Iowa Basketball Recruits

Jeez if he doesn't play with much effort and still manages multiple steals per game imagine what he could do with full effort.

My take on what lightning1 said was that he plays what I call "offensive defense". That is, he plays for steals and doesn't really care if he gets beat. Steals are flashy and typically lead to easy scores. Playing good defense, is much more demanding.

My take on what lightning1 said was that he plays what I call "offensive defense". That is, he plays for steals and doesn't really care if he gets beat. Steals are flashy and typically lead to easy scores. Playing good defense, is much more demanding.

I understood.

There is a reason steals are flashy. It's because they are hard. Someone that can accomplish the more difficult task should have no problem accomplishing the easier task. Learning to move your feet is something that almost anyone could accomplish. Having the innate ability to pick a dribbler's pocket is something that can rarely be taught.

Can we post gifs from other websites?
craftclutch_medium.gif

Also, I didn't realize that Craft only shot 30% from 3 his last two years and 33% on his career. Yet he quarterbacked some really darn good OSU teams by averaging 4.7 assists and 2+ steals and in spite of his 2+ TOs every game. I could see Locure being of that statistical mold.

To add to that, playing solid team defense will prevent more scores than two or three successful pocket picks a game will provide.

And he has yet to try and pick the pocket of a division one guard.

Let me get this straight. Tyreke Locure gets a lot of steals because he plays lazy defense? What are the reasons why he averaged 28pts and 7 assists a game?

Let me get this straight. Tyreke Locure gets a lot of steals because he plays lazy defense? What are the reasons why he averaged 28pts and 7 assists a game?
Based off video, I like his offensive game. He's quick without being out of control, he can penetrate, drive, dish, step back, shoot from outside. He keeps his head up and his eyes on the rim.

I've mentioned my defensive concerns about him ad nauseum. Here's another. He could be a good fit for Minnesota, where their guards pressure the ball as hard as any team in the conference and they usually have an athletic shot blocking big man to protect the rim. That system might be more tailor made for what he like to do on defense.

Doesn't Lebron James get nitpicked similarly? So yeah there's no perfect player out there yet... People are just always talking to hear themselves talk

D.J. Carton schedules first two official visits

"Carton will visit Michigan on June 27 and 28 (a Wednesday and Thursday) and then Indiana that weekend, his high school coach told the Register."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/bbmen-recruiting/2018/06/12/hawkeyes-recruiting-dj-carton-official-visits-michigan-and-indiana-iowa-ohio-state-marquette-xavier/696869002/
Well if we get last crack at him that'd be good... But he'd have to not commit someplace else prior to that would be the thing.. I can't say I have a good feeling about getting him so much anymore... Hope I'm wrong

Well if we get last crack at him that'd be good... But he'd have to not commit someplace else prior to that would be the thing.. I can't say I have a good feeling about getting him so much anymore... Hope I'm wrong
I'm not worried with him getting these visits scheduled and done first, it just makes sense. They are obviously more difficult to plan for. He can just drive 45 minutes west to get to Iowa City for a visit. This isn't to say I'm confident in Iowa's chances. They are obviously up against some serious competition.

I understood.

There is a reason steals are flashy. It's because they are hard. Someone that can accomplish the more difficult task should have no problem accomplishing the easier task. Learning to move your feet is something that almost anyone could accomplish. Having the innate ability to pick a dribbler's pocket is something that can rarely be taught.
It's much harder to play fundamentally sound defense than it is to gamble on steals.

I never said that was the reason he got a lot of steals. I said he didn't play with the kind of effort he should have, if he wanted to increase his D-1 offers, in the AAU games I saw. I then explained how a player can get a lot of steals, without being a good defender. I'm not sure if TL fits that description or not but if he always plays defense like he has this AAU season, I'm guessing he does fit that description.

It's much harder to play fundamentally sound defense than it is to gamble on steals.

I'm sorry but I disagree. It is called fundamentals after all. I can show you 100 NCAA teams each season that play damned good team D, but maybe only 10 players a year that are a threat to steal the dribble when engaged in on ball defense. Obviously 1 has to be harder than the other.

I never said that was the reason he got a lot of steals. I said he didn't play with the kind of effort he should have, if he wanted to increase his D-1 offers, in the AAU games I saw. I then explained how a player can get a lot of steals, without being a good defender. I'm not sure if TL fits that description or not but if he always plays defense like he has this AAU season, I'm guessing he does fit that description.
IDK, maybe you're confusing playing smart defense with lazy defense.

giphy.gif

Latest posts