Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

I have no problem with Fran getting an extension. In his tenure his winning percentage is .58%. In the context of the B1G he is at .500. In the last 10 seasons Iowa has had 1 sub .500 season. He took on major problems created by the two previous coaches. He has had only 2 losing seasons in his 11 years. I believe he is a good recruiter, has a system that is fun to watch and doesn't take short cuts like Kansas, Arizona, LSU, Oklahoma St, etc. . I'm older than most of you and the college basketball of my youth is much different than today's college basketball.

The use of a shot clock, the three point line, the distance of the 3 point line, dunking permitted, goal tending not permitted, scholarship limits, and some I have forgotten have been added to the rules that were not part of the rules. The way games are officiated has evolved with with more physical contact permitted and only egregious palming the ball called. If players were permitted 3 fouls to begin the game and only given an additional foul after sitting for 10 clock time minutes it would take the dependence on physical play to win out of the game. I only bring this up because judging today's coaches against previous coaches is fraught with the lack of context.
To say that the game has changed for the worse, with the new officiating concepts, is a classic example of understatement.

So, Luka has had a solid year at Iowa as a sophomore, and has been the national player of the year as a junior and a senior, a first team all American, twice, as well as first team in the best conference in the nation for two years, and was btw, cheated out of a BT tourney and a ncaa high seed in his junior year by the Trump virus. He has had his jersey retired after breaking countless records at Iowa and nationally. So, in his infinite wisdom, Fry, you have decided, on the basis of one game at the end of a long season, the IL center, Cockburn, “owned” Luka and you implied that as a freshman, with one up and down season, is better than Luka. You may want to retire.
You used quotes on the word owned which imply I said that. I never said that.

I also never implied nor said that Cockburn was better. Your drama queen level is off the charts in this post.

Garza is a great player and in my opinion the greatest Hawkeye to step on the floor, but he was physically dominated by a bigger, stronger, and faster player. If you can’t see that I don’t know what game you watched.

What I did was state that guys of Cockburn’s physicality would be the type Garza would see on a nightly basis in the NBA, only they’d be more skilled yet. Domination and success in NCAA don’t always equal NBA material. There are a great plenty examples.

And btw, in fairness to everyone else who’s been warned not to go there, you should edit your trump virus stuff out of your post or you can hit the bricks. I have absolutely no problem with digs at me which you already know, but that stuff is zero tolerance. You enjoy it way too much here to get booted and I’d miss arguing with you, but fair is fair and that’s the way it’s got to be. Your choice.

Last edited:
You used quotes on the word owned which imply I said that. I never said that.

I also never implied nor said that Cockburn was better. Your drama queen level is off the charts in this post.

Garza is a great player and in my opinion the greatest Hawkeye to step on the floor, but he was physically dominated by a bigger, stronger, and faster player. If you can’t see that I don’t know what game you watched.

What I did was state that guys of Cockburn’s physicality would be the type Garza would see on a nightly basis in the NBA, only they’d be more skilled yet. Domination and success in NCAA don’t always equal NBA material. There are a great plenty examples.

And btw, in fairness to everyone else who’s been warned not to go there, you should edit your trump virus stuff out of your post or you can hit the bricks. I have zero problem with digs at me which you already know, but that stuff is zero tolerance. You enjoy it way too much here to get booted and I’d miss arguing with you, but fair is fair and that’s the way it’s got to be. Your choice.
Drama queen? Really? Wow. I will repeat. You implied, if not stated, that Cockburn dominated Luka in ONE game then proceeded to argue that a freshman, who was up and down all season, is clearly a better product for the NBA. Did I get that wrong? As my grandpa used to say, “one snowflake don’t make a blizzard.” How did the youngster match up in the first game vs Luka? I honestly don’t recall, but I will bet you do. You may want to think about your premature prediction? If I indeed misunderstand your view, then good; we wont have to argue further.

As to the Trump virus comment, I was simply making fun of the previous “China virus” claims and meant no more than a humorous dig. Of course, I will be more careful with my sense of humor/irony. You are absolutely right that politics should be off limits, unless we want to use a different thread.

Iowa has finished the last 3 football seasons ranked 25th, 15th and 16th, that's always going to be considered a good season at Iowa. 30 years ago, 30 years from now, top 25 is an excellent season. If this isn't good enough for you, maybe give football a break for a while.
That might now be bad advice as I am suffering from Kirk fatigue I think.

To beat this thing to death further...did you notice what the "departure penalty" was for TJ Otzelberger at UNLV? Reported to be between $3-$4.5M. That's more than Fran's.(approx double based on what's known at this time). Still think Barta's move "locked him up"?

