and when you have success doing it...you don't go away from it. You try to keep executing the strategy better and more consistently. Now, you obviously are obsessed or are focused on the past three years...the disappointment of 2010, a so so 2011, and then last year as an example of underachieving. You have to look at the whole enchilada to be fair.

Now, change is in the air. The CEO is bringing in new management and the jury is still out. I will tell you, I like what he has done to improve the recruiting efforts...I like what he has done in putting Brian Ferentz on the OL, and Reese on the DL. I think White was a great hire to address your special teams issues and other areas, and I really think Reid was a great hire to allow Parker more time to game plan...and another mind to bounce things off of. I'm still on the fence with GD and Kennedy...but I'm trusting the CEO's judgement and believe it or not, I'm going to give them one more year before I call for their heads.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. Practicing in a controlled environment and wearing a red jersey knowing that nobody is going to touch you is no where near the same as playing live against 2nd stringers who want nothing more than to prove to their coach they are worthy of a starting spot by ripping your head off.

No, I think you may be right. The more I think about it, it would have benefited Rudock to get some snaps. I get it. Not that it translates exactly or maybe even remotely, but I got an opportunity to play some mop up duty in three playoff games as a sophomore during a state championship run for my high school. It was invaluable in helping me understand I could play at a varsity level and gain confidence. I knew I could play as a junior heading into that season. I get it.

So a CEO can't get credit for the management team he hires, the strategies he formulates, and the way his management team executes. It was all his management team...or his coordinators that drove the success...Norm was the only one with any say on the defense. You know what, that freaking Steve Jobs, what a piece of crap he was. It was all his creative and management teams that achieved the success...he's just taking credit for it. Do you understand how freaking stupid that sounds. Ferentz isn't taking credit for anything he doesn't deserve credit for. He put people in a position to be successful and gave them what they needed. He's worked with some pretty good football minds (NFL and College), and they all speak highly of him. Is it ok if I take their word over yours? Oh, don't get me wrong, you seem really bright and all, but I'm not sure you have the experience to make the judgements you spew without the regard for looking ignorant.

Sometimes it's really difficult to formulate an argument or a point of view that someone as thick headed as you can understand. The point I'm making isn't that he's trying to play the games close...he's won with this style of ball...more so than almost any coach in Iowa history. This is what he knows and when you have success doing it...you don't go away from it. You try to keep executing the strategy better and more consistently. Now, you obviously are obsessed or are focused on the past three years...the disappointment of 2010, a so so 2011, and then last year as an example of underachieving. You have to look at the whole enchilada to be fair.

Now, change is in the air. The CEO is bringing in new management and the jury is still out. I will tell you, I like what he has done to improve the recruiting efforts...I like what he has done in putting Brian Ferentz on the OL, and Reese on the DL. I think White was a great hire to address your special teams issues and other areas, and I really think Reid was a great hire to allow Parker more time to game plan...and another mind to bounce things off of. I'm still on the fence with GD and Kennedy...but I'm trusting the CEO's judgement and believe it or not, I'm going to give them one more year before I call for their heads.

Okay calm down. You have made yourself look silly in this thread enough already.

First you want say kirks teams are always ready mentally. Then you said that it doesnt matter if Qbs didnt take any snaps last yr. Banks and Tate didnt.......oh wait they did and so did every other team in the nation.

So after those comments which show you have no football knowledge. You want to say kirk is a good coach because he keeps games close. Close doesnt win games pal.

Now you want to say Kirk is a good coach for bringing in other coaches.....welp those coaches are gone. Phil Parker is a good coach but he is not Norm. Kok seems to have been Iowas whipping boy for those who didnt want to see that the problem is kirk.

Kirk doesnt have Norm anymore he doesnt need anymore pay for bringing in Norm.

So now you say Im not ready to give up on him yet. Thats fine I cant argue that. However the fact the you say they deserve more times means you know kirk isnt gettting things done.

Whats Kirks record since Norm left? Since you want to keep talking about Kirks record.

Okay calm down. You have made yourself look silly in this thread enough already.

First you want say kirks teams are always ready mentally. Then you said that it doesnt matter if Qbs didnt take any snaps last yr. Banks and Tate didnt.......oh wait they did and so did every other team in the nation.

So after those comments which show you have no football knowledge. You want to say kirk is a good coach because he keeps games close. Close doesnt win games pal.

Now you want to say Kirk is a good coach for bringing in other coaches.....welp those coaches are gone. Phil Parker is a good coach but he is not Norm. Kok seems to have been Iowas whipping boy for those who didnt want to see that the problem is kirk.

Kirk doesnt have Norm anymore he doesnt need anymore pay for bringing in Norm.

So now you say Im not ready to give up on him yet. Thats fine I cant argue that. However the fact the you say they deserve more times means you know kirk isnt gettting things done.

Whats Kirks record since Norm left? Since you want to keep talking about Kirks record.

Oh Christ, I'm trying to reason with Paris Hilton. You realize that Norm had Klug, Ballard, Clayborn, Binns, Angerer, Hunter, Sash, Greenwood, and a few others that were drafted. How many players off last years team were drafted? One...Hyde. I would blame 2010 on Norm because the defense spit out leads in the fourth quarter on pace with Secretariat, but that would be wrong. It wasn't the defense that was the issue...it was the offense...one first down in three of those games at the end of the game and we likely win.

