Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

All I'm saying is that ISU got much better as the season went on. They found their groove, so to speak. That's always going to be an issue with transfers and Juco's. It's going to take a number of games before they have a good feel for each other. That's the #1 reason why I don't like the transfer deal. That said, if there are early losses followed by much better play and the NCAA's, then it's basically moot to me. Also, there's no denying that Iowa got better as the season went on as well. ISU was able to get better faster and it afforded them the chance to play in the NCAA's. Add to the fact that ISU's conference schedule wasn't quite as tough. I think this rivalry will only get better as the years pass.

Don't care to get into a ******* match, but there's no way that Hawk fans actually think that was a good ISU showing. It was probably top 5 worst games of the season for them. Meanwhile, Iowa was on fire. Now, I'm not trying to take credit away from Iowa, but that certainly wasn't the best out of ISU. I think that was very evident as the season wore on.

Im not trying to say what you just said is crazy but I do think its nuts.

That last paragraph is perfect.

Iowa probably should win by twenty points. Iowa state is unproven from the outside, and Iowas interior game should be a lot stronger than Iowa states. I can see Iowa tearing up Iowa state this year, but I can't see Iowa state doing the same to Iowa.

Don't care to get into a ******* match, but there's no way that Hawk fans actually think that was a good ISU showing. It was probably top 5 worst games of the season for them. Meanwhile, Iowa was on fire. Now, I'm not trying to take credit away from Iowa, but that certainly wasn't the best out of ISU. I think that was very evident as the season wore on.

Seriously? Iowa was on FIRE??? They were 5 of 20 from 3 pt range. If they were on fire, they would have won by 20+

Iowa was a better team in that game, and it wasn't because they shot absurdly high. Don't be like most of the ISU trolls around here, you know better than this.

All I'm saying is that ISU got much better as the season went on.

I don't agree with this. They got into conference play which resulted in their schedule getting weaker. If Iowa and ISU had played late in the year at Carver the result would have been the same. ISU fans would still claim the Clones had an off night when it was actually a result of Iowa's excellent defense. Iowa's defensive strengths were a perfect match for what ISU wanted to do offensively.

Roughly this. I wouldn't say Iowa was on fire (maybe relative to their generally poor shooting last season), but that was definitely a poor ISU showing. Clyburn did absolutely nothing in that game, and while Iowa's defense was really damn good last year, Clyburn was an All-Big 12 performer. He didn't go scoreless just because of the defense, IMO. It was also an off night for him in a game that was decided by 9 points.

Iowa was in control, but they never really pulled away from ISU in the second half. They maintained a 7-9 point buffer for most of the half, and very briefly held double-digit leads (largest lead was 11, and that lasted about 20 seconds).

That's basketball though Stewo. That's how #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament get knocked out early by teams that have no business beating them. Either way you have to give the winning team credit. In this case you have to give Iowa's defense credit for effectively shutting down a damn good Cyclone offense. Iowa State was a different team at the end of last season compared to when they played Iowa. I will honestly say I think Iowa State would have beat the Hawks had they met later in the year.

That's just how the game works though. Certainly so with Iowa State's reliance on the 3 ball. If they show up and have a bad shooting night there's a good chance they are going to struggle to get the W. Given what Iowa returns and what ISU loses I would give the nod to the Hawks this coming season. However, I think it will be a tight game and more than likely the winner will be the team who has the highest shooting percentage, most rebounds, and makes the least mistakes.

While that's all true, that's all the more reason to recognize that the outcome of a close game, played in Carver, has no legitimate translation to this year's game in Hilton. I certainly don't think ISU will handle Iowa the way some of their fans think, but Iowa isn't likely to stroll in and take over the building for themselves. It's going to be a battle.

Roughly this. I wouldn't say Iowa was on fire (maybe relative to their generally poor shooting last season), but that was definitely a poor ISU showing. Clyburn did absolutely nothing in that game, and while Iowa's defense was really damn good last year, Clyburn was an All-Big 12 performer. He didn't go scoreless just because of the defense, IMO. It was also an off night for him in a game that was decided by 9 points.

