Iowa Basketball: The Cold Reality

Well....it looks like the house is burned to the ground. No need for the fire department. Lets just see if we can find someone to rebuild this place. It would take time and more importantly patience. Is our fan base capable? Just wondering.

It all depends on Barta. If he makes good choices and sells some hope, CHA will fill up. Iowans are itching for a successful basketball team.

Barta should talk to whoever ran Obama's campaign. Hope and Change should be his new motto.

WOW! Talk about having some passion Jon Boy! I was getting chills when you were going back in your memeory of your younger years. I would make my own stat sheets and lay down in front of the TV with Mom and Dad and do my thing. I was raised in the former 515 now the 641 area and Hawkeye basketball was special. My mother got us tickets for our family of 6 when the Twin Towers were playing ball at Iowa, I believe they were playing Colorado and I'm sure I have a picture of myslef next to that sweet a!! floor. In my later years I remember going to Hawkeye football games, going into Carver just to go there only to see Millard and Settles walking across the floor, talk about players being larger than life. The black and gold blow outs were also fun to go to, I haven't been to one in years but I'm sure Lick has them running lay up drills and the old four corners offense. I think a good majority of Hawkeye fans out there share Jon's perspective on all of this and I only hope Barta hears us roaring and makes a change.

Ditto- I'm 41 and remember putting together stat sheet for EVERY game. I kept track of Pts and Rebounds. 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grade as soon as schedule was release I would prepare for the season.:D

From rumors I have heard that is why Lil Lick is transferring...

Why? Lil' Lick is transferring because he didn't like Jon's broadcast this morning?! I would be completely surprised if Lick was fired. No way do I see it happening this year. This is Barta's guy, they are just now breaking ground on the practice facility that he promised Lick, and they risk more transfers and losing the incoming recruits by firing him now. I wouldn't mind if he was fired this year, I just don't think there is any chance that it will happen. However if Fuller or anyone else transfers as soon as the season is over, then Barta better make the change asap.

they risk more transfers and losing the incoming recruits by firing him now.

That is a poor reason to hang on to a coach who is not getting it done. No matter which year you make a coaching change, there is always that next class, and there are always current players that may or may not leave. And just maybe if we make a good hire, the players on the team would be excited and want to stick around.

Besides, hasn't history shown that we risk losing players by KEEPING Lickliter?

WOW! Talk about having some passion Jon Boy! I was getting chills when you were going back in your memeory of your younger years. I would make my own stat sheets and lay down in front of the TV with Mom and Dad and do my thing. I was raised in the former 515 now the 641 area and Hawkeye basketball was special. My mother got us tickets for our family of 6 when the Twin Towers were playing ball at Iowa, I believe they were playing Colorado and I'm sure I have a picture of myslef next to that sweet a!! floor. In my later years I remember going to Hawkeye football games, going into Carver just to go there only to see Millard and Settles walking across the floor, talk about players being larger than life. The black and gold blow outs were also fun to go to, I haven't been to one in years but I'm sure Lick has them running lay up drills and the old four corners offense. I think a good majority of Hawkeye fans out there share Jon's perspective on all of this and I only hope Barta hears us roaring and makes a change.

I've been one of the staunchest supporters of Lick, but after hearing all this, and the way the season ended, it's starting to fade. I still have the tiniest glimmer of hope for next year, but if Fuller transfers (or any other core player), then I'm done hoping.

I don't share that same passion for Iowa basketball as Jon does, because I didn't grow up on Lute, Lester, Settles, etc. Chris Street will always be my favorite Hawkeye (though I never got to see him play, as was only about 3 when he died) because he was a family friend, but other than that, I'm pretty detached from the good ol' days of Hawkeye basketball. I know the feeling that Jon has, as I have that passion for Iowa football. I actually didn't watch much of the 2002 season (my 7th grade year). The first game I saw was the Minnesota game. I know I really missed out, and I decided I never wanted to miss something that special again. Since the 2002 Northwestern game (the game before Minny that year), I have missed just ONE Iowa football game (Syracuse 2007). I had a date with a girl that I really liked, and we went to a movie. To my credit, I did try to listen to the game on a walkman radio in the theater (I couldn't get reception though). But that's it. I've either watched on TV, listened to on the radio, or been in attendance for all but one game in the last seven years. It got rough for awhile, but I don't regret a minute of it. Not one second was wasted. I really hope I can feel that kind of passion for the basketball program someday.

