Iowa/ISU Matchups

I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. They are less likely to wear down at the end. However, I think Iowa has a big advantage inside. If we work the ball inside effectively I think Iowa State's interior players have to sit with foul issues and that's the difference in the game.

Two key issues...Will Iowa State shoot lights out from 3 since Iowa is in the house? Will the rules on hand checking, arm bars, etc. be enforced? The 3s is an obvious advantage to ISU. The rules enforcement is an advantage to Iowa...much more interior depth and more fouls to give.

Intangible - Iowa has a lot of guys that played high school ball in Iowa. I think this can counter some of the Hilton edge...just my opinion.

Much more talented? Huh?

Thats a bizzar opinion.

Two keys for Iowa:
1. Help defense
2. Pick and Roll

If I am ISU, I pick and roll all day,especially against Woodbury. Woodbury extends way to high on the pick and allows easy pass and drives to the basket. Iowa is also lacking at help defense. Move those dang feet. Defense is my key to victory.

i havent seen many of these essy pass and drives.

Hes hedging the pick exactly like he is suposed to.

I think a combination of McCabe/Basabe/Uthoff can neutralize Niang (who was a matchup issue for us last season), with Uthoff being the primary. Olaseni and Woody will take Ejim, with Gabe as primary. The converse is that I don't know that isu can match up with Marble, Uthoff and White. We have more mismatches in our favor on offense then they do.

I don't see how you can say Iowa has more mismatches? Iowa is a bigger team, but Iowa State is a quicker team, neither has a clear advantage. Many of your matchups are WAY off as well, there is no way Fran puts Woody on Ejim and Uthoff on Niang.

It's going to be decided by these matchups:

Kane - Marble
Hogue - Uthoff
Ejim - White
Niang - Woody

Should be a great high scoring game with matchup problems for both teams, ISU will have issues defending in the paint and Iowa will on the perimeter.

Last edited:
I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. They are less likely to wear down at the end. However, I think Iowa has a big advantage inside.

It will be absolutely nothing like the Drake game. Iowa absolutely DESTROYED Drake on the boards 47-28 which turned the game into a joke, ISU is 4th in the nation in rebounding.

Last edited:
I think this looks a lot like the Drake game. Let me finish. Iowa State is more physical and much more talented. They are less likely to wear down at the end. However, I think Iowa has a big advantage inside. If we work the ball inside effectively I think Iowa State's interior players have to sit with foul issues and that's the difference in the game.

Two key issues...Will Iowa State shoot lights out from 3 since Iowa is in the house? Will the rules on hand checking, arm bars, etc. be enforced? The 3s is an obvious advantage to ISU. The rules enforcement is an advantage to Iowa...much more interior depth and more fouls to give.

Intangible - Iowa has a lot of guys that played high school ball in Iowa. I think this can counter some of the Hilton edge...just my opinion.

Great analizing.

Thought I'd breakdown a couple of our bench guys and compare them to ISU starters. If some of our bench guys, got ISU starter minutes, here is what the lines would be:

Uthoff's line, playing Hogue's amount of Min (28.6 per game):
14.2PPG 9.7RPG 1.24APG 55%FG 86%FT 54%3pt

Hogues lines (28.6 MPG played)
12.7PPG 10.4RPG .9APG 59%FG 61%FT 43%3pt

McCabes line, playing Ejim min. (28.6 per game):
16PPG 5.38 RPG 1.8 APG 49%FG 78%FT 49% 3Pt

Ejim's lines (28.6 MPG played)
18 PPG 7.8 RPG 2APG 52%FG 81%FT 39% 3Pt

Jok's line, playing Thomas amount of min. (29.7 per game):
16.8PPG 3.4RPG 2.4APG 40%FG 83%FT 34%3Pt

Thomas line (29.7 MPG played)
10.2PPG 3.4RPG 1.4APG 44%FG 64%FT 38%3Pt

Just thought it was interesting when you look at what those guys might do if they got starter min. Of course this isn't perfect as playing more min. is tougher, and you don't just automatically increase everything by the same %.

