Iowa Basketball Recruits

A few things surprise me from all these updates. First big take away for me is Carton's team record. If you have that big of a recruit, especially a point guard you should be winning games. Second, Xavier Foster's team seems to keep winning even if he doesn't show up. This can be important as you make a run for the State Tourney. Third, for most of these players, there isn't much consistency on scoring. Seems like Wieskamp and Locure are the most consistent of the bunch, along with Green.

Green is the only player I have seen in person and he is going to be a good one. Really impressed me when I saw him.
Yep. Really wish we actually had a shot at Green. He'd prob be a perfect #2.

Edit: Yes, I know he is going to UNI.

Yep. Really wish we actually had a shot at Green. He'd prob be a perfect #2.

Edit: Yes, I know he is going to UNI.

Yeah when I watched him, he was still uncommitted. Even then I knew it would probably require a coaching change to have him go anywhere but UNI.

Will be interesting to see if Carton guards Wieskamp. I believe Carton was out injured when they played the first time this season.

I may be pessimistic, but the recruiting of Carton sure looks like Ulis 2.0

I hope Fran has learned his lesson and has solid plans B, C or D.

I have a feeling FM wins one and gets Carton. He will see the peers coming in with him and the bigs that are already there.

His F year starting lineup is AJC, JBo, JW, Cook and LG. That's solid. PMac and Nunge as 6 and 7.

I have a feeling FM wins one and gets Carton. He will see the peers coming in with him and the bigs that are already there.

His F year starting lineup is AJC, JBo, JW, Cook and LG. That's solid. PMac and Nunge as 6 and 7.

I just had a horrible thought. I mean, horrible for the Hawks, great for the kids. What if Carton is being offered the starting gig day one at the blue bloods being a borderline 5 start prospect and Iowa is saying you're definitely playing behind JBo and Connor. Assuming you're not a lifelong Hawk fan and you're that kid, what choice do you make?

Second part of that thought is that Locure could blow up this summer and become another bonafide 4 star. (And I honestly think his talent and skill set could put him in that range.) Then imagine the Hawks are late to the offer party again when he blows up. Now Locure also isn't a lifelong hawk fan and probably has his eyes set on getting noticed by a blue blood...

That would be 3 top tier point guards within the state's borders all gone within the span of 2 years if you're counting AJ Green. All that said, I think with the addition of Wieskamp and Connor next year we're going to make a sweet 16 run.

All that said, I think with the addition of Wieskamp and Connor next year we're going to make a sweet 16 run.
giphy.gif

I just had a horrible thought. I mean, horrible for the Hawks, great for the kids. What if Carton is being offered the starting gig day one at the blue bloods being a borderline 5 start prospect and Iowa is saying you're definitely playing behind JBo and Connor. Assuming you're not a lifelong Hawk fan and you're that kid, what choice do you make?

Second part of that thought is that Locure could blow up this summer and become another bonafide 4 star. (And I honestly think his talent and skill set could put him in that range.) Then imagine the Hawks are late to the offer party again when he blows up. Now Locure also isn't a lifelong hawk fan and probably has his eyes set on getting noticed by a blue blood...

That would be 3 top tier point guards within the state's borders all gone within the span of 2 years if you're counting AJ Green. All that said, I think with the addition of Wieskamp and Connor next year we're going to make a sweet 16 run.
Agree with most of what you wrote, but what would make you think a sweet 16 run is even remotely possible?

Agree with most of what you wrote, but what would make you think a sweet 16 run is even remotely possible?

Aside from ridiculous homerism being a lifelong hawk fan, I think what we're really short on is guards and experience in the post. We're getting the post experience and we add two 4 star guys at guard next season (Connor and Wieskamp) who will both play significant minutes. Add to that Dailey with another years experience and we will see a 180 turnaround on defense with an incremental step forward in an already solid offense. We're a year away from being deep at every position. Connor will play point, Dailey will play point, Bohannon will play point. All three of those guys will take turns at the 2 with Moss. Then we can cover the 3 with Baer and Dailey (Nunge if we're going big), I'm also starting to feel good about any combination of Kriener, Cook, Pemsl, Nunge, and Garza for the 4 and 5 spots so long as they have experience playing together.

This will take the team into the top 20 from an offensive efficiency standpoint (presently 28th) and top 50 in defensive efficiency (in line with historical Iowa numbers). We will have balance, and I think when we're in games late, this team has a killer instinct that was lacking in prior teams Fran has assembled. When games have been close the past two years with this team, they've seemed to pull it out more than past teams have been able to. That combined with depth in the post and at the guard spots will put us in excellent position to win a lot of games late next year after some early season struggles from learning to incorporate the new guards.

I sure hope that IF Carton becomes a Hawk (or any other pg we might end up getting) and that IF he's what he's cracked up to be and is a better option at playing PG instead of CM that Fran won't go all Lavar Ball and play his kid regardless. I don't take him as that type. It'd be a nice problem to have if both are good. The only worry I have with it is how small we'd be in the backcourt. Sitting Moss and having a 6'0 and 6'2 backcourt can be problematic. But again we'll just have to see who we get and how it goes

I sure hope that IF Carton becomes a Hawk (or any other pg we might end up getting) and that IF he's what he's cracked up to be and is a better option at playing PG instead of CM that Fran won't go all Lavar Ball and play his kid regardless. I don't take him as that type. It'd be a nice problem to have if both are good. The only worry I have with it is how small we'd be in the backcourt. Sitting Moss and having a 6'0 and 6'2 backcourt can be problematic. But again we'll just have to see who we get and how it goes

6' and 6'2" at the 1 and 2 is fine. MG and AC were similar sized and they were on an awfully good teams their senior year. In fact the size comparisons would be almost identical down the line. Their size was not what limited them or that team. W the size at the 3-5 and the ability to go bigger at the 2, thy would be just fine.

But on the perimeter, two positions stand out as possibilities: point guard and "perimeter stopper."

"Obviously, in the 2019 class, we’ve identified someone that really could help us, and that’s something that’s high on our radar," Francis said. "What we’re looking for in that class is to improve our point guards, that backcourt position, with some speed and athleticism and quickness and shiftiness off the dribble. If you look at our team and the makeup of our team, that’s something that is not the strongest part of what we have.

"The other part of that is, do we look at a guy who could be a perimeter stopper, who also has the ability to score the basketball a little bit. But someone who is tenacious defensively, who can really move their feet and guard multiple positions on the wing."

6' and 6'2" at the 1 and 2 is fine. MG and AC were similar sized and they were on an awfully good teams their senior year. In fact the size comparisons would be almost identical down the line. Their size was not what limited them or that team. W the size at the 3-5 and the ability to go bigger at the 2, thy would be just fine.
Those two were pretty darn good defenders. Not sure how good a true freshman in Carton will be on D and we already know about JBo. It'll just kinda depend as not everything is equal. Your right though Fran isn't afraid of playing two shorter guards at a time and that might be how it plays out. Heck maybe the light goes on for Moss down the stretch and he makes it impossible to take out of the lineup. Unlikely but you never know

Heck maybe the light goes on for Moss down the stretch and he makes it impossible to take out of the lineup. Unlikely but you never know

I'll steal this from mopkins on the other thread and just leave it here:

Moss isn't what I thought he'd be at this point either, but if you put his 2nd-year college stats side-by-side with Jok and Marble you'd actually find them quite comparable. Here are the 3 side by side with names taken out

11.5 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 39% 3pt, 30 minutes
11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 39% 3pt, 24 minutes
7 points, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 34% 3pt, 20 minutes

Latest posts