Iowa Basketball: The Cold Reality

I don't know if all of Jon's facts are true, but one thing is certain, I LOVE Iowa Basketball with a passion. What's going on now is really, really depressing. Losing an entire generation of fans is NOT good for business.

I want to clarify one thing I said today...when talking about the AAU aspects...I said that they pretty much ignored that route when they got here, and only recently began more open relationships. I never said they have never talked to AAU folks. It just took them too long.

Jon, any feedback from the east this morning?

Not yet. I expect some, and that is OK. But that is why the 45 minutes was pretty much fact, leaving little room for interpretation.

I like Todd and his crew. I dont wish ill on them. It's just not working.

I have probably received 30 emails from people that are near my age or older that feel the same way. It has been interesting following reactions around the web, too

I am going to write something soon that is along the same lines.

Did you notice how long it took Lick to come check on Cully after he went down the last game? As if he was too busy?

C'mon. I agree with the basic point of this thread but now we're ripping him because it took him a few seconds to go see Payne? If we're going to rip Lick let's at least try and be fair to him and not ridiculous like this post.

Jon: stand your ground. Fans that follow this closely know you speak the truth here.
The window is closed for lick to have any real success at Iowa,thru his own mis-manangement. I refuse to believe that we cannot do better than this for a coach.
This is not personal, strictly business...and licks business approach is not working.

Jon....very well done and as lifelong Hawkeye basketball fan, I appreciate you saying what you have.

We are similar in age, even though I have you by a few years and I think we have many of the same memories about and passion for Iowa basketball.

From my selfish perspective, I have a 9 year old son who loves everything basketball. For the last 3 years, we watch basically every NCAA tourney game during his spring break and we attend countless numbers of high school and Drake games, plus there isn't an evening that goes by when we're not watching games on ESPN. His only memory of Hawkeye basketball in the NCAA tourney is Northwestern State. He wasn't alive when we won our last NCAA tourney game and frankly, he has no interest in Iowa basketball. Matter of fact, he laughs when I turn the channel to the BTN to watch Iowa and his only comment is "I wonder how bad they'll get beat tonight".

It couldn't be more the opposite for his passion with Iowa football.

All I will say, is Iowa can do better and should do better than what they are doing now and I hope a change will happen immediately. If not, this university is in grave danger of loosing an entire generation of Hawk basketball fans. I know this because I see it up close & personal from a son who's bedroom is painted black & gold with Hawkeye bedding, signed pictures of former Hawks, bowl memorbilia & Dallas Clark jerseys scattered throughout.

He has already begun to choose other basketball teams to call "his own" and that is a sad, sad thing for a Dad who grew up counting the minutes before the next tip-off.

I think you clearly stated what much of Hawkeye Nation is feeling. Todd seems like a nice guy and we all wanted it to work out. The fact is not only has the change not worked out, it has been a disaster.

LBJ lost Walter Cronkite. Todd Lickliter lost Jon Miller!

I also have a hard time getting my son to watch Hawks bb games with me..and he is 23 years old. He loves Iowa football,but not Iowa bb. He now prefers to watch the Bulls...who are also not good,but he loves to watch Derrick Rose..I do also...and that is the problem...kids especially love to see athletic players do magical things...things they themselves are not capable of...Iowa has zero star quality,and with Lick at the helm, probably never will, cept for the occasional solid athlete like May,who my son does like. But May is the exception in Iowa HS,and the other ones at that level like Jok,Paige,Staten,and Barnes, probably will pass on lick's approach.

Great job Jon. You spoke for a lot of us here. The ones who aren't out to "get Lickliter". But the ones who remember how Iowa basketball use to be and want it to be that way again.

I remember back to when, in the 80's, my parents would take us to the black and gold scrimmage before a football and that was awesome. I didn't care about going to the football game, I cared about going to see the Hawks scrimmage. I couldn't even imagine wasting my time now to go and watch a scrimmage, I could only force myself to go to one actual game this season.

Excellent show John. Please keep after it and hopefully the "Black N' Gold Glory' will return to Iowa basketball again soon. A change in leadership is needed now, while the "iron is hot" as Deace mentioned. The fans want hope restored in Iowa City and that isn't named Lickliter.

Jon, absolutely dead, spot on!!! I haven't always agreed with your take on situations, but at age 33 I fall into about your time frame and perspective on Iowa Basketball. All of the points you brought up is exactly what a couple of co-workers and myself have been saying for weeks. I hate what is going on as well and hate talking about Iowa Basketball like this, but this cannot be ignored. I could tell from the sound of your voice that you didn't take pleasure in this mornings show, however, I like many, agree 100% with you. Great work.

i agree with you John im 36 and i too remember the days of BJ Marble Horton Gamble and the Oklahoma shot in overtime to get us to the elite 8

good show this morning and i to agree this deal needs to end with iowa basketball and lickliter

thank you for giving us fans a forum so the athletic department can hear us

Well....it looks like the house is burned to the ground. No need for the fire department. Lets just see if we can find someone to rebuild this place. It would take time and more importantly patience. Is our fan base capable? Just wondering.

WOW! Talk about having some passion Jon Boy! I was getting chills when you were going back in your memeory of your younger years. I would make my own stat sheets and lay down in front of the TV with Mom and Dad and do my thing. I was raised in the former 515 now the 641 area and Hawkeye basketball was special. My mother got us tickets for our family of 6 when the Twin Towers were playing ball at Iowa, I believe they were playing Colorado and I'm sure I have a picture of myslef next to that sweet a!! floor. In my later years I remember going to Hawkeye football games, going into Carver just to go there only to see Millard and Settles walking across the floor, talk about players being larger than life. The black and gold blow outs were also fun to go to, I haven't been to one in years but I'm sure Lick has them running lay up drills and the old four corners offense. I think a good majority of Hawkeye fans out there share Jon's perspective on all of this and I only hope Barta hears us roaring and makes a change.

Latest posts