I think this is absolutely key. UNI went under the ball screen playing D on Kane all night long. Let him shoot the 3 (hits 25%) of them, and take away his strength of getting to the basket. Iowa MUST limit 2nd chance points. It wasn't 'Nova shooting 37% from 3 pt range that cost Iowa that game, Iowa can overcome that. It was the 16 offensive rebounds that Iowa gave up that killed them in the end. Must limit ISU to one and done on offense.

Iowa also can't afford to go into their normal 5 min. lull. If ISU gets hot from 3, and Iowa goes cold, they can make a 10-15 pt swing in 5 min. just like 'Nova did to make their comeback.

If this were played at Carver, I'd pick Iowa. Since it is at Ames I think the Clones win. Iowa can win the game, it isn't impossible, but I think the edge goes to the home team in this matchup.

I would agree with you. Home court is likely the difference. Both teams have quality players. ISU's strength is that it can put 5 guys on the floor who can all shoot, dribble and pass. Defending them is very difficult. Iowa has had a difficult time defending the last 2 somewhat similar teams (Villanova and Notre Dame). I can envision a scenario where Iowa is chasing ISU, always one pass behind, with ISU having open 3's or driving lanes.

This game is good for Iowa, even with a loss. ISU is a tournament quality team and could be ranked all year. Will be good to see how Iowa reacts in the first road game.

Kids born and raised in Iowa tend to be fans...which supports my original point. I'm not sure why you didn't type your own comment rather than misquoting me...

ISU lives and dies by the 3. If they make at least as many as they miss - they win. They play good defense and Hilton is a huge advantage for them obviously.

Iowa's chances to win greatly improve by getting ISU in foul trouble early and getting points in transition.

Every Clone and his favorite pig will be there screaming their lungs out so Iowa has to control the tempo, get points from the line and defend the 3.

ISU lives and dies by the 3. If they make at least as many as they miss - they win. They play good defense and Hilton is a huge advantage for them obviously.

Iowa's chances to win greatly improve by getting ISU in foul trouble early and getting points in transition.

Every Clone and his favorite pig will be there screaming their lungs out so Iowa has to control the tempo, get points from the line and defend the 3.

ISU doesn't live and die by the 3 as much this year as last. They are actually a more complete team, and really rebound well for being undersized. Don't sleep on their rebounding, and don't get surprised that they shoot about 33% from 3pt land against the Hawks.

Here is what they have shoot from 3 this season per game: 33% (UNI game), 37%, 37%, 29% (BYU game), 30% (Michigan), 44%, 47%. Overall they are shooting 37% for the year. Yet as you can see, against better competition, they are shooting 33% or under.

To win hawks need to do a couple things.

1. Pack in that zone and limit the offensive boards/dribble drive. (I don't wanna see Niag one on one in the post or Kane driving)
2. Answer the the runs. At some point ISU will make a run and the place will go wild. Need to nip that in the butt and get back to basketball asap. Can't lose momentum.
3. Shoot a decent clip from 3 point range

If it comes down to ISU having the home court then Hawk fans need to do the following:

1) buy some really ugly shirts you can pick up a lot of ISU gear at goodwill. Do not wear a McDonalds shirt ISU fans don’t like this.
2) Ware them and approach ISU fans selling tickets to the game
3) Take off the shirt burn it and take a quick shower somewhere you don’t want that stank on you for very long

With this we could get enough hawk fans in the arena. My fear is that most hawk fans will have an allergic reaction to wearing yellow and red get sick and not make the game.

So what the team will need to do is get ISU into early foul trouble. Even if not the Hawks are deeper and has just as much talent on the team as a whole. It will be very tuff to win there, but it is an early must win to keep the attention of the nation. If they lose then the go into the shadows, but still have plenty of opportunity to win and the B1G and make the dance.

Go Hawks it would be a GREAT WIN! I personally think this team still needs to prove they can win these types of games. Especially after not winning the battle for Atlantis. If they can’t then I have some concerns with going into the B1G. JMO

Latest posts