Iowa was a few plays away from being 9-3 Last season...seriously

I really hope this thread goes on for years like the Trey Stross thread on Scout.

I think we all need to take turns coming in with a bump on the thread occasionally. It'll be like being on call at work... Except its bumpity duty.

Too bad the thread lost any substance many pages ago.

Well, they've always had difficulty with an offense that has a good running/passing qb. But the argument against this is, "what defense doesn't have difficulty with that kinda qb?".

I would say any defense would have problems with that type of offense and that the only way you have successs against that offense is to have good D talent.

Simplistic, I know. But football really isn't as complicated as many try to make it.

FreedComanche
Yet, lots of Iowa fans say the defense is great, and only the offense needs work. And hey, my answer to an effective defense against the good running/passing QB conundrum is having defensive players with good athletic ability and letting those players use their athletic ability. Not all that zone **** (that was effective against those 'old-timey' offenses). The NFL uses one-on-one D all the time.

Last edited:
I think we all need to take turns coming in with a bump on the thread occasionally. It'll be like being on call at work... Except its bumpity duty.

Too bad the thread lost any substance many pages ago.

That is a good point, lets not invoke bumpity duty on this one.

I really hope this thread goes on for years like the Trey Stross thread on Scout.

i think that thread got closed. IIRC Scout's boards only let threads get so long and then they abruptly end. i don't think that's how this board works though. haven't been to scout in awhile, though, so could be wrong.

Attrition wins out on threads like this....you can't lose many arguments when you just never stop posting......something about really needing to have the last word.

attrition....seems like i've seen that here before.

2....more......months........

Attrition wins out on threads like this....you can't lose many arguments when you just never stop posting......something about really needing to have the last word.

attrition....seems like i've seen that here before.

2....more......months........

don't be such a quitter then! :)

[/FONT][/COLOR]
But they went 4-8 last year with the worst offense of the Ferentz era and one of the most painful Iowa offenses to watch of any season in my lifetime of watching the Hawkeyes, which dates back to 1981.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
While that is not a positive thing to recall, I still circle back around to this notion I shared at the end of last year...the Hawkeyes could have won every one of those losses I listed above while having the worst offense of the last 30 years of Iowa football and a defense that simply will not be remembered.

Should we be more optimistic heading into this year? Perhaps, but then again that schedule might have been the most manageable for Iowa in the last 30 years, too. This year's slate is much tougher but it gets Charmin soft again in 2014.

This one will definitely come down to whether or not your glass is half full or half empty. I am a lifelong card carrying member of the half full club, but even I am struggling to buy what this collection of numbers can point to. In the end, as Kirk Ferentz would say (and has), this team got what it deserved.

What say you?[/QUOTE]

First off Jon, thanks for presenting your argument in such an even handed manner. In sum, in a world where anything not precluded by the laws of physics is "possible" - then yes a 9-3 record was "possible".

In the real world where probabilities reign, predicting actual outcomes, 9-3 was about as probably as an arctic hare winning the world surfboard championships on Oahu's North Shore, i.e. theoretically possible, but highly improbable given the fact that necessary factual predicate conditions will simply never occur.

In plain English, our offensive game plan didn't know whether to s&%$ or throw sideways. I think it is safe to say all the happy talk from the head coach and the new offensive coordinator about optimizing the new offense to the strengths of the players on hand was all HOGWASH. This of course most generously assumes that the new "sideways, horizontal, triple option read in the huddle at the line and at the snap of the ball" to attempt a 3 yard pass even works in the first place and is not a relic tattooed to the athletic ability to one Vince Young, who could have made anyone's offensive scheme work like a charm all the way to a BSC game.

Now back to that ugly word, reality. The head coach and the OC know who is on their roster. The real dilemma is do we a) keep trying to pound out the less than 3 yard passes with players that weren't recruited or trained to play like that, OR b) adapt an offensive scheme around the players on hand and their abilities that yields the best chance for achieving successful offensive metrics.

Ignore all coach speak between now and the first game, it was at best deceptive last year. Wait and see what the offense looks like on the field this year and whether it promises even the remotest possibility of success.

I'm not an anti this person or that person kind of guy,I only want to see the Hawks play competitive football and play to win. We'll see soon enough on Aug. 31 if the high and the mighty have learned their lesson, pulled their noses out of the play books and decided to call plays based upon the talents and abilities of the players on the field. One truism was proven to the nth degree last year, that being if your offensive philosophy sucks, no team on earth can make it work.

So just a small prayer for the future, tailor an offensive scheme that accentuates your players' strengths, tries to gain first downs, believes in scoring TDs and stops throwing 3 yard or less out patterns where there is something less than a one in nine chance the receiver and the QB are on the same page, AND for the love of God, maybe thinking about passing when the opposing defense puts 9 or 10 guys in the box to defend our two running plays, stretch left or stretch right.

I know, I'm hoping for great things, but that used to be the Iowa football that I looked forward to that kept us in games...

Latest posts