Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

Here's the thing about this post. I can read everything you say in here and think "I understand why he thinks that". But by the time you get to the end of the post, every single thing in it is worded with the most negative slant possible. For instance, when you throw in "took him until his 11th year to have his best season". How is that relevant unless you are trying to make it sound as negative as possible? What if Fran gets us a 1 seed in four years? Will you say "took him until his 15th season to have his best year"? It makes no sense. This was the best regular season in 35 years and tied for our highest seed ever. Does it matter that it's in his 11th year?
It only matters that he got us there again and along the road has shown he can have long term sustained success. If you are Iowa, you in no way want to start this over. Again, look from 1999 to 2011 - you make the wrong hire, things don't always work for Iowa. Ya can't just plug ANYONE in there, or that would have been the case with the previous guys before Fran.

Fran is good Iowa, Iowa is good for Fran. Let's make sure he knows he's wanted here. I am for that. What is wrong with that? Iowa didn't break the bank here (even though terms haven't really been discussed, I feel confident in that)

I seriously laugh at the "no one is beating down Fran's door" take. Like they have any idea. Look at all the programs around the country looking for coaches and trading them out and how often they are going to the dance. Look at all the programs around Iowa struggling.

You don't think that they'd want some of what Fran can give them? I think you're wrong, especially on the east coast where he's a bigger name and now is recruiting much better. I just think someone who says there is no interests really just has no idea what they are talking about. Fran is connected in the coaching world and very respected. I can't help you if you are clueless and don't know that.

LOL, Iowa didn't open the check book, I feel pretty positive of that. Especially in the current Covid environment and the school hemorrhaging money and having to take out loans to stay afloat. They made sure Fran knew he was wanted here. He didn't suddenly go from 11th highest paid coach in the B1G to in the top 5, which is where he typically has Iowa every season. I am sure it's more in line with what he should be getting. Iowa has been getting a Fran for a song for a long while. If Fran was stock, Iowa is doing exactly what you're suggesting, buying low.
Let me be further clear....I think he is yearly pay should go up, but extending his contract out feels like putting the cart before the horse. I would buy low on stock in his contract years....at the moment. Get back with me when the season ends.

Last edited:
I seriously laugh at the "no one is beating down Fran's door" take. Like they have any idea. Look at all the programs around the country looking for coaches and trading them out and how often they are going to the dance. Look at all the programs around Iowa struggling.
This.

Add to that any program beating down the door to get Fran is likely in dumpster fire mode because they just fired their existing coach, and why would Fran leave Iowa for that?

You rubes think a contract extension just popped out of nowhere and Fran hadn't talked about it already behind the scenes? Like Farta just woke up one morning and on his daily run to wash Mary's car and walk Kirk's shih tzu he just decided, "Hey, I like Fran. I think I'm going to give that guy 4 more years and $15 mil."

Fran knew this was in the works in some form.

This.

Add to that any program beating down the door to get Fran is likely in dumpster fire mode because they just fired their existing coach, and why would Fran leave Iowa for that?

You rubes think a contract extension just popped out of nowhere and Fran hadn't talked about it already behind the scenes? Like Farta just woke up one morning and on his daily run to wash Mary's car and walk Kirk's shih tzu he just decided, "Hey, I like Fran. I think I'm going to give that guy 4 more years and $15 mil."

Fran knew this was in the works in some form.
absolutely, if you are more than a casual Iowa hoops fan, YOU knew it was coming. I knew Fran's deal ran until 24 and I know that almost no coach in the P5 is rolling around with a deal shorter than a recruiting cycle. Iowa was going to do this NO MATTER WHAT. I expected it to be announced earlier, but I am fine with waiting until after he got Iowa to one of it's highest seeds in school history.

Here's the thing about this post. I can read everything you say in here and think "I understand why he thinks that". But by the time you get to the end of the post, every single thing in it is worded with the most negative slant possible. For instance, when you throw in "took him until his 11th year to have his best season". How is that relevant unless you are trying to make it sound as negative as possible? What if Fran gets us a 1 seed in four years? Will you say "took him until his 15th season to have his best year"? It makes no sense. This was the best regular season in 35 years and tied for our highest seed ever. Does it matter that it's in his 11th year?
Yes, in some metrics I would say yes. In his entire 35 year career, he has never made it past the first weekend. Thus, I don't trust this stock's long term potential in this tournament. Even with Fran's best team......who lost to Indiana twice and Minny in 40 seconds. It has been a rollercoster at times.....although the trajectory is certain higher than the Lick years. I think this tournament will define just how far that trajectory can go in the most favorable conditions yet for Fran in his coaching career.

Let me be further clear....I think he is yearly pay should go up, but extending his contract out feel putting the cart before the horse. I would buy low on stock in his contract years....at the moment. Get back with me when the season ends.
Odds are way in favor of Fran being more expensive when the tournaments over and the dance is where deals are done. You're wrong, I do appreciate the discussion tho.

Yes, in some metrics I would say yes. In his entire 35 year career, he has never made it past the first weekend. Thus, I don't trust this stock's long term potential in this tournament. Even with Fran's best team......who lost to Indiana twice and Minny in 40 seconds. It has been a rollercoster at times.....although the trajectory is certain higher than the Lick years. I think this tournament will define just how far that trajectory can go in the most favorable conditions yet for Fran in his coaching career.

