Iowa was a few plays away from being 9-3 Last season...seriously

YOu should watch the game over again.

MSU had a couple of penalties and thats why it got to OT. Then they threw an INT in OT to lose.

It was a big win for KF as waiting for other teams to lose is how he plays the game. In this case MSU lost the game and KFs gameplan of waiting for the other team to screw up worked.

It was no amazing ending where 7 got 6.

Its easy to think its an amazing win when you think that the talent is really poor. However what is wrong with the program is not the talent, unless you believe that CMU has more talent.

According to your logic, Iowa State didn't really win the game/deserve the win in Iowa City. I mean they did intercept a pass late as we were driving.
Did I understand that correctly?

Here's another example of attempting to embarrass someone you don't agree with by calling them a name. You had a very good retort going until you called him stupid.

FreedComanche

Ok...you are right...I apologize if I've offended anyone with the name calling. My frustration comes when everything becomes about KF and his deficiencies. You make a point about something...and it's KF will screw this up and he plays not to lose. He's a conservative coach, that's a given...and he plays the game close to the vest with the risk reward equations...I get that. I also think at times you have to realize things happen that impact a teams ability to be successful, beyond what the coaches have the ability to overcome. Last years team, without the significant injuries at RB and OL, wins 7 games...there is no way to convince me that doesn't happen. You can argue that depth is the coaches fault...and I won't argue to a large extent with that...but he can only coach who's on the team...and I think they were getting the team on the right track by game 6 last year...then it all fell apart.

If you see progress at that juncture (at game 6 with a team 4-2)...then realize you have the vast majority of your interior linemen back this year...you've shored up the depth issue at RB, wouldn't that provide some optimism about the year ahead. Every year...and I mean every year...players step up to play at a high level...and this year will be no different. Last year, I would say Scherff, Weisman, and Blythe were examples. With the nucleus we have back, if 3-4 guys we haven't really seen play, do the same thing...well guess what, you have a pretty solid freaking team because you are starting with fewer holes to fill.

I really like the team we have coming back...and the only area where there are still major concerns...would be WR. Hopefully, with the TEs we have, we just need one or two guys at WR to really make an impact and force the defensive adjustments. It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

It's not a koolaid issue either...I agree the team was lame after game six...I just remember what I saw coming out of East Lansing.

Ok...you are right...I apologize if I've offended anyone with the name calling. My frustration comes when everything becomes about KF and his deficiencies. You make a point about something...and it's KF will screw this up and he plays not to lose. He's a conservative coach, that's a given...and he plays the game close to the vest with the risk reward equations...I get that. I also think at times you have to realize things happen that impact a teams ability to be successful, beyond what the coaches have the ability to overcome. Last years team, without the significant injuries at RB and OL, wins 7 games...there is no way to convince me that doesn't happen. You can argue that depth is the coaches fault...and I won't argue to a large extent with that...but he can only coach who's on the team...and I think they were getting the team on the right track by game 6 last year...then it all fell apart.

If you see progress at that juncture (at game 6 with a team 4-2)...then realize you have the vast majority of your interior linemen back this year...you've shored up the depth issue at RB, wouldn't that provide some optimism about the year ahead. Every year...and I mean every year...players step up to play at a high level...and this year will be no different. Last year, I would say Scherff, Weisman, and Blythe were examples. With the nucleus we have back, if 3-4 guys we haven't really seen play, do the same thing...well guess what, you have a pretty solid freaking team because you are starting with fewer holes to fill.

I really like the team we have coming back...and the only area where there are still major concerns...would be WR. Hopefully, with the TEs we have, we just need one or two guys at WR to really make an impact and force the defensive adjustments. It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

It's not a koolaid issue either...I agree the team was lame after game six...I just remember what I saw coming out of East Lansing.

I'm pretty optimistic about the WRs. I think Cameron Wilson had like 10 receptions in the Spring game. That must have been catching the ball pretty much everytime it was thrown his way. Anyway, I thought he looked very good.

Ok, fair enough. You stated you think they would have won seven games last year if not for injuries, and you are optimistic for this season.

I was very optimistic before the start of the 2010 team. This is just one reason why I am not optimistic this year.

FreedComanche

Ok, fair enough. You stated you think they would have won seven games last year if not for injuries, and you are optimistic for this season.

I was very optimistic before the start of the 2010 team. This is just one reason why I am not optimistic this year.

FreedComanche

Being optimistic after 2009 isn't being optimistic. I don't mean that as a jab at you, Freed.

As close as this team was to winning 8-9 games last year, the 2009 team was as close to losing 8-9.

It's easier to be optimistic when you're winning the games.

People rip on the players way too much on this site. They have talent and work ethic. Let's look at last years senior class as an example as one of the most disrespected classes I have seen but according to nfldraftscout.com it had many of the top prospects that I will list. The #3 long snapper, # 13 center, #24 quarterback, #25 cornerback, # 34 offensive guard, #58 wide receiver, and the #74 defensive end. That is not to bad at all.

Yeah, those are great rankings. The turnover in the NFL is so high that you totally get down that deep at all of those positions. Wait, am I getting trolled here or did someone move Kinnick to Ames and massively lower the expectation bar?

FreedComanche

Ya, 2010 was horrible. Worse than last year for me. Much like 1997. For my lifetime, going back to 1975, that 2010 season was the most disappointing.

As close as this team was to winning 8-9 games last year, the 2009 team was as close to losing 8-9.