Comparing defenses doesn't work too well when the talent or experience level drops like that. Now, I'd be willing to bet we are alot better defensively this year. Guys are a year older, and we have more depth. If you want to argue it was Ferentz's fault that we didn't recruit or stop the attrition more successfully, I will actually agree with you against an incredible will to not be even anywhere close to agreement with someone of your mental abilities. Have you ever heard the term mental midget?

I have said many times that Kirk is paid in full for what Norm did. If you want to throw in Doyle thats fine by me hes good at what he does. Kirk just brought in some good recruiters also. Facts are Kirk is not mentally able to coach on saturdays. Year after year the same mistakes are made by players and coaches. This means coaches and players are not mentally ready to play.

The reason Iowa stays in games is defense and yes kirks conservative game plan. I dont care if its close. That doesnt matter. Close doesnt get you to a bowl game now does it. Close isnt a great memory for anyone other than you.

Kirk does a good job of coaching kids up but is lacking in parts of the game that makes Iowa look silly on saturdays and lose games to inferior teams. Kirk would be a good OL coach and thats it.

You shouldnt keep a coach because he brought in a great defensive coach who is now retired. You shouldnt keep a coach because he keeps games close. He may keep games close with good teams but he does it just as much with bad team.

You keep trying to play this tired old song and dance. Most intelligent people would praise KF for holding onto such a quality DC for so many years.....somehow in your mind, you mock KF for this. I'm wondering if you know how foolish this make you look, or if you simply don't care if you look foolish all the time.

You keep trying to play this tired old song and dance. Most intelligent people would praise KF for holding onto such a quality DC for so many years.....somehow in your mind, you mock KF for this. I'm wondering if you know how foolish this make you look, or if you simply don't care if you look foolish all the time.

Dean you cant read you look foolish.....it said kirk doesnt get a lifetime job because he hired Norm. Not that he should have gotten rid or Norm. Norm is the reason why kirk had success.

Oh Christ, I'm trying to reason with Paris Hilton. You realize that Norm had Klug, Ballard, Clayborn, Binns, Angerer, Hunter, Sash, Greenwood, and a few others that were drafted. How many players off last years team were drafted? One...Hyde. I would blame 2010 on Norm because the defense spit out leads in the fourth quarter on pace with Secretariat, but that would be wrong. It wasn't the defense that was the issue...it was the offense...one first down in three of those games at the end of the game and we likely win.

Comparing defenses doesn't work too well when the talent or experience level drops like that. Now, I'd be willing to bet we are alot better defensively this year. Guys are a year older, and we have more depth. If you want to argue it was Ferentz's fault that we didn't recruit or stop the attrition more successfully, I will actually agree with you against an incredible will to not be even anywhere close to agreement with someone of your mental abilities. Have you ever heard the term mental midget?

What are you reading? I never said anything bad about Iowas defense. I have never said anything bad about Norm or Phil.

Are you the one who has to constantly call me names saying Im little?

Dean you cant read you look foolish.....it said kirk doesnt get a lifetime job because he hired Norm. Not that he should have gotten rid or Norm. Norm is the reason why kirk had success.

Norm is a good DC, I don't look foolish because I put the credit for the football team in KF hands, as well as the blame. You for some reason can't give him credit for the success Iowa has had, you give it to Norm.....that is foolish. The buck stops at the top, and the blame starts there also.

Norm is a good DC, I don't look foolish because I put the credit for the football team in KF hands, as well as the blame. You for some reason can't give him credit for the success Iowa has had, you give it to Norm.....that is foolish. The buck stops at the top, and the blame starts there also.

So kirk can never be fired because he hired Norm? You can give credit to Kirk if you want but when does it stop?

So kirk can never be fired because he hired Norm? You can give credit to Kirk if you want but when does it stop?

Where did I say he can't be fired? I say KF built a winning program, you say KF was only successful because of Norm. I have said time and again that I won't be able to support KF any longer if he wins 4 games again. If they win 6 or 7, I think we are looking good for 2014.

That said if Iowa has a decent year this year, and a good one in 2014, who will get all the credit from OOTH?

Where did I say he can't be fired? I say KF built a winning program, you say KF was only successful because of Norm. I have said time and again that I won't be able to support KF any longer if he wins 4 games again. If they win 6 or 7, I think we are looking good for 2014.

That said if Iowa has a decent year this year, and a good one in 2014, who will get all the credit from OOTH?

Kirk as of late has brought in some good recruiters.....I just dont think more talent will offset his poor gameday coaching.

Now is the offense going to continue to be bad and the defense is going to keep the blood pumping throught the program?

Or is kirk going to realize that he has to get out of Gregs way and let him call the plays?

If that happens does Greg have what is takes to run a good offense at Iowa?

Depends on a lot of things. Whats good whats bad? The funny thing is we are going to jump up and down for 7 wins like a bunch of ISU fans. Then 2014 is going to be the weakest schedule in Iowa history? How many wins in that year is good?