Why? Lil' Lick is transferring because he didn't like Jon's broadcast this morning?! I would be completely surprised if Lick was fired. No way do I see it happening this year. This is Barta's guy, they are just now breaking ground on the practice facility that he promised Lick, and they risk more transfers and losing the incoming recruits by firing him now. I wouldn't mind if he was fired this year, I just don't think there is any chance that it will happen. However if Fuller or anyone else transfers as soon as the season is over, then Barta better make the change asap.

Transfer Bug Resurfaces for Iowa Basketball - Black Heart Gold Pants :rolleyes:

I'm 39 and I remember every name and instance Jon mentioned (except the mile markers). I remember filling out my first NCAA bracket in the 4th grade.
what we are witnessing is not Iowa Basketball. It seems everyone over the age of 30 gets it. Why cant Barta? I never questioned Barta's job performance until the middle of this year. Listening to his unwavering support of TL was/is a huge red flag for me.
Great show, Jon.

Jon, this mornings show was by far your best, being 42 yo I too can emerse myself in the memories of a Hawkeye day gone by, and only dream of returning to the glory days of the late 70's and 80's. Back in the day, we used to tape the games and replay them the next day, study the movements of the players and the intelligence with which they played the game. I love Iowa Basketball, but this that we are subjected to now, is not Hawkeye basketball, it's players in Hawkeye Jerseys poorly imitating Iowa Basketball and that frustrates and saddens me greatly.
As you put it in your show in this we are the same, We scheduled events around Iowa Basketball games. Never missed a game (except 1 Great Grandfathers funeral I was 14). Each game was a holiday atmosphere at our house, so many family bonding moments. These are the things I have missed the last 4 years or so. Todd is probably a super nice guy, but nice guys finish 9th in the big ten. We need a change a more energetic style would bring the people back, even if the wins don't come right away, giving the fans some hope is huge toward rebuilding a lackluster team.
Great job, Jon keep fighting for people like us, whose voices aren't heard, only the words we type are read.

Good show today, Jon.

My introduction to Iowa basketball was the 1969-70 team. I attended several of those games with my dad and brother. The games I didn't see I would listen to on the radio with Ron Gonder doing the play-by-play.

Watching the Hawks on TV during the Lute thru Mr. Davis years was a big deal. Rarely missed a game. Lived and died by Hawkeye wins and losses. Come NCAA tournament time, there was always the excitement of filling out my bracket and speculating with family, friends and co-workers about how far Iowa would go.

Now.....the passion and excitement are gone. Slowly drained by Alford and finally killed by Lickliter. I attend a few games each year (mostly to spend time with my son in our love for Iowa athletics) but I've watched maybe half of Iowa's games this season on TV and only a couple all the way thru. I just don't care anymore.

Even my mom...who just loved Iowa BB games and watched them all on TV...has seen very few games this season and probably can't name more than 2 or 3 of the players. She doesn't care either.

It is sad. Deace made a good point about striking while the iron is hot. But Barta won't. Even if there were massive transfers again I believe the only way Lick won't be coaching at Iowa next season is if he steps down or goes elsewhere....neither of which will happen.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job but.....the Iowa BB program is a mess and I just don't see a bright future ahead.

I haven't been able to listen yet, but I am appreciative that Jon Miller is at least speaking out regarding the train wreck that is Hawkeye basketball.

Jon - this is why you far surpass the administrators of a "rival" (pun intended) Iowa fan site. One of their administrators (the editor of VOTH) has taken to blaming the fans for the current status of Hawkeye basketball, while the other admin positions declares himself above the fray, looking down on anyone who dare express frustration about the current condition of the Hawk basketball program.

That is a poor reason to hang on to a coach who is not getting it done. No matter which year you make a coaching change, there is always that next class, and there are always current players that may or may not leave. And just maybe if we make a good hire, the players on the team would be excited and want to stick around.

