Iowa Basketball Recruits

Just not sure I'm 100% sold on Foster or Carton. But, I've only seen highlights. I guess I did see Foster play once last year. It is hard because at his size he should dominate 3A basketball if he has any skill at all. Just not sure if he is BIG TEN Material.
I think I saw some talk this summer about Foster possibly being a one and done. That was funny stuff.

I think I saw some talk this summer about Foster possibly being a one and done. That was funny stuff.

Yeah whoever said that is crazy. Granted, he was only a freshmen when I saw him. Just a little surprised that we threw an offer at him so fast. Why not just keep in close touch with him and tell him he's on their radar and they just need to time. He wanted to hang around the 3 pt line too much for me, some of it was scheme by their coach which was perplexing.

Yeah whoever said that is crazy. Granted, he was only a freshmen when I saw him. Just a little surprised that we threw an offer at him so fast. Why not just keep in close touch with him and tell him he's on their radar and they just need to time. He wanted to hang around the 3 pt line too much for me, some of it was scheme by their coach which was perplexing.
Fran really likes height. See Tyreke Locure for additional information.

He has two things working against him on perception. He was willing to walk on because he's a family friend of Fran, and he's white. Imagine if he was deciding right before signing day between us and Xavier, and was black. Right or wrong, I would be more excited. For all we know, we have a quicker, taller Bohannon.

He's a shooting guard, he isn't extremely athletic, and he's white. Therefore, he's automatically another Ellingson or Oglesby.

He could be another BE or JO but then he could be another JJ Reddick, or even Matt Gatens. Heck, I'd take another MG any day.

Last edited:

Dude you are out on a limb floating in the breeze. Foster is a consensus top 25 recruit for the 2020 class. He is likely going to be a McDonald's All American. I suppose you know a ton of 6'10 210Lbs 15 year old kids that can run, jump, shoot and dribble.

Foster is getting visits from Duke and Kansas as a Sophomore. What else is there to know.

You say you saw him play once and weren't impressed. The level of ridiculous here is almost unconscionable. I wish I could craft better words to explain my utter disdain for your "scouting report".

Dude you are out on a limb floating in the breeze. Foster is a consensus top 25 recruit for the 2020 class. He is likely going to be a McDonald's All American. I suppose you know a ton of 6'10 210Lbs 15 year old kids that can run, jump, shoot and dribble.

Foster is getting visits from Duke and Kansas as a Sophomore. What else is there to know.

You say you saw him play once and weren't impressed. The level of ridiculous here is almost unconscionable. I wish I could craft better words to explain my utter disdain for your "scouting report".

Easy Sparky, I never said I wasn't impressed don't put words in my mouth. Of course he can play, and is a nice prospect, but at the BIG TEN level I'm not sure yet...and one and done? There is no "scouting report" anywhere in my comments, just a simple statement that we threw an offer awfully fast. So stone me for having a level of cautiousness since he is so young as ridiculous as you think that is. If it was ridiculous for me to think it wise to wait and see a little more, then he would have far more offers (not inquiries) than he does at the moment.

Dude, I watched him in Colorado Springs this summer and he looked totally out of place with top recruits his age. Maybe he'll end up being a force, but he has a ways to go.

Foster seemed really passive to me. I was thinking he should work for rebounds more. Then I remembered the difference between sophomores and seniors.

Anyone listen to HawkCentral and hear Chad Leistekow and Mark Emmert both predict DJ Carton to go elsewhere? If that happens it will be a tough day for the Fran apologists, he's in Eastern Iowa and his grandpa played ball at Iowa... Everything has been set up for Fran to succeed to not only land Carton but in terms of the state being more talent rich now and over the previous 8 years than at any other time.

Anyone listen to HawkCentral and hear Chad Leistekow and Mark Emmert both predict DJ Carton to go elsewhere? If that happens it will be a tough day for the Fran apologists, he's in Eastern Iowa and his grandpa played ball at Iowa... Everything has been set up for Fran to succeed to not only land Carton but in terms of the state being more talent rich now and over the previous 8 years than at any other time.

