Iowa/ISU Matchups

I think you correctly point out that match-ups are key. I will be surprised if Uthoff becomes the primary on Niang, as he has abused oposing bigs that don't have the girth to bang or at least have exceptional length. His outside shooting hasn't proven to be as consistent as last year, so your tradtional centers may be able to guard him with length inside. If Niang is hitting from outside, especially early, that is a game changer as it likely dictates a different rotation for Iowa.

For both Iowa (Marble) and Iowa State (Kane) they have been able to feast with a significant height advantage. I don't know if they will actually be matched up much, but if they are and foul trouble doesnt limit it, this might be the best match-up of the night. Good call on pointing this out as I think it will be a key.

Bold statement.

Here is something radical that I think would be interesting to see (Maybe for just a 5 minute stretch): a 1-3-1 zone with Marble up top, Gabe in the middle, Uthoff and White on the wings, and Basabe on the baseline. With that length, it seems like you could jam up the passing lanes and maybe cause some problems for their shooters.

Here is something radical that I think would be interesting to see (Maybe for just a 5 minute stretch): a 1-3-1 zone with Marble up top, Gabe in the middle, Uthoff and White on the wings, and Basabe on the baseline. With that length, it seems like you could jam up the passing lanes and maybe cause some problems for their shooters.

Problem with that is that you'd have to rely on White and Uthoff to rotate to the shooters on the wings. They're certainly long, but don't have anywhere close to the foot speed to rotate quick enough to defend. But might be fun to watch!

On a somewhat related note, I think it's about time to stop the White at SF experiment and put him at the PF where he belongs. My starting 5 would be Gessel(1), Marble(2), Uthoff(3), White(4) and Gabe(5).

Iowa is a veteran team, ISU is less so. This game will be tight. If ISU goes all Lafester with their shooting percentage then Iowa is going to have a tough time pulling it out at the end. Need to hold them to under 12 3's. Iowa needs to hit 7 or 8 themselves.

Remember, ISU is all about the 3.

Niang has more NCAA tourney experience by himself than the entire Iowa team combined.

Iowa is a veteran team, ISU is less so. This game will be tight. If ISU goes all Lafester with their shooting percentage then Iowa is going to have a tough time pulling it out at the end. Need to hold them to under 12 3's. Iowa needs to hit 7 or 8 themselves.

Remember, ISU is all about the 3.

They are good with the 3 but its far from their only weapon.

Keys for Iowa are stopping dribble penetration from Kane, keeping Ejim and Hogue off the boards and putting ISU in foul trouble. I would love to make ISU go deep into their bench and play Morris, Long and others for extended periods of time. Fred likes to really ride his top guys and if we can force him to go to his bench that will really favor Iowa.

We also need White and Uthoff to show up big time. Role players step up more at home and being on the road we need our top guys to come through. White can't have one of his 7 points on four shots and 3 boards type of games, he needs to be ready to go against two very physical players in Ejim and Hogue. Same for Uthoff, can't have a Xavier type game out of him. It's his first road game, so we'll see how he responds.

I think this is absolutely key. UNI went under the ball screen playing D on Kane all night long. Let him shoot the 3 (hits 25%) of them, and take away his strength of getting to the basket. Iowa MUST limit 2nd chance points. It wasn't 'Nova shooting 37% from 3 pt range that cost Iowa that game, Iowa can overcome that. It was the 16 offensive rebounds that Iowa gave up that killed them in the end. Must limit ISU to one and done on offense.

Iowa also can't afford to go into their normal 5 min. lull. If ISU gets hot from 3, and Iowa goes cold, they can make a 10-15 pt swing in 5 min. just like 'Nova did to make their comeback.

If this were played at Carver, I'd pick Iowa. Since it is at Ames I think the Clones win. Iowa can win the game, it isn't impossible, but I think the edge goes to the home team in this matchup.

I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. They are less likely to wear down at the end. However, I think Iowa has a big advantage inside. If we work the ball inside effectively I think Iowa State's interior players have to sit with foul issues and that's the difference in the game.

Two key issues...Will Iowa State shoot lights out from 3 since Iowa is in the house? Will the rules on hand checking, arm bars, etc. be enforced? The 3s is an obvious advantage to ISU. The rules enforcement is an advantage to Iowa...much more interior depth and more fouls to give.

Intangible - Iowa has a lot of guys that played high school ball in Iowa. I think this can counter some of the Hilton edge...just my opinion.

I'm sure I'll get called crazy for this, but I'm not concerned much at all about 3 pointers from ISU. They may hit 12-14 of them. And if they do, we'll live with it.

