Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

Not all the posts were bad. Some actually had some sense but what do you expect. Every fan base has fans like that. Especially when they are talking about rivals.
I do think it will be a close game this year. I think it's great that both schools look they will be competitive for years to come.

This is true but Cyclone fans are the most hypocritical, delusional and illogical fanbase there is. PERIOD. Their inferior complex is shown in the fact they have a thread over there regarding a POSSIBLE transfer for IOWA that is 3x the length than the thread of the same topic over here!! That just blows my mind. Considering 95% of their fanbase considers their program elite, it amazes me when they feature threads regarding Iowa topics that are longer than threads over here. Just dumbfounding. Cyclone fans certainly have found dumb.

Side note: Kool-Aid was founded by an Iowa State alumni in 1927. Ironically I don't care for Kool-Aid nor do I care for Iowa State fans. Coincidence? I think not.

This is true but Cyclone fans are the most hypocritical, delusional and illogical fanbase there is. PERIOD. Their inferior complex is shown in the fact they have a thread over there regarding a POSSIBLE transfer for IOWA that is 3x the length than the thread of the same topic over here!! That just blows my mind. Considering 95% of their fanbase considers their program elite, it amazes me when they feature threads regarding Iowa topics that are longer than threads over here. Just dumbfounding. Cyclone fans certainly have found dumb.

Side note: Kool-Aid was founded by an Iowa State alumni in 1927. Ironically I don't care for Kool-Aid nor do I care for Iowa State fans. Coincidence? I think not.

You do realize that this is a 5 page thread in response to a thread that was on CF right? CF talks about a basketball game, and you talk about what they said about that basketball game. I guess we know what content drives conversation on HN

The most delusional are the football posts.

Couple things here. First off, it's the off season. Not exactly a whole lot else to talk about. Secondly, there are a way more posters on CF than there are here. Therefore, more opinions. By the way, I've never once encountered a Cyclone fan that thinks ISU is elite in any sport. Lastly, you may want to check the rivals section here. There are a ton of Cyclone related threads. What does that mean? Less than nothing. It's the internet. Who cares.

This game more than any on Iowa's 2013-14 schedule -- save for The Dance -- will hinge on the officiating. If the Hawks are allowed to play a B1G style game, it will be over early and they'll return to Iowa City with a 20-25 win. If it's ticky-tack, MAC or Conference USA style officiating that is more the norm in Lames, that will feed Clown homerism and Iowa will have a harder time getting it going. In that case I would expect a very close game with potentially a 5-point victory. Either way Iowa wins, just a matter of by how much. Clowns will not be able to hang with his year's Iowa team.

As I read thru their posts I was shocked by how good they thought they would be (despite losing so much if their productivity from last year) and how average to bad they thought we would be (despite us having a deeper more experienced team this year). How two fan bases can be so far off was really surprising to me.

If you look at the way marbles game took off the last few games it is not far fetched at all to see him being a game changer this year. A guy that can take over a game. His games toward the end if the season were very impressive. Considering he disappeared job the middle if the season for a number of games, having him healthy and playing at a level he did at the end if the year alone will make our team much better. A junior year for big red whitey could be a big year from him, and you could see big freshman to sophomore gains from woody and gessel. Throw in a nice addition of utoff and some production from jok, there's little way we aren't a better team this year than last years team that took a lot of teams in the big to final possessions. Big break out year for us compared to a team we beat last year and a team that loses half their players. It will be close just because it is at Hilton magic mike arena but anyone over in lames that thinks its an easy win is not looking at it objectively at all.

If they think woody and gessel aren't going to improve and be better this year they are crazy. I've played lots and lots of ball in my life and I'm fairly certain you will see improvement from both. I also think whitey takes a step forward this year and marble becomes a guy that we can count on to create his own shot when needed and win games. With all these things happening combined with the potential of some potential good additions of utoff and Jok, we could be pretty darn good. The ceiling is high for this team.

... and you could see big freshman to sophomore gains from woody and gessel ...
But .. .. .. didn't you hear? Woody and Gessel have already maxed out!! They're not going to get any better and neither is Marble!!

(Insert sarcasm smiley here.)

GO HAWKS!!!

Absolutely no way woody and gessel are done improving and the best they are going to be. That's silly to even suggest

But .. .. .. didn't you hear? Woody and Gessel have already maxed out!! They're not going to get any better and neither is Marble!!

(Insert sarcasm smiley here.)

GO HAWKS!!!

