Iowa/ISU Matchups

Iowa State is opportunistic on the offensive glass. Ejim and hogue are good offensive rebounders and I think they'll try to get some.

Iowa State is opportunistic on the offensive glass. Ejim and hogue are good offensive rebounders and I think they'll try to get some.

Hogue is a good offensive rebounder, Ejim has been pretty average this year. The real battle will be on the other end, Iowa has been terrific on the offensive glass, four guys in the top 500 in O-Reb%, led by Olesani who is 12th in the nation while ISU has 3 guys in the top 500 in D-Reb%, led by Hogue who is 60th. If ISU can stop Iowa from getting second chance points, that will be a huge key to the game.

Good to have a civil discussion on BB. Iowas ability to get the ball off the defensive glass will determine the result IMO. When Gabe learns to block out he'll be a true force for us. Basabe could explode and if he does you like the Hawks. Heart says Hawks, head says ISU by 7.

Hogue is a good offensive rebounder, Ejim has been pretty average this year. The real battle will be on the other end, Iowa has been terrific on the offensive glass, four guys in the top 500 in O-Reb%, led by Olesani who is 12th in the nation while ISU has 3 guys in the top 500 in D-Reb%, led by Hogue who is 60th. If ISU can stop Iowa from getting second chance points, that will be a huge key to the game.
Agree. Frequent offensive rebounds and putbacks or long possessions often lead to fouling which ISU can't afford.

I am basing this off of the stats to date for ISU as I have not seen them play.
ISU is not an offensive rebounding team. They get most of their boards on the defensive end. I expect they will give up the second chance points and be content to play transition defense.
They protect the ball well enough with a 2-1 assist/to ratio.
Niang and Ejim have had some foul problems, so that is where we can and should exploit our advantage. We need to be aggressive in the paint when we get position on these 2 ( Basabe, Olaseni, White and McCabe) when they come out to guard or hedge, we need to run them through some screens and see if we can't get them to pick up some cheap fouls.
I haven't seen ISU play this year, so I don't know how much zone defense they play. That might be their best chance to keep their best players out of foul trouble.
ISU shoots about the same amount of 3 pt shots, at the same % as we do. That's a wash unless one team gets hot. Uthoff and McCabe will end up being guarded by smaller guys on the perimeter, so they need to let it fly early and often. Especially Uthoff. We can't afford to have him passing up open 3 pt shots.
ISU is a fairly deep team but their size doesn't change very much. We will have a much taller team on the floor for most of the game.
ISU averages 91 points per game and we average 89 ppg. This should be a track meet and a lot of fun to watch.
I like our depth and height in this game. If we come out and hustle like we did in last season's game, we should win. I expect ISU to come out fired up with a lot of intensity. They will want to get the crowd into the game. We have to match that intensity. We can't let them open up a lead and then try and pick up our pace to match theirs. The refs will call the fouls on us and stall any chance of a come back.
I think we win this game.

This isn't grounded in reality. While true Iowa has hit approximately the same number of threes on the year as ISU, Iowa has played 11 games to ISUs 7. Iowa does shoot a similar % from three (~.5% less) but has shot far fewer per game at ~17 to ISU's ~28. Thus, Iowas has made ~6 threes per game while ISU has averaged over 10, so not a wash. Just trying to provide stats for the discussion. I had to look all of that up and was a bit surprised by what I found because it "feels" like ISU is less reliant on the three than they were last year.

As you stated, ISU is a great rebounding team, but not a great offensive rebounding team. Iowa has also been a great rebounding team, but I would suggest also a great, or at least much more proficient, offensive rebounding team. ISU does need the extra points from 3 to offset the 2nd chance points Iowa gets, and in reverse, Iowa needs the second chance points as they won't generally get as many from three. I actually believe this game may well be decided by how many offensive rebounds Iowa is able to get/ISU keep them from getting more than the respective shooting percentages. After that stat, I would think turnovers might tell the tale of the tape.

I am interested to see how Fran handles the rotation.

Do we see all the second unit guys on the floor at the same time, or does he keep a starter or two out there at all times?

Will also be interesting to see how many minutes Jok and Gabe get. They didnt play much at all against Notre Dame.

Iowa must guard the 3. Drake had way too many open looks in the first half and made most of them which kept them in the game. ISU will take plenty of 3's.

Iowa also needs to improve at help defense.

Less of a percentage of Iowa State's points come from 3, but it's still over 1/3. Anywhere from 34% to 37% of Iowa State's total il points have come from 3 in the hoiberg era. It's obviously by design.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WindsorHawk

<I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. >

Let me translate. He means they are more black.

I don't even know what this means. I'm saying they are more talented...an obvious example is they don't have a key player in their rotation that can't practice because his knees are so bad.

Iowa will be lost in translation at times, but will re-group, but it will be noisy, the "Fanatics" will be loud as usual, the guy that wanted a piece of Bill Self will be lurking someplace, it's gonna be a great basketball atmosphere, close game decided by a bucket....defend the three, help out on defense and rebound the hell out of the ball....the only match up Iowa needs to be aware of is if ISU has a chance at the last shot for the "W", is, who the hell is guarding him?

This isn't grounded in reality. While true Iowa has hit approximately the same number of threes on the year as ISU, Iowa has played 11 games to ISUs 7. Iowa does shoot a similar % from three (~.5% less) but has shot far fewer per game at ~17 to ISU's ~28. Thus, Iowas has made ~6 threes per game while ISU has averaged over 10, so not a wash. Just trying to provide stats for the discussion. I had to look all of that up and was a bit surprised by what I found because it "feels" like ISU is less reliant on the three than they were last year.

As you stated, ISU is a great rebounding team, but not a great offensive rebounding team. Iowa has also been a great rebounding team, but I would suggest also a great, or at least much more proficient, offensive rebounding team. ISU does need the extra points from 3 to offset the 2nd chance points Iowa gets, and in reverse, Iowa needs the second chance points as they won't generally get as many from three. I actually believe this game may well be decided by how many offensive rebounds Iowa is able to get/ISU keep them from getting more than the respective shooting percentages. After that stat, I would think turnovers might tell the tale of the tape.

With the comittment to the offensive glass and ISU being pretty good on the d-glass and good in transition do you think ISU with Kane will get an easy push up the court in transition? At the big 4 event Kane looked to really take off on the misses. Just thinking out loud here.

fair enough. turnovers and fouls

I think it will be a close game for a lot of the game, but my homer in me thinks ISU will slightly pull away, leading to fouls towards the end of the game.

Should be a fun environment and game. Best of luck.

ESPN named Ejim one of the top 10 matchup nightmares:

Melvin Ejim, F, Iowa State Cyclones

Ejim is a tough matchup because of his skill set and because of coach Fred Hoiberg's NBA spacing and offensive creativity. Undersized but with a wide body, Ejim can both move his man on the block and face up and attack off the bounce or shoot the 3. He is tough as a ball screener and is a threat to roll as well as space.

Ejim is excellent on the boards, grabbing a rebound every three minutes of play. The dilemma when game planning for Ejim is that Hoiberg moves him all over, which makes it hard to know what you will give him and what you will take away. Iowa State plays with great spacing, making it hard to commit a second defender. Few power forwards have the quickness to defend him on the perimeter and on the block. With teammate Georges Niang’s ability to shoot the ball, it is hard to double him big-to-big.

Jabari Parker, Julius Randle among nation's top matchup nightmares - ESPN

Latest posts