What we have to protect against are the easy run outs and the offensive rebounding. For example, in the Villanova game, I know they hit a ton of 3's, but it wasn't that that beat us....it was our lack of rebounding and their ability to get 2nd shots that beat us.

We need to hit a decent % of our shots so we can set up our 3/4 court pressure in order to slow ISU down and lessen the time they have to set up their offense in the half court. Then we MUST rebound their misses.

Teams that shoot a lot of 3 pt shots can get more offensive rebounds because they are longer rebounds coming off the 3 pt shots. It's really important to box out, every player, when you play teams like that. It was a problem against Nova.

I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. They are less likely to wear down at the end. However, I think Iowa has a big advantage inside. If we work the ball inside effectively I think Iowa State's interior players have to sit with foul issues and that's the difference in the game.

Two key issues...Will Iowa State shoot lights out from 3 since Iowa is in the house? Will the rules on hand checking, arm bars, etc. be enforced? The 3s is an obvious advantage to ISU. The rules enforcement is an advantage to Iowa...much more interior depth and more fouls to give.

Intangible - Iowa has a lot of guys that played high school ball in Iowa. I think this can counter some of the Hilton edge...just my opinion.
Would Hilton be any less loud if it were in Texas? I'm not following the whole playing high school ball in Iowa point

I'm sure I'll get called crazy for this, but I'm not concerned much at all about 3 pointers from ISU. They may hit 12-14 of them. And if they do, we'll live with it.

What we have to protect against are the easy run outs and the offensive rebounding. For example, in the Villanova game, I know they hit a ton of 3's, but it wasn't that that beat us....it was our lack of rebounding and their ability to get 2nd shots that beat us.

We need to hit a decent % of our shots so we can set up our 3/4 court pressure in order to slow ISU down and lessen the time they have to set up their offense in the half court. Then we MUST rebound their misses.

Couldn't agree more. Both Xavier and Villanova had to shoot well above their season average from 3 to be in those games. And both put the ball through the net with hands in their faces. Quite frankly, any team that can do that has a chance in any game. We need to contest, but not at the expense of the rebound. And we can't have one of our 2-18 from deep nights. If we have an average shooting night and clean the glass we'll be in the game.

Agreed that Iowa hasn't proven their ability to guard the 3pt line. Villanova crushed them from 3pt in the 2nd half and I was shocked out how many open looks they got from 3. While Fairleigh shot 7 of 22 from 3 tonight, I feel like there were at least 4-5 open looks they got from 3 tonight. That's a theme I've noticed from all the games this year, wide open 3 point shots. Iowa can't afford to let that happen against ISU or they will be tossed out of Hilton.

Have no idea what he means re: in state players. The home crowd wants the home team to win in Hilton.

Having watched the Michigan game, that crowd is going to be HOT and HOSTILE. Let's hope Uthoff and Jok can handle the pressure of their first loud and crazy away game.

The homer in me says Iowa by 3 or 4, but the realist thinks ISU by 8. Close til the end but after fouls, ISU pulls away a bit more.

Two keys for Iowa:
1. Help defense
2. Pick and Roll

If I am ISU, I pick and roll all day,especially against Woodbury. Woodbury extends way to high on the pick and allows easy pass and drives to the basket. Iowa is also lacking at help defense. Move those dang feet. Defense is my key to victory.

Couldn't agree more. Both Xavier and Villanova had to shoot well above their season average from 3 to be in those games. And both put the ball through the net with hands in their faces. Quite frankly, any team that can do that has a chance in any game. We need to contest, but not at the expense of the rebound. And we can't have one of our 2-18 from deep nights. If we have an average shooting night and clean the glass we'll be in the game.

I agree if Iowa shoots OK and takes care of the glass, we'll definitely be in it. However, I think one factor overlooked is White. White is one of the best transition ball players in the B1G. His sub-par games have generally come in inconsequential games or when the opposing team is trying to limit transition ball. If ISU plays transition ball, then White and Marble have big games. Offense for Iowa would then not be an issue vs ISU and it becomes a battle for the boards. If ISU slows the tempo, then they slow Iowa's transition game but then they MUST hit the 3pter because of Iowa's height. Either way, I see rebounding as the biggest indicator of the game.

Part of that rebounding problem was the long ones off of missed 3s and playing a zone compounds that.

Iowa will play allot of zone and whether or not they can keep ejim and houge off the boards will play a big factor.

I do think isus "bigs" will end up in foul trouble so that could negate the rebounding issue.