Besides, hasn't history shown that we risk losing players by KEEPING Lickliter?
I agree, keeping a coach around because the recruits might leave isn't a good enough reason to keep the coahc. I had leaned that way earlier in the year but I just can't see Lick on the sidelines next year. I believe the recruits are seeing what is going on and are scared because they are coming into a tough situation. If Lick is fired and they still come everyone starts with a clean slate both on and off the floor.

If Lick is let go, there is a ton of pressure on Barta to make a splash. Who out there can make a splash and unite the Hawkeye faithful? Bruce Pearl. After hearing how much money our Athletic Dept has I say give him a blank check. :)

Jon
My first real memory of Iowa basketball was back in 1970. My dad was a huge hawk fan as he graduated in 1959. My first year of college in 1979 I remember sitting in my dorm room in Blair, NE and putting up the rabbit ears to pull in Sioux City stations to get all the games. I mean sitting holding the ears or putting hangers on them. I then tried to watch every game..I coached basketball for the last 25 years and would make sure I set my VCR and would stay up till one in the morning watching the games. Then I graduated to DVR's and I watched every game. I took coaches tickets from Davis, Alford and crew and tried to get to practices and games anytime I could. I have been very vocal and saying the same things enough is enough. Time for us to move on...GREAT BROADCAST

Ditto- I'm 41 and remember putting together stat sheet for EVERY game. I kept track of Pts and Rebounds. 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grade as soon as schedule was release I would prepare for the season.:D

This is classic, I put the stat sheets together too. Thanks for the podcast Jon, very well done and I agree 100%.

I was raised in the former 515 now the 641 area and Hawkeye basketball was special.

blkngoldUofI--where did you grow up? That area code is my old stomping ground also.

I am nearly 40. Remember Schram Schurman and Bob "Oh My!" Hogue doing the Hawkeye games. Would love to have our boys have the same love for Iowa BB, but we have only watched a handful of games over the last 5 years. We are hoping that things will get turned around, whatever change that needs to be made.

I'm going to apply a standard that I haven't seen, but may well have used by someone else along the way.

Would another coach (let's say any of the previous 4 Iowa coaches) have had a better record with the same group of players these last three years? For the first two years, I'd have to answer a resounding "yes." The players didn't fit the system, but the system determined how games were to be played even when adjustments could have made the teams more competitive. This year I'm not so sure, but I'll still go with a weaker affirmative on this one.

I'm going to apply a standard that I haven't seen, but may well have used by someone else along the way.

Would another coach (let's say any of the previous 4 Iowa coaches) have had a better record with the same group of players these last three years? For the first two years, I'd have to answer a resounding "yes." The players didn't fit the system, but the system determined how games were to be played even when adjustments could have made the teams more competitive. This year I'm not so sure, but I'll still go with a weaker affirmative on this one.

Difficult to answer. Would Todd have had more success this year with Kelly, Peterson, Palmer and Davis on the team? I think yes...a lot more in fact. I don't think I'd be where I am right now were those guy still around.

My earliest memories are of the Raveling years - Stokes, Payne, Banks, Carfino, etc. But it was the 1986-87 team that really fueled my passion for Hawkeye hoops. I grew up watching BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Ed Horton and Jeff Moe. Those guys were the face of Iowa Basketball for me.

My church had a youth basketball team that I was on, and I chose #23 for my number. Not because of Michael Jordan, but because it was Roy Marble's number. Iowa Basketball players were my boyhood idols.

Difficult to answer. Would Todd have had more success this year with Kelly, Peterson, Palmer and Davis on the team? I think yes...a lot more in fact. I don't think I'd be where I am right now were those guy still around.
I understand that, but I'm just speculating on what a different coach would do with the players that were on the roster in each year.

I really don't want to disparage the current players; that's why I say "yes" for this year, albeit weakly. The past two years, I don't think there is any doubt that another coach could have won at least a few more games.

I'm trying to make it a situation like those races where the good drivers all get "identical" cars to see who has the best driving skills.

Latest posts