Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

This right here is the ceiling under Fran. We know that now. This team... A 2 seed.. Getting trounced in yet another 2nd round game.

I guess if that's what we're happy with, then extend away.

Altman outcoached Fran. Every B1G knows how to out coach Fran.

But, he is our Fran. And for the rest of his life it looks like.

I hate to say I was right, but saw this coming in the aftermath of not making the Sweet 16. Though I thought Iowa would be more competitive than this.

Sad.

This thread has been hanging out there like a slow curve ball...just waiting for today. Too easy.

It's hanging and the pitch right before it missed in the same spot but got fouled off because the batter swung on it just a millisecond too early because it was so slow. Then, the identical pitch came. It's going to get parked worse than that slider Lidge threw to Pujols that didn't move.

Oh, Gar-Bar ... Wonder if he suffers such prematurity in all aspects of his life?
Maybe he's just lazy and doesn't want the aggravation of actually doing his job with a little prudent business acumen.

I have the same opinion I had before the game. That one game would mean nothing to me on whether or not I think he deserves an extension. People say this is his ceiling and we can't beat a team full of athletes, but we beat teams full of athletes all the time and the regular season is about as high of a ceiling as you can get so the only ceiling that isn't good enough is the one in a tournament where you have to win a random game. I have a hard time saying it's impossible for Fran to win one random game. Hell, Davis never made it out of the round of 32 with his own recruits until his last year. I would assume people all thought it was his ceiling too. It wasn't because he finally won one random game.

The Garza thing is the only reason we even are talking about this. Take away his 25 or whatever points a game and replace them with a normal 12-15 pts a game and we aren't even talking about the NIT.

You're looking at this in the wrong way...you have a chicken/egg problem. You want long-term success in a sport that is 90% driven by recruiting. We do not get top recruits here and we aren't ever going to. until freshman and sophomores leaving early for the NBA stop being a thing in college basketball, Iowa is going to stay where we are. Top half of the B1G most years and an occasional tournament.

Finding Luka Garza was like Fran winning the lottery in 8 states on the same day and being struck by lightning a dozen times. And all of a sudden with one good year you guys are expecting a new level of play coming from Iowa when none of the recruiting constraints has changed. And to be honest they won't change after Garza either. He's a likely G-League first, Euro second guy and those don't win you top recruits. Cockburn was the size of the guys he'd play every single day in the NBA only way better, and Garza got totally manhandled.

Bottom line, until Iowa doesn't have to take the leftovers from the recruiting table after the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, and Gonzagas of the world are finished, we ain't going anywhere.

And it sure as hell isn't Fran's fault.
Total agree with everything you said except the last sentence. Yes, Iowa has not ever been a blue blood school, but the best players in the nation would go to coldest regions of hell to play for a great coach. Fran is a good offensive minded coach but couldn’t teach defense or recruit highly defensive players to save his own life.

Yes he beats the hell out of Lickliter, but my dead grandma could beat the hell out of Lickliter. Now does that special coach exits that could come to Iowa and recruit the blue blood, well we will never know because winning at that kind of level is not in the blood stream of the powers that be at Iowa.

Lack of recruiting and coaching defense is Fran’s fault.

Looking ahead next year is going to be UGLY. Lack of team speed all the way around. Hell Fran was desperately putting in his quickest players in the second half against Oregon and we still looked like we wearing cement shoes.

Bottom third of the conference finish next year, if lucky not last place. Seriously, who will we finish above? Some of our best reserves are injury prone. Take out Nudge and CJ with injuries and this could get as ugly as it gets. We will need them both in good health just to finish in tenth place, especially if Weezy moves on. If Weezy comes back and those other two stay healthy then maybe we finish in lower middle of the conference or ninth place at best. Someone like Perkins would have to absolutely blow up for that to change.

Lack of effing defense, I said it on here a few games before the end of the regular season and I will stand by it. It is and has been killing this program. You have to play both ends of the floor especially in the tournament, or your team is going to be sitting their ass at home watching the tournament from their couch.