Iowa was a few plays away from being 9-3 Last season...seriously

Wow. As someone who changed jobs (when I got jammed out of money on a reimbursement), let me just say this - when you are a n00b in an industry, you get some time to ramp up. You're not expected to know anything. But when you lateral into a job that requires experience in the first instance, you are kind of um, how shall I say this, expected to perform rather than crapping down your leg against the likes of Iowa State's vaunted defense. Do me a favor, tell me what Iowa's final offensive point production of the 2011 ISU game was and then tell me what Iowa's final offensive point production of the 2012 ISU game was. Divide the 2011 production by the 2012 production, move the decimal to the right two places and put a percent sign on it and that is how many percent better than Davis that O'Keefe was. O'Keefe works in the NFL now, dude.

Look guy....How was GD to know what kind of talent Iowa had? How was KF supposed to know that plays GD likes to run?

Sometimes ya just got to wing it. Its only football.

I don't understand your reluctance to give credit to the team/coaches. They played hard, made plays on offense and defense, including the pick in OT to seal it. They did this against a really good D.

Even after the collapse during the second half of the season, I find it hard that you can't look back and say they played a good one there.

I think it's your disdain for KirFer that prevents you from doing that. You should get that checked out.

Im saying Kirks way worked. However sombody was saying that game was "underestimated in a big way".

We could say Kirk won one this century.

How many times have we seen a team score on the last drive to beat Iowa in the last 3 years? It didnt happen against MSU, but to act like the win was amazing is silly.

However I guess for you kirk fans any win at the end is huge. Thats what you get when you are so used to losing.

Wow. As someone who changed jobs (when I got jammed out of money on a reimbursement), let me just say this - when you are a n00b in an industry, you get some time to ramp up. You're not expected to know anything. But when you lateral into a job that requires experience in the first instance, you are kind of um, how shall I say this, expected to perform rather than crapping down your leg against the likes of Iowa State's vaunted defense. Do me a favor, tell me what Iowa's final offensive point production of the 2011 ISU game was and then tell me what Iowa's final offensive point production of the 2012 ISU game was. Divide the 2011 production by the 2012 production, move the decimal to the right two places and put a percent sign on it and that is how many percent better than Davis that O'Keefe was. O'Keefe works in the NFL now, dude.

You expect Davis to just walk into his job successfully? What about our QB and receivers? Seems like last year was our offense's chance to "ramp up" to Davis' system.

I'd rather think about 2009 "what if's"....

Stanzi doesn't get hurt vs NU, we win, go 10-0.

Hawk coaching staff doesn't puss out at the end of regulation @ OSU, we drive for a winning field goal to go 11-0.

Hawks win Rose Bowl vs Ducks to finish up 12-0. Ntnl champs in my book.

Hawk coaching staff doesn't puss out at the end of regulation @ OSU, we drive for a winning field goal to go 11-0.

Um, dude, do you not remember that Minnesota game that sent us to 10-2? You were there, I remember talking to you.

Plus they beat ISU that year.

2009 OSU was a matter of execution. Terry Strauss dropped an easy TD. Put that TD on the board. Bam. Ball game. Hawks win. Or if the defense had shown up on Saine's long TD run and we take 7 off the board. Bam. Ball game. Hawks win. We just didn't execute. JVB had some picks in that game (along with a pick 6 that was called back) and KF knew Tressel was gonna start blitzing, so the knee was the right call.

And that Orange Bowl game, funny how O'Keefe gets no love. He called a masterful game and my favorite play was the back breaker where he put all of the studs on the line in at once and then ran Wegher for a long TD. Good coaching, good execution. That's how it's done. And Norm gets a lot of love, but really, with Clayborn taking away half the field (great execution) that defense pretty much coached itself. Put Gaglione in there (who would only dominate a third of the field) and the outcome would have been way different even with the same coaching.

Or if Murray can hit a chip shot from inside 30 yards.

Um, dude, do you not remember that Minnesota game that sent us to 10-2? You were there, I remember talking to you.

Ooops. Too much Crown and non-labor Coors.
Yup....that scintilating 12-0 win would have put us at 12-0....then on to 13-0 after a Duck roasting.

I'd be happy to see them quit screwing up on basics like time management and play like they practice a 2 minute offense. The eogame meltdowns and ultraconservative play calling are getting really old. Kind of like running to the short side. I like KOF, but at some point these things need to be ironed out. I can't really think of any team I've watched that has such terrible eogame meltdowns. Reminds me of Chris Weber.

I'd be happy to see them quit screwing up on basics like time management and play like they practice a 2 minute offense. The eogame meltdowns and ultraconservative play calling are getting really old. Kind of like running to the short side. I like KOF, but at some point these things need to be ironed out. I can't really think of any team I've watched that has such terrible eogame meltdowns. Reminds me of Chris Weber.

The problem with last year is that we had one of the easiest schedules in Iowa football history, and still found a way to go 4-8.

With the difficulty of this year's schedule, we could be much improved over last year and still only win 3 or 4 games.

I think our defense will be ok and our offensive line and running backs will be good. Just like last year, it comes down to QB and WR play. Can we improve in those areas? I'm not sure we could be any worse, but we'll see.

This is a big year for Captain Kirk. We need to EXECUTE on offense and show improvement, or I think there will be a mutiny in Hawkeye Land.

I'd be happy to see them quit screwing up on basics like time management and play like they practice a 2 minute offense.