Iowa was in control, but they never really pulled away from ISU in the second half. They maintained a 7-9 point buffer for most of the half, and very briefly held double-digit leads (largest lead was 11, and that lasted about 20 seconds).

May and other Hawks also improved as the year progressed. Improved play by various Hawks offsets improved play by various Clones.

The good news is Iowa and ISU played a game last year and Iowa won. We don't have to wonder what would have happened had they played. They did play and Iowa won.

All I'm saying is that ISU got much better as the season went on. They found their groove, so to speak. That's always going to be an issue with transfers and Juco's. It's going to take a number of games before they have a good feel for each other.

Is that any different with freshmen? Iowa started three against ISU.

Yeah based on that one game you would think Iowa was a really good defensive team especially against the 3, maybe the type of defensive team that finished 22nd in the nation in total defense and 11th in the nation in opponents 3 pt FG%.

What's that? Those were actually Iowa's stat rankings in those categories? Well maybe Iowa did have something to do with ISU playing poorly that night.

You are the worst of the ISU trolls because I don't think you are even trolling I just think you are ******* stupid.

I think this is the part that ISU fan just doesn't realize. Iowa's D will be good again next year. Plus just look at what ISU lost from deep. This is Clyburn, McGee, Lucious, and Babb's 3 point shooting:

696 Attempts 270 made for a 39% shooting from 3 pt. range. Think about that for a second. ISU fan really thinks that a transfer PG, a true FR, a RS FR, and another JUCO will shot that much for that kind of %?

It just won't happen. I know ISU fan us ultra confident, but that is just mind boggling that ISU fan can believe that 4-5 completely unknowns will replace what Clyburn, Babb, Lucious, and McGee did last year (all SR., and all with tons of game experience).

All I'm saying is that ISU got much better as the season went on. They found their groove, so to speak. That's always going to be an issue with transfers and Juco's. It's going to take a number of games before they have a good feel for each other. That's the #1 reason why I don't like the transfer deal. That said, if there are early losses followed by much better play and the NCAA's, then it's basically moot to me. Also, there's no denying that Iowa got better as the season went on as well. ISU was able to get better faster and it afforded them the chance to play in the NCAA's. Add to the fact that ISU's conference schedule wasn't quite as tough. I think this rivalry will only get better as the years pass.

Good thing Iowa had found their groove so early with such a veteran team, starting 3 guys that had just unpacked their dorm rooms for the first time ever.

Keep up with the excuses, I am loving the attempts.

Really looking forward to this game. Feeling that Iowa can't win big because it's in L'Ames, but ISU can't win big because they simply won't be as good as Iowa (this has been admitted by several clones, obviously not the ones on CF). Expecting to see points scored early and often and expecting it to be close in the end. Can't wait.

While that's all true, that's all the more reason to recognize that the outcome of a close game, played in Carver, has no legitimate translation to this year's game in Hilton. I certainly don't think ISU will handle Iowa the way some of their fans think, but Iowa isn't likely to stroll in and take over the building for themselves. It's going to be a battle.

I agree with this. I don't think Iowa will roll into Hilton and win easy. If they do win, it will be a very tough game.

That said, I have ZERO doubts that Iowa will have a better overall year, and will easily make the tourney, and ISU will be lucky to be a bubble team.

I think this is the part that ISU fan just doesn't realize. Iowa's D will be good again next year. Plus just look at what ISU lost from deep. This is Clyburn, McGee, Lucious, and Babb's 3 point shooting:

696 Attempts 270 made for a 39% shooting from 3 pt. range. Think about that for a second. ISU fan really thinks that a transfer PG, a true FR, a RS FR, and another JUCO will shot that much for that kind of %?

It just won't happen. I know ISU fan us ultra confident, but that is just mind boggling that ISU fan can believe that 4-5 completely unknowns will replace what Clyburn, Babb, Lucious, and McGee did last year (all SR., and all with tons of game experience).

As a Hawk fan I am very happy McGee and Babb are gone.