Yep Fran can't develop talent. Never had a guy drafted, that's all the proof you need.

I really think Marble has the potential to have a very special year. Every year that Marble has been here he has taken that next step towards the end of the season and carried it into the next season. The potential is there to make another jump. There are still things for him to improve on and he is still young for his class. I also think not making team USA will give him extra motivation.

I fully expect this team to take a big step forward in offensive production. The staff put a lot of work in with the team last year to improve on the defensive end as that was a weak point in 2011. That could be a reason why we saw a dip on the offensive end. After setting up the offense in 2011 and then working hard on defense in 2012, they now have a strong base to allow for growth in both areas.

Most of those people in that thread have zero knowledge of basketball. Iowa is prime to take that next step. The only question mark going into this year is how we replace the perimeter defense that May provided and I truly think that answer will be Sapp. He has a ton of footage from last year to look at and learn from on both the offensive and defensive end.

The PTL is giving us a glimpse on what each player is working on and what they are going to bring to the table this year. When I watch the videos that get posted online I'm not looking at the scoring or anything like that. I'm trying to see the improvements each player has made and what they are trying to do consistently throughout the game that they either didn't well with last year or at all.

Did they really say that?

LMAO, what a bunch of wishful thinking morons.

Lol yes they sure did. Save yourself the embarassment of reading through it. They specifically said they think Woody and Gesell have already hit their ceiling hahaha. Yep. That's the kind of knowledge we're talking about over there. Two true freshman who saw an incredible amount of playing time in their first year of college ball will not possibly get any better over the next three years... Lol I just continue to shake my head when I think about the stupidity of that thought process.

Good thing most of them will be working with animals in the future.

Wow. That comment about your freshmen really got at you guys. It's just an uninformed clown fan remember. Why care so much?

Wow. That comment about your freshmen really got at you guys. It's just an uninformed clown fan remember. Why care so much?

Stewo, I think this year you will start to see the difference between building a program on a solid foundation of hard recruiting and solid individuals and trying to cobble together one each year with transfers who don't quite fit in other programs. I give The Mayor about two more years before his lack of effective recruiting and long-term planning catches up with him and he decides to move to the NBA. Once again in college hoops, this is a Hawkeye state.

Note the date and book it.

I know the Clones don't play much defense anyway but this group of newbies will struggle like most youngsters do. Throw in the fact that Iowa has the more talented, experienced and deeper team and Iowa will likely win. I'm not even factoring in the many question marks ISU will have on offense. ISU always has a chance in Hilton but Iowa should win...probably by double figures.

This is absolutely great. You do realize that the argument you laid out above is the EXACT SAME ONE I-State fans were using last year don't you? What happened? Our team of 5th year seniors went to Carver and lost to a bunch of talented youngsters. You guys were going to be too inexperienced... too green... just out of high school... there was no way you could hang with Lucious, Clyburn, Babb, McGee, etc. Remember those comments from Clone fans?

Flash forward one year. Now you are using the exact same logic we did last year and don't seem to understand why we think we'll win the game.

Stewo, I think this year you will start to see the difference between building a program on a solid foundation of hard recruiting and solid individuals and trying to cobble together one each year with transfers who don't quite fit in other programs. I give The Mayor about two more years before his lack of effective recruiting and long-term planning catches up with him and he decides to move to the NBA. Once again in college hoops, this is a Hawkeye state.

Note the date and book it.

Well said. Count me in on that prediction. +1 hombre.

This is absolutely great. You do realize that the argument you laid out above is the EXACT SAME ONE I-State fans were using last year don't you? What happened? Our team of 5th year seniors went to Carver and lost to a bunch of talented youngsters. You guys were going to be too inexperienced... too green... just out of high school... there was no way you could hang with Lucious, Clyburn, Babb, McGee, etc. Remember those comments from Clone fans?

Flash forward one year. Now you are using the exact same logic we did last year and don't seem to understand why we think we'll win the game.

This is an absurd post. It's almost too stupid to break down.

So, because a young team (one that returns all but one guy) beat a team of experienced players last year, we should somehow understand why ISU fans think their team of mostly unproven players will beat the team that beat them last year.

Iowa fans aren't assuming a young team cannot beat a veteran team, it's just Iowa has better basketball players, and experience.

Ejim is good, Niang is good but limited athletically, Kane is incredibly inefficient- I'm not worried.

Can ISU beat Iowa- of course. Hilton is a tough place for Iowa, but Iowa will prove to be the better team throughout the course of the season.

Last edited:

Latest posts