They also predicted Weiskamp to be the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. Getting a new "3rd best player" on the team can change it quite a bit.

Updates In Blue*

2018 SG CJ Fredrick(Iowa); (Park Hills, KY) 5A (out of 6 classes) (Record: 25-4)
Scored 26pts, 3 rbds; Can't find a source with more stats. If you know of one, please post it.
His team won 84-59 vs Simon Kenton on Feb 13th
Next game is @ Madison Central on Feb 16th

Avg: 22.51pts, 3.24 rbds
Avg: FG 57.3%, 3PT 49.1%, FT 83.7%

Is he really doing that well from range? I think even Ellingson and Bohannon were lower than that in high school.

I think Fran probably sees a lot of Huerter - an off-guard he lost out on to Maryland - in Frederick.

Watching tape, I think Huerter has a little more savvy in his overall game, but I can definitely see the comparision. If he's anywhere close, that would be fine with me.

Dude, I watched him in Colorado Springs this summer and he looked totally out of place with top recruits his age. Maybe he'll end up being a force, but he has a ways to go.

With half our current roster make up consisting of mid-major level talent at best, it is just hard to have a lot of confidence in Fran offering so soon.

Is he really doing that well from range? I think even Ellingson and Bohannon were lower than that in high school.

I remember his first game or two were really bad. Since then, it seems like every time I check this thread, his 3 pt percentage has gone up a bit.

This is the clip from the USA deal in Colorado Springs. Tell me where he looks out of place other than being awesome?

This is the clip from the USA deal in Colorado Springs. Tell me where he looks out of place other than being awesome?

The day I was there, he didn't look good at all. Didn't even dunk once. Then again, they were playing defense that day unlike that little highlight video. Thanks, but I'll trust my eyes over a clip that's meant to make someone look better than they are. ;)

The day I was there, he didn't look good at all. Didn't even dunk once. Then again, they were playing defense that day unlike that little highlight video. Thanks, but I'll trust my eyes over a clip that's meant to make someone look better than they are. ;)

Lol the video was done by a site called itsovertime. Explain to me the reason why they would be in the business of making Iowa kids look better than they are?

I could post videos for an hour all with visual confirmation that you are wrong. Also I could just let every scout in America shit all over your eye test. Because that is exactly what they have already done.

Foster is for real and would most likely be the highest rated recruit in Iowa history should we actually land him. He is a program changer. Don't let your dislike of Fran cloud your judgement. Foster would be a must get for any coach at Iowa.

P.S. Top 20 basketball recruits are almost never wrong. Those are the easy guys to pick because they are just heads and tales better than everyone else. Foster is absolutely heads and tales better than most others right now. Another 2 years might see kids develop and grow to unseat Foster from the top 20, but until then you should give him the respect that he has earned to this point.

Lol the video was done by a site called itsovertime. Explain to me the reason why they would be in the business of making Iowa kids look better than they are?

I could post videos for an hour all with visual confirmation that you are wrong. Also I could just let every scout in America shit all over your eye test. Because that is exactly what they have already done.

Foster is for real and would most likely be the highest rated recruit in Iowa history should we actually land him. He is a program changer. Don't let your dislike of Fran cloud your judgement. Foster would be a must get for any coach at Iowa.

P.S. Top 20 basketball recruits are almost never wrong. Those are the easy guys to pick because they are just heads and tales better than everyone else. Foster is absolutely heads and tales better than most others right now. Another 2 years might see kids develop and grow to unseat Foster from the top 20, but until then you should give him the respect that he has earned to this point.
He's averaging 13pts a game in 3A Iowa.

By God, those boys can play, but can they play D? Didn't see a whole lot of that. Is this dude a legit Iowa get?

Latest posts