That was true, however that was not the reason why I was pumped before the 2010 season. Ed P. said before the season that the 2010 team had more talent than any Iowa team in the past 30 years. That is THE reason why I was optimistic.

You know, as i think about this, the 2010 season had the same feel as the Journey reunion in 96. They made their first album in like 11-12 years and were all pumped for the tour. Then, Steve Perry had a one of his head case moments and went into hiding. No tour and everyone was bummed.

FreedComanche

2010 was huge dissapointment. My understanding was we had to many guys thinking about the NFL. The team underperformed more than any KF team I can think of
That was true, however that was not the reason why I was pumped before the 2010 season. Ed P. said before the season that the 2010 team had more talent than any Iowa team in the past 30 years. That is THE reason why I was optimistic.

You know, as i think about this, the 2010 season had the same feel as the Journey reunion in 96. They made their first album in like 11-12 years and were all pumped for the tour. Then, Steve Perry had a one of his head case moments and went into hiding. No tour and everyone was bummed.

FreedComanche

2010 was huge dissapointment. My understanding was we had to many guys thinking about the NFL. The team underperformed more than any KF team I can think of

Again, injuries/depth. Hampton goes down against Arizona, the ESPN late-start jinx was in full force (that's where the game has already started, but ESPN feels it paramount to stay tuned to a blowout game because an SEC team is bi*ch-slapping Morehead State, thus, comes in near end of first quarter with Hawks down anywhere from 7 to 21 points--in this case, I believe it was 14-0 AZ), and the two early Arizona TDs were a blocked punt and an off-McNutt's-hands-Rick-6, then after Binns ties it with his phenomenal pick-6, we miss PAT, so AZ has renewed life on last possession and rest is history.

We blew the Wiscy game (again, missed PAT and settling for FG after INT leaves us in Wiscy territory), and Clayborn gets chop-blocked bad and is not the same rest of season. After A-Rob goes down against MSU, and we darn near blow game to Indiana, wheels officially fall off against NW. We also lose half our LBs, a couple OLs. OSU showed some hope, alas, Terrelle Pryor makes too much cash to lose to Iowa, and Minnesota was anticlimactic.

That we won our bowl game felt good, but certainly not great. DJK not playing, Hampton and others leaving, etc., I STILL had decent hopes for 2011. Until, of course, we lost to ISU, and then showed less offensive punch than Tyrell Biggs fighting Mike Tyson for the rest of the season.

In one sense, 2012 shouldn't have surprised any of us. But, again, let's just flush it. New season in 2013. Assess and complain one game at a time.

Actually some of those rankings are lower than others that I have heard. I heard some higher rankings for Vandenberg and he does have a good shot at making the roster. Hyde's number would be higher if he were ranked at a position he will more than likely play on special teams or safety. Anyways these guys are still talented and hard working.

After being away for a couple of days and seeing this thread again.. I can now wrap up in one sentence what I couldn't really find the words to say in an entire paragraph the day this article was written. My one sentence answer: You can't look at last season, and the team we had, and say "We almost went 9-3!!!!" Nope. Last year's team was just bad, no other way to slice it.

But as someone just said, flush it. New season in 2013. Let's just hope it's a lot better than 2012.

So basically if a team is 4-8 and was almost nine and three" just a few plays away. ,I would say and most of the free world that the coaching sucked

So basically if a team is 4-8 and was almost nine and three" just a few plays away. ,I would say and most of the free world that the coaching sucked

As the OP suggests, if they were "just a few plays away", it doesn't necessarily mean the coaching sucks.
There were several reasons the season went sour (and they've been discussed a lot).

Name a single time Ferentz has been outcoached. Good luck, pal.

LOL

This is making for one long off-season. I'm not psychic but I feel like I know what every thread is going to end up being about the second it gets started. Sometimes I wish I could hibernate until September. I wouldn't wanna sleep my life away, but football season can't get here soon enough.

LOL

This is making for one long off-season. I'm not psychic but I feel like I know what every thread is going to end up being about the second it gets started. Sometimes I wish I could hibernate until September. I wouldn't wanna sleep my life away, but football season can't get here soon enough.

Me too, lets just play the games and see what happens.

According to your logic, Iowa State didn't really win the game/deserve the win in Iowa City. I mean they did intercept a pass late as we were driving.
Did I understand that correctly?

Im not saying they dont deserve to win...I just saying it wasnt an amazing win.

There is a difference between winning on a scoring drive and another team missing a fg or throwing an INT.

Also the INT was no amazing play it was just thrown over the middle. Funny enough is was made by a player that most people on here mock non stop.

Like I said KF waits for other teams to make mistakes at the end of games. Last year the MSU game finally paid off in that game plan. We should enjoy the win because they arent going to happen that way often and anytime Iowa beats MSU in anything its great. However it was no amazing win.

IIRC, the Iowa defense made the play to win the game. LTP deflected the ball at the line and Castillo picked it.

Its not like Maxwell just lobbed it right into the arms of Castillo.

JVB and Keenan Davis also converted a very long pass play on the game tying drive. It was something like 2nd and 25.

Its ok to give the players and coaching staff some credit once in a while, OOTH. Not every good thing that happens is a direct result of the other team just handing it to the Hawks.

I did give them credit. Kf waits for other teams to lose games. Thats what happened. It worked. Also you should watch MSUs last drives in regulation and tell me that they didnt give that away.

Latest posts