Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

They sound scared to me, and they should be. I almost spit out my drink when I read Gessel, Woodbury, and Clemmons have reached their peak already...oh my, they are a delusional bunch over in clown town. They might want to reword their statement as the those 3 will be the reason we won't beat them anytime soon.

Thanks for the laughs, I'm glad a team never develops from year to year in Ames because they're all transfers.

The biggest thing I took away from the idiocy over there, is that they WANT the Hawks to be bad, so therefore they THINK the Hawks will be terrible. Some ISU fans tried to talk some sense into them, and explain that Iowa will be pretty good....yet most of them would have none of that.

It is also incredible to me that they think they are going to be soooooo good. Do they realize they lost 4 of their top 6 players???? They just think some white kid who shot 37% in Wisconsin HS will shoot lights out like McGee? That some RS FR is going to come in and be as good as Babb? They think some JUCO Bluford, or Naz Long is going to replace Clyburn? I do think Kane will replace Lucious just fine. I like drinking kool aid, but losing those kinds of players would worry me. Heck I will be worried when we lose Marble, McCabe, and Basabe, and those are only 3 of our top 10 players.

Put me in the camp of thinking Iowa will be pretty good next year. That said, i still think ISU wins the game in Hilton.

We're used to hearing the "they'll suck because they lose so and so next year". It's gone from Diante Garrett after Hoiberg's first year, to Royce White, Chris Allen, and Scott Christopherson, and now to Lucious, Babb, Clyburn and McGee.

Don't worry about us, we'll be fine.

Put me in the camp of thinking Iowa will be pretty good next year. That said, i still think ISU wins the game in Hilton.

We're used to hearing the "they'll suck because they lose so and so next year". It's gone from Diante Garrett after Hoiberg's first year, to Royce White, Chris Allen, and Scott Christopherson, and now to Lucious, Babb, Clyburn and McGee.

I won't worry about ISU, but here is my take on the 'Clods; they have their top player returning in Niang and I expect him to have a better year, maybe not numbers-wise, but just how he leads the team.

With Niang, ISU has a very good player that will be reliable until everyone else catches up. Dorsey-Walker will be the key for ISU, if he develops like some believe and has gained some weight he will be a player in the mold of Clyburn.

Now, on the Iowa side, there are veterans all over the place who have been in Hilton before; they got thumped there a couple of years ago. Hilton magic only exists for B12 opponents, but ISU gets up for Iowa more than any other team and it is understandable. I like Iowa over ISU in a game less than 5 pts because of Iowa's overall depth and talent. The sophomores are going to be ready to be the true complimentary players, but step up if Marble/White get shut down. I think the deciding factor will be Iowa going to the early tournament and if they see some big time competition they will be ready. Iowa's shooting has to improve; I don't see them dropping off on defense, but actually getting better as I think they will block even more shots than last year. Iowa's bench will be the biggest key with all the experience they will bring and the X-Factors of Jok/Utoff if one or both ends up not starting, I am thinking Uthoff will start though.

I found this one interesting

Frankly, I'm a little concerned about the state of CyclONE nation thinking we can only beat the Hawks due to our home court advantage this year. Give it a rest people, Iowa is BAD. They will feature, in large, the same NIT team they had a year ago. You think a year of experience has turned guys like Gessel or Clemons or Woodbury into All-Big 10 athletes? No way! Those 3 hit their ceilings already, much like Iowa seniors Devyn Marble and Melsahn Basabe did. I think a lot of Iowa's potential success comes down to the impact Jok/more so Uthoff, have on the offensive side of the ball. Otherwise, this is the same poor shooting, unathletic team that somehow beat an un-motivated Cyclone squad a year ago. Iowa State is still the better team, even on paper, in my book. Look for a 9-15 point win IMO.

I must say this clown is as dumb as they come, got to love the bs they spew over and over....saying those guys have reached their ceilings just show how dumb these guys are over there.

I must say this clown is as dumb as they come, got to love the bs they spew over and over....saying those guys have reached their ceilings just show how dumb these guys are over there.

Marble hit his ceiling? He went from 5.7 to 11.5 to 15.0 ppg. If there was a ceiling along the way, somebody forgot to notify Marble.

Marble hit his ceiling? He went from 5.7 to 11.5 to 15.0 ppg. If there was a ceiling along the way, somebody forgot to notify Marble.

You gotta remember that this is the same fanbase that calls a football team that has won 7, 5, 6, and 6 as an team obviously on the rise.......how are they to know that ACTUAL improvement looks like Marbles stats: 5.7 to 11.5 to 15 PPG.

More group think circle jerking from our friends over there. I imagined they had similar threads before the game last year and we all know how that turned out.

Similar? I thought it was the exact same thread from last year.

Some of them watch basketball other than ISU and get it, but it seems like most of the them just think, Iowa = white guys = unathletic. ISU = black= athletic.

LOL, Were they not watching last year? Iowa out ran, out quicked and out jumped them all game.

I honestly don't think ISU stands a chance in this one. Way to many new faces to go against a team that returns 9 of its top ten that beat you last year.

How about we just skip football season and jump right into basketball season. This is the year I pointed to when Marble, McCabe, and Basabe were freshmen. It should be fun!!!!! It will also be fun to watch our super sophomore class move into their Junior season. :)

I really shouldn't have read that thread at CyClown fanatic. Man, what a bunch of total haters. I may poke fun at ISU to get the goats of the ISU trolls around here, but I actually root for them when not playing Iowa. I also have no delusions of grander about ISU since I'm not a super tool like those guys. I can objectively look at the team, and I think they are just drinking the Kool Aid. The team could make the NCAA, they do have talent. I just don't know if the FR and JUCO talent will show up consistently like they just assume it will. I still think it is 50/50 at best that they make the Dance. On the flip side, they have no clue when they try to break down Iowa. It is like a bunch of 8 year old boys that make fun of girls, cause they are icky.....total d!psh!t logic over there.....