Last edited:
I have no problem with Fran getting an extension. In his tenure his winning percentage is .58%. In the context of the B1G he is at .500. In the last 10 seasons Iowa has had 1 sub .500 season. He took on major problems created by the two previous coaches. He has had only 2 losing seasons in his 11 years. I believe he is a good recruiter, has a system that is fun to watch and doesn't take short cuts like Kansas, Arizona, LSU, Oklahoma St, etc. . I'm older than most of you and the college basketball of my youth is much different than today's college basketball.

The use of a shot clock, the three point line, the distance of the 3 point line, dunking permitted, goal tending not permitted, scholarship limits, and some I have forgotten have been added to the rules that were not part of the rules. The way games are officiated has evolved with with more physical contact permitted and only egregious palming the ball called. If players were permitted 3 fouls to begin the game and only given an additional foul after sitting for 10 clock time minutes it would take the dependence on physical play to win out of the game. I only bring this up because judging today's coaches against previous coaches is fraught with the lack of context.
As far as rule changes, I'd like to see the rule that the ABA used about fouls. A player couldn't foul out. But, when his number of fouls exceeded the "normal" foul out number (in the ABA, it was 6 fouls) then the player got his free throws with no one on the lane and then the player's team got possession. It allowed the stars to "play through" foul trouble but definitely made it a penalty to have the player on the court after what would normally be a foul-out situation. I watched one ABA game where one team scored 13 points before the other team got a possession.

To beat this thing to death further...did you notice what the "departure penalty" was for TJ Otzelberger at UNLV? Reported to be between $3-$4.5M. That's more than Fran's.(approx double based on what's known at this time). Still think Barta's move "locked him up"?
Depends upon the buyout clause. TJ obviously had a buyout clause reported to be between $3-$4.5M. It's easy enough to find out what his salary is... this past year was $1.2M. Over the next three years, what his 5-year deal was, he would have made $1.3M next year, $1.4M the following year and $1.5M the final year. That would be $4.2M over the next three years, but that's not necessarily his buyout amount. Prohm had a $4.5M buyout for the end of this season. Previous to this extension, Fran had a $4.6M buyout at the end of this season; his buyout is now $10.2M.

Yes, I'd say that the deal "locked him up" as it would be the other university or Fran that would come up with the buyout money.

As far as rule changes, I'd like to see the rule that the ABA used about fouls. A player couldn't foul out. But, when his number of fouls exceeded the "normal" foul out number (in the ABA, it was 6 fouls) then the player got his free throws with no one on the lane and then the player's team got possession. It allowed the stars to "play through" foul trouble but definitely made it a penalty to have the player on the court after what would normally be a foul-out situation. I watched one ABA game where one team scored 13 points before the other team got a possession.
I would be for that rule change. That would be very interesting.

Depends upon the buyout clause. TJ obviously had a buyout clause reported to be between $3-$4.5M. It's easy enough to find out what his salary is... this past year was $1.2M. Over the next three years, what his 5-year deal was, he would have made $1.3M next year, $1.4M the following year and $1.5M the final year. That would be $4.2M over the next three years, but that's not necessarily his buyout amount. Prohm had a $4.5M buyout for the end of this season. Previous to this extension, Fran had a $4.6M buyout at the end of this season; his buyout is now $10.2M.

Yes, I'd say that the deal "locked him up" as it would be the other university or Fran that would come up with the buyout money.

You're confusing buyout (meaning what he gets paid if fired without cause) vs the penalty he must pay the University if he leaves early.

TJ has to pay around $4M to UNLV if he leaves early. Fran's number at the last published contract extension was $2M to begin, reduced by $250,000 annually. Much less.

So if Fran decides he wants to bail for another job, the financial roadblock for him is relatively small. (as opposed to Hoiberg's for example which is $10M or even TJs which is roughly double Fran's). Unless that part in the contract extension was changed significantly he's not tied down financially. A school that really wanted him could cover that relatively small "early departure" penalty.

Last edited:
Looks like Drake made the same mistake of extending his coach before he plays in a single elimination tournament.
Because they'll never have a better time to leverage their coach lose or win the game in the NCAA tournament. The dudes who think it was a bad idea truly doesn't understand how job negotiations work. Again, the notion that Gary Barta is bad at contracts is false. Pretty much everyone he's signed outside of Lick has been heavily leaned towards Iowa getting the better end of the deal and I'll fight that battle till there's nothing left to discuss.