It's a one off game and in basketball, depending on the day, anyone can get upset. Izzo's lost in RD1 as a 2 seed. Anyone can lose a basketball game. I am more looking at Fran's regular seasons. It's probably hard to fathom but the last 8 years under Fran have been very enjoyable and a good stretch when you look at Iowa from afar as a program. We're back to being relevant and going to the NCAA at a clip like old school Iowa fans took for granted back in the 90's.

Sign me up for more of that please.

If Fran was stock, Iowa is doing exactly what you're suggesting, buying low.

This is laughable. If Fran was a stock, he'd probably be more like Exxon. Fairly valued, won't go to 0, won't go to 1000, will pay a steady dividend and its day to day valuation is based completely on a factor outside the company's control (oil prices in XOM's case and the ability to find another once in a lifetime recruit like Garza). There are no other credible buyers for Fran. He's 61. Even if he won the natty, no program with the means to hire him would hire him. None. There are maybe 30 programs that can cut huge checks but every one of those programs wants to either steal someone with a long term track record from another blue blood or near blue blood (like when UNC took Roy Williams and KU took Bill Self) or hire the next up and coming guy like Shaka.

This is laughable. If Fran was a stock, he'd probably be more like Exxon. Fairly valued, won't go to 0, won't go to 1000, will pay a steady dividend and its day to day valuation is based completely on a factor outside the company's control (oil prices in XOM's case and the ability to find another once in a lifetime recruit like Garza). There are no other credible buyers for Fran. He's 61. Even if he won the natty, no program with the means to hire him would hire him. None. There are maybe 30 programs that can cut huge checks but every one of those programs wants to either steal someone with a long term track record from another blue blood or near blue blood (like when UNC took Roy Williams and KU took Bill Self) or hire the next up and coming guy like Shaka.

And that's how Iowa has handled him. Until 4 days ago he wasn't even in the top 10 pay scale for B1G coaches. Ohio State went after Greg McDermott. He's never been past the 1st round. Ya don't think Pitt would want him? You don't think Notre Dame would want him? I disagree, but that's ok. You guys think Fran is very replaceable but Iowa history sings a completely different story and I have that on my side and it's the part you guys keep ignoring.

Relevant to what?
Talked about by national sports guys. Games on CBS
Fran spent a good portion of his career at schools that were lucky as hell to even make the tournament. And as long as we win tomorrow, the absolute worst think that can happen is we lose a 60/40 game. That happens all the time in basketball. If you're an AD and base your decisions on one 60/40 game instead of an entire season, you're not very smart.

Fran spent a good portion of his career at schools that were lucky as hell to even make the tournament. And as long as we win tomorrow, the absolute worst think that can happen is we lose a 60/40 game. That happens all the time in basketball. If you're an AD and base your decisions on one 60/40 game instead of an entire season, you're not very smart.
I would like to get a job working for 56 cause something tells me I can get a lot more money than I am worth.

It only matters that he got us there again and along the road has shown he can have long term sustained success. If you are Iowa, you in no way want to start this over. Again, look from 1999 to 2011 - you make the wrong hire, things don't always work for Iowa. Ya can't just plug ANYONE in there, or that would have been the case with the previous guys before Fran.

Fran is good Iowa, Iowa is good for Fran. Let's make sure he knows he's wanted here. I am for that. What is wrong with that? Iowa didn't break the bank here (even though terms haven't really been discussed, I feel confident in that)

You don't think that they'd want some of what Fran can give them? I think you're wrong, especially on the east coast where he's a bigger name and now is recruiting much better. I just think someone who says there is no interests really just has no idea what they are talking about. Fran is connected in the coaching world and very respected. I can't help you if you are clueless and don't know that.
I think they may like him, but Fran is going nowhere...he is not leaving for a lateral job and he does not have a strong enough resume for blue chip program to take him......yet.

Odds are way in favor of Fran being more expensive when the tournaments over and the dance is where deals are done. You're wrong, I do appreciate the discussion tho.
I do too......but I would be willing to pay more for Fran later and he earns it....then give him more years than he deserves and he crashes and burns.

I do think some years (up 2) needs to be put on the contract if you are going to stick with Fran (which absolutely is the case) for recruiting purposes if they went out in first weekend. Beyond that, I would probably give 3 years for the Sweet 16, 4 years for Elite 8, and may consider 5 to 6 for the Final 4 or greater.

It's a one off game and in basketball, depending on the day, anyone can get upset. Izzo's lost in RD1 as a 2 seed. Anyone can lose a basketball game. I am more looking at Fran's regular seasons. It's probably hard to fathom but the last 8 years under Fran have been very enjoyable and a good stretch when you look at Iowa from afar as a program. We're back to being relevant and going to the NCAA at a clip like old school Iowa fans took for granted back in the 90's.

Sign me up for more of that please.
I agree we are in a much better spot. But, it does seem like we do overpay for our coaches at Iowa (football, basketball) if you are going by major accomplishments. Competitive wise and stability wise...maybe we are paying for that and the fear of the unknown more so than a lot of top end success.

Sure one off games happen and upsets happen. But, again, in year 11 (and 35 years overall) if Fran can get beat a 15 seed with his best team ever....with the player of the year....when is it ever going to happen with him?

I'm sure as shit as an AD not giving Fran 4 more years losing to 15 seed with his best team. At most 2 years for recruiting purposes and making the tournament (my threshold) 3 out of every 4 years.....which he has accomplished.

I will pay top dollar for top end results.