Well you just might get your wish. Didn't see much, if anything, that looked like "Ferentzball" at the Spring game I attended.

The entire team looked like they were using the same playbook and were even on the same page. I don't think I saw that at all during the 2012 season and maybe just the second half of the Pitt game in 2011.

It's my understanding that pretty much the entire Spring session was run in no huddle. At worst the team will not fatigue like they have the last few years, time of possession being close to equal, the way I see it.

Probably win somewhere between 6 and 9 games. I will be shocked if they are outside of that range.

Im saying Kirks way worked. However sombody was saying that game was "underestimated in a big way".

We could say Kirk won one this century.

How many times have we seen a team score on the last drive to beat Iowa in the last 3 years? It didnt happen against MSU, but to act like the win was amazing is silly.

However I guess for you kirk fans any win at the end is huge. Thats what you get when you are so used to losing.

Hey OutToLunchHawk,

You do realize that Ferentz won more games in a decade than any other Iowa coach, right. Even more than the legendary Hayden Fry. Now, if you are saying the past few years mean that the shine is off the apple and he's forgotten how to win games...ok your opinion, but I think he deserves the benefit of letting him coach the 2013 team.

You continue to ignore the facts at MSU last year. That was the 6th ranked rushing defense in the country and a top 10 overall. They played a tough schedule that included Boise State, Notre Dame, OSU, Wiscy, NW, and Nebraska. All teams that play pretty damn well on offense, especially running the ball for several of those teams...and Iowa went in and beat them in East Lansing. Iowa didn't do it with big plays...they played with them physically and ran the ball. That was a big win for that team whether you think so or not. And, sure they lost to Central Michigan, but was that the offenses fault? They punished them on the final drive to put us up two scores...the loss was on some poor decisions and divine intervention.

People keep talking about GD's offense and how bad it sucked. Could it be that losing two of your top offensive linemen and 3 of your top four running backs removed about 70% of the offense. After game 6, our offensive line couldn't block anyone on the left side consistently in the passing game and our running game was inconsistent also. What did people expect to happen. We were already young on both offense and defense prior to those injuries and it was too much to overcome.

I honestly believe that team was finding itself and it had injuries that it just couldn't afford or overcome with their depth. Was it a great offense coming out of MSU...no, but they would have continued to grow throughout the season. It would have been good enough to beat Indiana, Purdue, and Nebraska IMO.

You can spew your KF hate in every thread and make it all about the coach and all your one dimensional takes...at some point it will even get tired to you.

Well you just might get your wish. Didn't see much, if anything, that looked like "Ferentzball" at the Spring game I attended.

The entire team looked like they were using the same playbook and were even on the same page. I don't think I saw that at all during the 2012 season and maybe just the second half of the Pitt game in 2011.

It's my understanding that pretty much the entire Spring session was run in no huddle. At worst the team will not fatigue like they have the last few years, time of possession being close to equal, the way I see it.

Probably win somewhere between 6 and 9 games. I will be shocked if they are outside of that range.

Probably win somewhere between 6 and 9 games. I will be shocked if they are outside of that range. I am with ya on this. Lots of unknown but with decent QB play, I truly believe we got a realistic shot at 7ish wins

We lost alot of those games because of horendous game day coaching. What an absolute fiasco that CMU game was. Thanks John. Now I'm ****** for drudging up those memories again.

Hey OutToLunchHawk,

You do realize that Ferentz won more games in a decade than any other Iowa coach, right. Even more than the legendary Hayden Fry. Now, if you are saying the past few years mean that the shine is off the apple and he's forgotten how to win games...ok your opinion, but I think he deserves the benefit of letting him coach the 2013 team.

You continue to ignore the facts at MSU last year. That was the 6th ranked rushing defense in the country and a top 10 overall. They played a tough schedule that included Boise State, Notre Dame, OSU, Wiscy, NW, and Nebraska. All teams that play pretty damn well on offense, especially running the ball for several of those teams...and Iowa went in and beat them in East Lansing. Iowa didn't do it with big plays...they played with them physically and ran the ball. That was a big win for that team whether you think so or not. And, sure they lost to Central Michigan, but was that the offenses fault? They punished them on the final drive to put us up two scores...the loss was on some poor decisions and divine intervention.

People keep talking about GD's offense and how bad it sucked. Could it be that losing two of your top offensive linemen and 3 of your top four running backs removed about 70% of the offense. After game 6, our offensive line couldn't block anyone on the left side consistently in the passing game and our running game was inconsistent also. What did people expect to happen. We were already young on both offense and defense prior to those injuries and it was too much to overcome.

I honestly believe that team was finding itself and it had injuries that it just couldn't afford or overcome with their depth. Was it a great offense coming out of MSU...no, but they would have continued to grow throughout the season. It would have been good enough to beat Indiana, Purdue, and Nebraska IMO.

You can spew your KF hate in every thread and make it all about the coach and all your one dimensional takes...at some point it will even get tired to you.
Nice defense.. it will be interesting to see what excuses you use this year if the hawks tank again.. I'll give you one.. new QB..how can we expect an inexperienced QB to lead us..(my answer to that..would be why did we have an inexperienced QB when there were ample opportunities to get playing time last year)

We lost alot of those games because of horendous game day coaching. What an absolute fiasco that CMU game was. Thanks John. Now I'm ****** for drudging up those memories again.

Examples of bad coaching, please.

I ask because I was thinking opposite of you on this.

Latest posts