Last edited:
I would say the Drake coach is a different situation altogether. Relative to expectations, Devries is well over-exceeding expectations at that doorstop in only his 3rd year. Devries could absolutely be a flight risk and use Drake as a stepping stone. That raise makes sense.

Fran is a much more known commodity. The program has been competitive, but at the same time up and down and inconsistent.

Fran is in year 11, at a very low risk of going anywhere, has his best team ever assembled (took him to year 11), but also has a poor track record in tournaments outside of an outstanding NIT run. To open up the treasure chest now and if they flame out is going to leave more egg on Barta's face.

Even if they do make a solid run, it is still a stupid decision by Barta to extend this contract before the season is over.

Fran did a commendable job rebuilding the program. But, where we sit now, he is replaceable. I admit his stock will go up if they make an Elite 8 run or better......and his value will be higher at Iowa and potentially other places. But, let the process play out before opening up the money vault.

And for those who say he got us a 2 seed!!!!!.....awesome but you still have to do something with it.

If Fran was a stock, I still wouldn't trust it. Based on track record, invest lower and see what it does.

Last edited:
Okay so anytime a team happens to reach a top 5 ranking they should just immediately extend their coach without taking anything else into consideration?

Look, we clearly disagree, so it's probably silly for us to continue arguing, and I like you as a poster, so let's just agree to disagree.
I know for a fact that other coaches use a short term left on a coaches contract as a lever to try and steer recruits away from a program. "Well Johnny, you know Fran only has three years left on his contract at Iowa. He may not even be there for your entire career. Are you sure you would rather come to long term state where I have a contract that goes on long enough to coach your kids when they are ready for collage?"

I know for a fact that other coaches use a short term left on a coaches contract as a lever to try and steer recruits away from a program. "Well Johnny, you know Fran only has three years left on his contract at Iowa. He may not even be there for your entire career. Are you sure you would rather come to long term state where I have a contract that goes on long enough to coach your kids when they are ready for collage?"
Which is why Barta could have still done this deal at the conclusion of the season. Recruits are not going to run away from Iowa right now...a 2 seed with a coach who is in a good spot. It could be done relatively quickly....with say a 2 year extension and more monetary incentives for performance.....which I think would be much more reasonable compared to a 4 year deal and say they flame out before the first weekend is over. Hedge your bet. If they over-perform, Elite 8 or better, then put out that 4 to even 6 year deal.

Last edited:
I would say the Drake coach is a different situation altogether. Relative to expectations, Devries is well over-exceeding expectations at that doorstop in only his 3rd year. Devries could absolutely be a flight risk and use Drake as a stepping stone. That raise makes sense.

Fran is a much more known commodity. The program has been competitive, but at the same time up and down and inconsistent.

Fran is in year 11, at a very low risk of going anywhere, has his best team ever assembled (took him to year 11), but also has a poor track record in tournaments outside of an outstanding NIT run. To open up the treasure chest now and if they flame out is going to leave more egg on Barta's face.

Even if they do make a solid run, it is still a stupid decision by Barta to extend this contract before the season is over.

Fran did a commendable job rebuilding the program. But, where we sit now, he is replaceable. I admit his stock will go up if they make an Elite 8 run or better......and his value will be higher at Iowa and potentially other places. But, let the process play out before opening up the money vault.

And for those who say he got us a 2 seed!!!!!.....awesome but you still have to do something with it.

If Fran was a stock, I still wouldn't trust it. Based on track record, invest lower and see what it does.
LOL, Iowa didn't open the check book, I feel pretty positive of that. Especially in the current Covid environment and the school hemorrhaging money and having to take out loans to stay afloat. They made sure Fran knew he was wanted here. He didn't suddenly go from 11th highest paid coach in the B1G to in the top 5, which is where he typically has Iowa every season. I am sure it's more in line with what he should be getting. Iowa has been getting a Fran for a song for a long while. If Fran was stock, Iowa is doing exactly what you're suggesting, buying low.

People don't understand how it works, it's funny to me, but I get everyone's at a different level of concepts.

Here's the thing about this post. I can read everything you say in here and think "I understand why he thinks that". But by the time you get to the end of the post, every single thing in it is worded with the most negative slant possible. For instance, when you throw in "took him until his 11th year to have his best season". How is that relevant unless you are trying to make it sound as negative as possible? What if Fran gets us a 1 seed in four years? Will you say "took him until his 15th season to have his best year"? It makes no sense. This was the best regular season in 35 years and tied for our highest seed ever. Does it matter that it's in his 11th year?

Latest posts