Iowa Basketball Recruits

He's averaging 13pts a game in 3A Iowa.

And still ranked top 20. Half the coaches don't give a flip about high school stats and only care about leagues and camps. Again though we are still talking about a 15 year old kid. He will learn still how to dominate inferior competition. He does play a bit timid at times, but that could simply be youth and general discomfort and awkwardness of being a giant. The potential for this kid is off the charts. The raw skills are there and that is why the scouts have pegged this kid so high.

Sounds like Top 20 material.

Big kids like that often don't look pretty as youngsters, but you are right if his game were to stay the exact same over the next 2 years of maturation then he would indeed fall from the top 20, but I like many others do not see that as being likely.

Big kids like that often don't look pretty as youngsters, but you are right if his game were to stay the exact same over the next 2 years of maturation then he would indeed fall from the top 20, but I like many others do not see that as being likely.

He is very deserving of his ranking. Very few kids that age have that ability at that size. He would already be the second best drunker on our team and he's 15 years old. There is no way to know how he will develop. Some kids peak at 15. But as of right now, he's got an advantage on almost every single kid in the country.

He is very deserving of his ranking. Very few kids that age have that ability at that size. He would already be the second best drunker on our team and he's 15 years old. There is no way to know how he will develop. Some kids peak at 15. But as of right now, he's got an advantage on almost every single kid in the country.

I know and just when I was starting to find some common ground with TK he goes off the rails again.

I agree with many of your points and understand he is young and "could" develop in to a monster. I'm just wondering, in all honesty, why a consensus top 25 recruit doesn't have more high offers at this point? I'm not a recruiting expert and don't claim to be. I just don't quite get that.

You can always back off a little or pull an offer completely.

Yes understood, I'm wondering if that looks worse than to just keep in touch and offer when ready though. Hard to pull something back after offering, looks like you are unsure and unorganized.

I agree with many of your points and understand he is young and "could" develop in to a monster. I'm just wondering, in all honesty, why a consensus top 25 recruit doesn't have more high offers at this point? I'm not a recruiting expert and don't claim to be. I just don't quite get that.

I think it's as simple as location. Not too many schools are going to invest a lot of their time properly scouting a sophomore from Iowa well enough to give out an offer.

As far as why Fran did. I think Foster's floor is a Gabe Olaseni type career. His ceiling is probably a legit top 25 guy. When you can get a guy with that capability, with your biggest risk being ending up with a Gabe Olaseni, you have to take that risk.

I think it's as simple as location. Not too many schools are going to invest a lot of their time properly scouting a sophomore from Iowa well enough to give out an offer.

As far as why Fran did. I think Foster's floor is a Gabe Olaseni type career. His ceiling is probably a legit top 25 guy. When you can get a guy with that capability, with your biggest risk being ending up with a Gabe Olaseni, you have to take that risk.

Not to mention that he already has a better looking shot than Gabe ever did. Boys can develop quite a bit over their high school basketball careers. I also think I remember something about Gabe not touching a basketball until late high school.

It is pretty simple actually. Schools like Iowa need to get in with phenom potential recruits very young. Blue bloods get the luxury of making casual acquaintance and can wait until JR and Senior years to make sure that the potential is reached before they come to College.

Like I said both Coach K and Bill Self have made personal trips to see Foster and that means they are very aware of the super high ceiling, but truth is he does still need to develop to reach that potential and if he doesn't Kansas and Duke will have plenty of other more ready options.

Iowa will take Foster even if he isn't a guaranteed pro recruit. So there is no reason for Iowa to wait at all. We want Foster no matter if he lives up to one and done talent or not. We get in early and show a kid loyalty and pray that he values that over the flashy schools that come calling.

Not to mention that he already has a better looking shot than Gabe ever did. Boys can develop quite a bit over their high school basketball careers. I also think I remember something about Gabe not touching a basketball until late high school.

Yes Gabe only played basketball for 2 years before coming to Iowa. Foster is already way past Gabe's game. Foster is more like Aaron White floor with Kevin Durant upside.

Phenom? Wow

Yes absolutely. Foster is most definitely "phenom potential". Not phenom yet, but Iowa doesn't care. We never get phenom's anyways. We will take Foster even if he is only a top 100 recruit. There is still a very real chance that he ends up a Top 10 recruit.