Dude all those guys have been scoring like 40+ every night in the CCL. You think that doesn't translate to the B12? ISU has nothing to worry about, so what if Matt Thomas shot mid 30% from 3 against slow white kids from Wisconsin, Fred's coaching him now, I would be surprised if he shoots anything less than 50% from 3 this year.

Wow. I just read thru that entire thread over there on the ketchup and mustard site. The first time (and likely the last) i have ever been to the site. I really hated the clowns before, now i really hate them. While it was interesting reading i am quite surprised by their confidence given the following: 1. We beat them last year 2. I felt we beat them rather easily compared to other teams we had to fight to beat 3. We beat them with Marble only scoring six points and not near the player we saw in the late in the season and in NIT where he took over games and the player i believe we will see out of him this year 4. We will be a better and more experienced team this year with gessel, wood, Clemons all with another year under their belt. I see wood improving quite a bit. I also see marble having a huge year. 6. Don't the clowns lose a ton of starters versus our one that scored two points in the game? Yes it will be at that big godly awful ugly cement building which will make it a tough game, but anyone over in lames that thinks that Iowa isn't going to be a good team next year and it will be an easy win is delusional and is probably right where they need to be in their meat science curriculum. Yes, ketchup and mustard did get better throughout the season (in a weaker conference) but those of us that watched the hawks know that we got better too when marble caught fire. Talks cheap clones, scoreboard. PS: I think gessel and Woodbury really liked beating the gonads from lames and will do it three more years in a row.

Wow. I just read thru that entire thread over there on the ketchup and mustard site. The first time (and likely the last) i have ever been to the site. I really hated the clowns before, now i really hate them. While it was interesting reading i am quite surprised by their confidence given the following: 1. We beat them last year 2. I felt we beat them rather easily compared to other teams we had to fight to beat 3. We beat them with Marble only scoring six points and not near the player we saw in the late in the season and in NIT where he took over games and the player i believe we will see out of him this year 4. We will be a better and more experienced team this year with gessel, wood, Clemons all with another year under their belt. I see wood improving quite a bit. I also see marble having a huge year. 6. Don't the clowns lose a ton of starters versus our one that scored two points in the game? Yes it will be at that big godly awful ugly cement building which will make it a tough game, but anyone over in lames that thinks that Iowa isn't going to be a good team next year and it will be an easy win is delusional and is probably right where they need to be in their meat science curriculum. Yes, ketchup and mustard did get better throughout the season (in a weaker conference) but those of us that watched the hawks know that we got better too when marble caught fire. Talks cheap clones, scoreboard. PS: I think gessel and Woodbury really liked beating the gonads from lames and will do it three more years in a row.

Let the hate flow brother.

in all seriousness though, my hope in five years is that this game is considered a good loss or a good win by either side. It would be nice for this game to have more riding on it than the fans' d:ck measuring contests.

Fran doesn't develop players because Marble's shooting percentage went down last year, didn't you learn that from the thread? Plus he's never had a player drafted into the NBA so obviously he sucks as a coach. Just like Gregg Marshall, he's been coaching 16 years with no draft picks, I don't know how Wichita St doesn't fire him?

The biggest thing I took away from the idiocy over there, is that they WANT the Hawks to be bad, so therefore they THINK the Hawks will be terrible. Some ISU fans tried to talk some sense into them, and explain that Iowa will be pretty good....yet most of them would have none of that.

It is also incredible to me that they think they are going to be soooooo good. Do they realize they lost 4 of their top 6 players???? They just think some white kid who shot 37% in Wisconsin HS will shoot lights out like McGee? That some RS FR is going to come in and be as good as Babb? They think some JUCO Bluford, or Naz Long is going to replace Clyburn? I do think Kane will replace Lucious just fine. I like drinking kool aid, but losing those kinds of players would worry me. Heck I will be worried when we lose Marble, McCabe, and Basabe, and those are only 3 of our top 10 players.

Hilton is the great equalizer....KU knows that also.

I will take a one point win over ISU in Hilton,and skip out with a smile on my face.
Should be a great game.

Latest posts