Iowa vs. Iowa State Game Unenjoyable for Many Hawkeye Fans

ACFishpond

Iowa vs. Iowa State: Rivalry Game Dreaded by Some Hawkeye Fans : Big 10 Football

From article:

I think it’s mainly because I can’t ever remember thinking that Iowa was truly outmatched against against Iowa State. Even in down years, Iowa has a very good chance of winning.

So with that comes my thought that I expect Iowa to win every year, because they can.

Due to this fact, the game has become very unenjoyable to me. It’s a lose-lose situation. I don’t even feel good with a close win, let alone the dreaded loss. I only feel good if Iowa wins by multiple scores, because in my mind that’s how it should go every year.

I hate the ISU game. If Iowa loses then they're screwed for the season. If they win they gain nothing. Iowa has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I hate the ISU game. If Iowa loses then they're screwed for the season. If they win they gain nothing. Iowa has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

this is such a stupid argument. itake great preperation for the B10 season, and its a as close to a guranteed victory against a bcs game opponent as exists in college football.

this is such a stupid argument. itake great preperation for the B10 season, and its a as close to a guranteed victory against a bcs game opponent as exists in college football.

When was the last time you heard an argument that a team is good because they beat ISU?

I have no idea what this thread is about...but I will say this. Let's schedule LSU or Alabama because that way I can expect the loss and I'll be really, really, really happy if we pull off the upset once a decade. Wait, this is how ISU fans must feel. No wonder they talk like morons after a 3 OT game in their house.

This is true. When do you feel as great about beating ISU? Never. It is only a win, which feels ok, but never great. The game is a lose-lose situation. Same with UNI. Win, we gain nothing. Lose and we have to win-out to have any type of decent season.

When was the last time you heard an argument that a team is good because they beat ISU?

slightly more often than i hear an argument than a win against Directional Michigan, Illannoy, or UNI makes a team good.

not that does or should have a ******* thing to do with our scheduling.

This is true. When do you feel as great about beating ISU? Never. It is only a win, which feels ok, but never great. The game is a lose-lose situation. Same with UNI. Win, we gain nothing. Lose and we have to win-out to have any type of decent season.

It's always a good measuring stick game in my opinion...fired up crowds in each stadium...tons of emotion...and it's a hardware game. If we play well and hammer them...then I'm feeling the team is on the right track. If we don't play well, and still get the victory, then it points out areas of improvement. If we lose, well, the team has to make a choice...do we work hard to erase the black mark, or do we pack it in. When have you seen a Kirk Ferentz team pack it in? Ok, maybe 2006. Regardless, as Hawkeyes, we should relish this game every year...it's an instate rivalry against a BCS school...oh, and I don't like them.

It's always a good measuring stick game in my opinion...fired up crowds in each stadium...tons of emotion...and it's a hardware game. If we play well and hammer them...then I'm feeling the team is on the right track. If we don't play well, and still get the victory, then it points out areas of improvement. If we lose, well, the team has to make a choice...do we work hard to erase the black mark, or do we pack it in. When have you seen a Kirk Ferentz team pack it in? Ok, maybe 2006. Regardless, as Hawkeyes, we should relish this game every year...it's an instate rivalry against a BCS school...oh, and I don't like them.

win.

IMO the only thing good about the UNI and ISU games is that the money stays in the state, and every other year it is a close road game. Like others have stated I don't think Iowa gains awhile lot from these games. This is now going to be especially true with the adoption of the playoff system. The strength of schedule is going to have to increase.

ohhh spanky btw Id tune out our entire pre conference schedule btw, cause if the isu win gains nothing neither do any of the others.

Hmmm It's 2012.. I could see where under McCarney ISU would flame out during the season I would agree.

But Rhoads teams have won at Texas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, beaten the number 2 team in country, and been much more competitive.
Also seems to indicate, while the game is important to ISU, it is no longer the superbowl.

Its no longer Iowa has nothing to gain.. Rhoads teams while maybe not BCS bowl caliber, are a pretty good test. Granted maybe the first year in Ames was not much of a test, but as Ferentz said after that game, its a new staff and give them time.

At some point, I would guess Iowa will add another Big 10 game to the schedule. Would you prefer they drop Iowa state?

Not sure how ISU has hurt Iowa's opportunity getting in BCS bowls, looking at Iowa's recruiting class this year, seems a loss to ISU last year did not hurt.

So what is this nothing to gain you keep talking about? National perception?
If Iowa runs the table you think the ISU game is going to keep them out the national title?

The rivalry is good. Iowa has to be way better than ISU to win. It's a measuring stick for the rest of the season. ANY time we field teams with similar talent ISU wins. This year we're pretty damn even, advantage ISU. They just want it more. Rocky Balboa vs. Ivan Draggo. We are NOT Balboa BTW.

"Rhoads teams while maybe not BCS bowl caliber"

ISU fans are stupid.

I would prefer playing another BCS team instead of ISU. But I don't have confidence that Iowa would schedule another BCS conference team if Iowa dropped ISU.

Latest posts