You gotta remember that this is the same fanbase that calls a football team that has won 7, 5, 6, and 6 as an team obviously on the rise.......how are they to know that ACTUAL improvement looks like Marbles stats: 5.7 to 11.5 to 15 PPG.

Well Roads is improving within the B12 he's went from 3 wins to 3 wins to 3 wins to 3 wins, that's steady improvement my man.

I think that the two boards should create a real physical traveling trophy. The winning board mod (Jon Miller for us) would maintain physical possession and a photo of the trophy provided by the winner (in an appropriate setting, of course) would have to be pinned to the top of both basketball forums until the next SEASON.

There would need to be a timeline for getting it done on time including a fundraiser, design submissions, design votes (I cannot imagine a fair voting, balanced mechanism), and manufacture.

This is my great idea and I support it.

Last edited:

I know the Clones don't play much defense anyway but this group of newbies will struggle like most youngsters do. Throw in the fact that Iowa has the more talented, experienced and deeper team and Iowa will likely win. I'm not even factoring in the many question marks ISU will have on offense. ISU always has a chance in Hilton but Iowa should win...probably by double figures.

I really shouldn't have read that thread at CyClown fanatic. Man, what a bunch of total haters. I may poke fun at ISU to get the goats of the ISU trolls around here, but I actually root for them when not playing Iowa. I also have no delusions of grander about ISU since I'm not a super tool like those guys. I can objectively look at the team, and I think they are just drinking the Kool Aid. The team could make the NCAA, they do have talent. I just don't know if the FR and JUCO talent will show up consistently like they just assume it will. I still think it is 50/50 at best that they make the Dance. On the flip side, they have no clue when they try to break down Iowa. It is like a bunch of 8 year old boys that make fun of girls, cause they are icky.....total d!psh!t logic over there.....

Thats Iowa State fans for ya. The inferiority complex regarding anything Iowa just gets passed from generation to generation.

Not all the posts were bad. Some actually had some sense but what do you expect. Every fan base has fans like that. Especially when they are talking about rivals.
I do think it will be a close game this year. I think it's great that both schools look they will be competitive for years to come.

The thing is the freshman and Jucos aren't going to be relied upon. Ejim, Niang, And Kane will be the leading scorers. Guys like Gibson and Palo are upperclassman that will be valuable role players. And then Hogue will be a starter and then probably whoever steps up between Thomas, SDW, and Bluford at SG. They are probably preseason number 4 team in the big 12

The thing is the freshman and Jucos aren't going to be relied upon. Ejim, Niang, And Kane will be the leading scorers. Guys like Gibson and Palo are upperclassman that will be valuable role players. And then Hogue will be a starter and then probably whoever steps up between Thomas, SDW, and Bluford at SG. They are probably preseason number 4 team in the big 12

If Bubu and Gibson are going to be big contributors, that team is in trouble. That is like when McCabe was starting for us. Nice player, does a ton of things well, but the TEAM is better with him coming off the bench being more of a role player. There is no doubt the team will live and die with Niang, Ejim, and Kane....but they need to get big contributions from Walker, Thomas, Morris, Bluford, and Edozie if they want to make the NCAA again. Keep in mind they need to replace the following from Clyburn, Lucious, Babb, and McGee:

47.2 PPG (60% of their scoring)
15.6 RPG (41% of their rebounding)
11.2 APG (70% of their assists)

I still don't think ISU fan understands just how much they are losing this year. When they lost White, Christopherson, and Allen, they had plug and play ready for 2 of those 3 players in Clyburn and Lucious. This year they lost 4 very key guys, and only have 1 plug and play guy. The other 3 they are relying on unproven FR and unproven JUCO's to replace them

If Bubu and Gibson are going to be big contributors, that team is in trouble. That is like when McCabe was starting for us. Nice player, does a ton of things well, but the TEAM is better with him coming off the bench being more of a role player. There is no doubt the team will live and die with Niang, Ejim, and Kane....but they need to get big contributions from Walker, Thomas, Morris, Bluford, and Edozie if they want to make the NCAA again. Keep in mind they need to replace the following from Clyburn, Lucious, Babb, and McGee:

47.2 PPG (60% of their scoring)
15.6 RPG (41% of their rebounding)
11.2 APG (70% of their assists)

I still don't think ISU fan understands just how much they are losing this year. When they lost White, Christopherson, and Allen, they had plug and play ready for 2 of those 3 players in Clyburn and Lucious. This year they lost 4 very key guys, and only have 1 plug and play guy. The other 3 they are relying on unproven FR and unproven JUCO's to replace them

I didn't say Palo and Gibson would be big contributors I said they would be valuable role players. Some of their players are unknowns so it is hard to project but I think looking at the new guys that they will be the 4th best team in the big 12. Things could change based on play but that's why they call it a projection. If they are the 4th best team in the big 12 then they will go to the tourney again.

Basically the only reason I think Iowa State wins is the game is at Hilton. Nothing is an equalizer like home court in CBB. I do expect iowa to be the better team, but I also think there is a ceiling on how good iowa can be based on my opinion that iowa lacks rally talented offensive players and high level athletic ability. For the record Iowa State isn't that athletic this year either.

Latest posts