Does he get another three years if he gets Iowa to a bowl?

I just dont see Kirk and whatever OC he wants having a good offense on a regular basis. So if there is success with Kirk at Iowa it will be on the defensive side.

Kirk as of late has brought in some good recruiters.....I just dont think more talent will offset his poor gameday coaching.

Now is the offense going to continue to be bad and the defense is going to keep the blood pumping throught the program?

Or is kirk going to realize that he has to get out of Gregs way and let him call the plays?

If that happens does Greg have what is takes to run a good offense at Iowa?

Depends on a lot of things. Whats good whats bad? The funny thing is we are going to jump up and down for 7 wins like a bunch of ISU fans. Then 2014 is going to be the weakest schedule in Iowa history? How many wins in that year is good?

Does he get another three years if he gets Iowa to a bowl?

I just dont see Kirk and whatever OC he wants having a good offense on a regular basis. So if there is success with Kirk at Iowa it will be on the defensive side.

Does it matter how those questions are answered? You will still put the credit at someone else's feet if Iowa does have successful season's, and you will put the blame at KF feet if they don't. Most realize that the success from 2001-2005 and 2008 and 2009 are because of good work done by KF and his staff. Since he is the head coach ultimately responsible for hiring and retaining his staff, he is to credit.

You are more than willing to blame for the underwhelming performance of the team since the 2009 seasons, and any unsuccessful season before that. The thing is you are correct in blaming KF as he is the head coach and is to blame for all failures. What you can't grasp is the above paragraph, in that he is to credit for the good years.

So kirk has his team mentally prepared but he himself is not? Is kirk not part of the team?

You complain about the offense. Everyone complains about the offense. It's KF's preferred offense. Complain about KF. It's not that KF isn't prepared for last ditch offense to win games (which he isn't) , he just doesn't like last ditch offense to win games.

If you declare your passion for KF, you have to accept his preferred offense... conservative offense.

I've got more about KOK's struggles with KF to put more offense in the offense (no personal info, just watching games), but that would belong in another thread. For example, long passes during the DJK and McNutt days on first down because, IMO, neither receiver was really that good at getting open. And, of course, the one time experiment with no-huddle offense against Pitt.

Last edited:
Does it matter how those questions are answered? You will still put the credit at someone else's feet if Iowa does have successful season's, and you will put the blame at KF feet if they don't. Most realize that the success from 2001-2005 and 2008 and 2009 are because of good work done by KF and his staff. Since he is the head coach ultimately responsible for hiring and retaining his staff, he is to credit.

You are more than willing to blame for the underwhelming performance of the team since the 2009 seasons, and any unsuccessful season before that. The thing is you are correct in blaming KF as he is the head coach and is to blame for all failures. What you can't grasp is the above paragraph, in that he is to credit for the good years.

Ive said many times that kirk is a good coach 6 days a week and the worst coach on saturday. I think for most its pretty easy to see how awful his gameday coaching is.

As for years that Iowa has had success they have had very high talent. Its easy to coach on saturday when you have Greene or Banks to give the ball to. Kirk cant bring in that talent every year.

Has kirk ever been a good gameday coach? NO. Did he just become a bad coach in the last three years? No. Has kirk been paid in full for who he has brought in and the success he has had at Iowa? Yes.

The funny thing about you and other kirk fans is you say the same things and then when I respond in the same way you accuse me of being repetitive.

Also I just wrote about how I thought kirk has done a nice job hiring good recruiters as of late.

I think 2014 recruiting is looking very good

I agree and I am going to say that Kirk has done a good job bringing in recruiters. BF seems to be what was needed on the recruiting front. I am repeating this because everyone thinks I cant give kirk praise when he deserves it. I also have never said anything negative on how Kirks staff recruits I just think that they are doing a better job this year.

Ive said many times that kirk is a good coach 6 days a week and the worst coach on saturday. I think for most its pretty easy to see how awful his gameday coaching is.

As for years that Iowa has had success they have had very high talent. Its easy to coach on saturday when you have Greene or Banks to give the ball to. Kirk cant bring in that talent every year.

Has kirk ever been a good gameday coach? NO. Did he just become a bad coach in the last three years? No. Has kirk been paid in full for who he has brought in and the success he has had at Iowa? Yes.

The funny thing about you and other kirk fans is you say the same things and then when I respond in the same way you accuse me of being repetitive.

Also I just wrote about how I thought kirk has done a nice job hiring good recruiters as of late.

Come on OOTH, what coaches don't have the most success when they have very high talent? That is kind of a herp derp statement.

Oh.....and quit repeating yourself, quit repeating yourself.

Come on OOTH, what coaches don't have the most success when they have very high talent? That is kind of a herp derp statement.

Oh.....and quit repeating yourself, quit repeating yourself.

Thats my point. What coach wouldnt have the success that Kirk had if they had Greene, Banks and some of the best defenses n the country? Thanks for helping me with my point Dean.

So lets take away the years that Kirk had those players and what do we have? See the reason why people think Kirk is good comes down to only a couple of years. The rest are 7/8 win seasons with losses to awful teams.