Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

Attention naysayers. Roy Williams retired (not April Fools joke). I am glad that we put a fence around Fran with this extension because I've heard rumors that UNC was looking for a replacement among coaches of teams that beat UNC this past season and a little bird mentioned that Fran would be on that list but the extension scared UNC off. Three cheers for Barta.

If Fran makes the tournament the next 2 years, it will be 8 out of 13 and 8 out of the last 11. Compared to 9 out of 13 and 7 out of the last 11. Davis under achieved with with team full of NBA guys. They were so good that their under achieving was still good enough to make the Elite 8 and sweet 16. Any slightly above average coach in the nation would equal that mark.
There was Chris Street, Ray Thomson issue, Bullard/Ingram knees etc. Some underachievement but also some seasons lost by losing some key people. We would have done better at times with the full squad and I didn't put that on Mr. Davis.

Also think after Ravelings guys early the NBA guys were not there and not teams even close to full of NBA guys. The James Winters, Jess Settles, Chris Kingsbury's, Russ Millards etc are good players but not gonna say you can't compare Fran and Mr. Davis because of an overall unfair talent edge.

You can just watch the teams play and tell Fran isn't quite as good a coach. Better passing, more discipline, better team defense, better plays and shot selection, better/quicker adjustments and matching up. Frans teams not as smart or disciplined and more up and down. Mr. Davis's teams could run up and down and tire some teams out while a few of Frans' teams ran out of gas and faded physically late in the year. Even some worse athletes than Fran had at times but they had more wind in them.