Yes absolutely. Foster is most definitely "phenom potential". Not phenom yet, but Iowa doesn't care. We never get phenom's anyways. We will take Foster even if he is only a top 100 recruit. There is still a very real chance that he ends up a Top 10 recruit.

6f4ecf428d027c74e5bc0744d2408affe4a4969dd30bc25aee1df7f24b9da85f.jpg

Updates In Blue*

2019 PG DJ Carton; (Bettendorf) 4A (Record: 8-12)
Scored 21pts, 2 rbds, 3 steals, 6 assists
His team lost 49-67 @ Davenport, North on Feb 13th
Next game is vs Davenport, Central on Feb 16th

Avg: 23.6pts, 5.9 rbds, 1.56 steals, .37 blocks, 3.12 assists, 3.18 turnovers
Avg: FG 47.9%, 3PT 30.1%, FT 77.3%

2020 PF Xavier Foster; (Oskaloosa) 3A (Record: 18-3)
Scored 19pts, 11 rbds, 4 blocks, 1 steal, 6 assists
His team won 90-59 vs Chariton on Feb 13th
Next game is TBD

Avg: 13.1pts, 8.2 rbds, 1 steals, 3.52 blocks, 1.76 assists, 1.95 turnovers
Avg: FG 57.5%, 3PT 35.7%, FT 61.3%

2018 SG CJ Fredrick(Iowa); (Park Hills, KY) 5A (out of 6 classes) (Record: 25-4)

Scored 26pts, 3 rbds; Can't find a source with more stats. If you know of one, please post it.
His team won 84-59 vs Simon Kenton on Feb 13th
Next game is @ Madison Central on Feb 16th

Avg: 22.51pts, 3.24 rbds
Avg: FG 57.3%, 3PT 49.1%, FT 83.7%

2018 PG AJ Green(UNI); (Cedar Falls) 4A (Record: 16-5)
Scored 24pts, 6 rbds, 2 steals, 4 assists
His team won 70-55 vs Cedar Rapids, Washington on Feb 15th
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/29LN72
Next game is TBD

Avg: 26.6pts, 5.2 rbds, 1.85 steals, .33 blocks, 3.04 assists, 1.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 51.9%, 3PT 49.3%, FT 92.6%

2019 PG Tyreke Locure; (Des Moines, North) 4A (Record: 19-2)
Scored 26pts, 8 rbds, 8 steals, 9 assists;
His team won 89-77 vs Urbandale on Feb 13th
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/29JSJj
Next game is @ Marshalltown on Feb 16th

Avg: 27.3pts, 5.7 rbds, 4.14 steals, .23 blocks, 6.76 assists, 3.38 turnovers
Avg: FG 45.4%, 3PT 30.7%, FT 75.9%

2019 SF Patrick McCaffery(Iowa); (Iowa City) 4A (Record: 17-3)
Scored 19pts, 8 rbds, 4 blocks, 2 assists
His team won 54-49 @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids on Feb 15th
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/29LAMV
Next game is vs Cretin Durham, Mn. on Feb 17th

Avg: 20.5pts, 6.3 rbds, 1.4 steals, .9 blocks, 2.35 assists, 1.6 turnovers
Avg: FG 52.6%, 3PT 27.3%, FT 74.1%

2020 PG Jalen Suggs; (Minnehaha Academy, MN) 2A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 18-4)
Scored 7pts;
His team won 79-52 vs Providence Academy on Feb 9th
Next game is @ Columbia Heights on Feb 16th

Avg: -
Avg: FG -, 3PT -, FT -

2019 PG Tyrell Terry; (De La Salle, MN) 3A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 16-4)
Scored 31pts on Feb 9th;
His team won 94-58 @ Columbia Heights on Feb 13th
Next game is vs Fridley on Feb 16th

Avg: -pts
Avg: FG -, 3PT -, FT -

2018 SF Joe Wieskamp(Iowa); (Muscatine) 4A (Record: 14-7)
Scored 32pts, 12 rbds, 1 block, 3 steals, 3 assists
His team won 55-41 vs Assumption Davenport on Feb 13th
Next game is @ Pleasant Valley on Feb 16th

Avg: 34.6pts, 13.5 rbds, 1.45 steals, 1.2 blocks, 1.6 assists, 2.4 turnovers
Avg: FG 56.3%, 3PT 37.3%, FT 83.7%

Last edited:

Latest posts