Iowa Basketball Recruits

Not literally murder, but this is true. It's more of a reflection of how bad officiating has been.
And a smart player that's been around the league will take advantage of that. Once again, the more they move their feet, and the less they reach, the better the chance they have of getting away with the other shenanigans.

No argument there. He was doing what he was allowed to get away with. Gasser and Showalter, too. And Purdue frequently has a couple of those guys. Everytime we try to cut across the lane in our offense their hands are all over us.
Yep. Restrict movement off the ball. It's easier to get away with than on ball fouls. Craft seemed to be the exception to that rule, however. I can't recall another BIG player allowed to get away with his amount of transgressions. I don't think I ever will.

Yep. Restrict movement off the ball. It's easier to get away with than on ball fouls. Craft seemed to be the exception to that rule, however. I can't recall another BIG player allowed to get away with his amount of transgressions. I don't think I ever will.
I saw guys like Joe Hillman, Rumeal Robinson, Bruce Douglas, Damon Bailey, Mateen Cleaves, Mike Kelley. All strong and physical with strong hands. None of them got away with crap the way Aaron Craft did.

think we're in sync here, NSH. maturity and learning. kids do it at different rates. some do it early and learn easily, some don't and don't. most are in between. i think we're both saying "harness" the player, not the talent. utilize the talent.
It separates a lot of good coaches from average ones, no question about it. Gauging who has finished maturing vs who still has room to grow. Convincing a player what his role can be on the college level after he did everything but clean the popcorn machine at other levels, it's a bigger challenge today than ever before. And their entourages. Hell, some of the players might as well have LLC listed after their names.

Another note on Aaron Craft. He didn't have to play defense like a thug. He moved his feet well, seldom reached, had quick hands and good hand eye coordination. But he had to push the envelope. That chop move he did to dislodge the ball from Melsahn Basabe was both illegal and dangerous. But if he kept his quick hands in close, the official had to be in perfect position to see it.

Another note on Aaron Craft. He didn't have to play defense like a thug. He moved his feet well, seldom reached, had quick hands and good hand eye coordination. But he had to push the envelope. That chop move he did to dislodge the ball from Melsahn Basabe was both illegal and dangerous. But if he kept his quick hands in close, the official had to be in perfect position to see it.
He ALWAYS reached! And almost always got away with it. Here is the Black Heart Gold Pants compilation on Aaron Craft.
Aaron Craft Demonstrates the "New" Foul Rules in College Basketball ...

Foul5_medium.jpg

I've been convinced for years that Izzo intentionally teaches his perimeter players to constantly hand-check and reach, knowing that the risk/reward benefit is worth it: For every foul that is called, there are probably 20 other plays where that kind of approach led to a game advantage. Over the course of a complete game, the balance is in the favor of the team.

A similar analogy would be the defensive backs under Pete Carroll. I'm convinced they are taught to grab and molest receivers regardless of what the refs do, knowing that, overall, it led to an advantage over time.

The other nuance to this is that the refs are human - psychologically, they will adapt and begin to become numb to what's going on. It becomes the "norm" for that game.

I've been convinced for years that Izzo intentionally teaches his perimeter players to constantly hand-check and reach, knowing that the risk/reward benefit is worth it: For every foul that is called, there are probably 20 other plays where that kind of approach led to a game advantage. Over the course of a complete game, the balance is in the favor of the team.

A similar analogy would be the defensive backs under Pete Carroll. I'm convinced they are taught to grab and molest receivers regardless of what the refs do, knowing that, overall, it led to an advantage over time.

The other nuance to this is that the refs are human - psychologically, they will adapt and begin to become numb to what's going on. It becomes the "norm" for that game.

I agree. Especially Izzo. He has to tell his guys to foul on every single play knowing the refs can only call so many or else it might start to look like they are throwing the game.

Not to mention the refs have to call fouls on the other end to help even it out. It gets to the point where they let Michigan State do whatever they want on one end while we get called for touch fouls on the other.

Latest posts