Iowa Athletics COVID-19 Discussion

This is exactly what happened in AZ right before we went from a few hundred cases per day to over 4K per day. After a month and a half of mask mandates and closed bars we are back down to reasonable numbers. I’m afraid that Iowa’s numbers are going to get far worse in the weeks to come.

Following all of the accusations that Covid infections are being over stated, the DM Register published a story that infections in Iowa were likely under reported. Oh well. 57% of republicans say the death rate is ok. Must be. Just reporting a cold hard fact.

Neither laissez-faire nor jackbooted thuggery is gonna help keep those kids from spreading The Germ. The schools and towns need a plan ASAP to create an outdoor tailgating style environment to keep the kids reasonably spaced and out of cramped indoor settings. Both the towns and schools are at grave risk if the university model crashes.

Neither laissez-faire nor jackbooted thuggery is gonna help keep those kids from spreading The Germ. The schools and towns need a plan ASAP to create an outdoor tailgating style environment to keep the kids reasonably spaced and out of cramped indoor settings. Both the towns and schools are at grave risk if the university model crashes.
I live near an area in Ankeny called the District. On Friday evenings the merchants host live music in a plaza area. What was done to space out people was marking out 6/6 squares on the lawn six feet apart. It seems to have worked here without problems. I'm not seeing much ingenuity from public officials on how to get through this pandemic. I guess if you don't have to worry about making a living self-employed you don't have to use any ingenuity.

I live near an area in Ankeny called the District. On Friday evenings the merchants host live music in a plaza area. What was done to space out people was marking out 6/6 squares on the lawn six feet apart. It seems to have worked here without problems. I'm not seeing much ingenuity from public officials on how to get through this pandemic. I guess if you don't have to worry about making a living self-employed you don't have to use any ingenuity.

Yeah, it's unreal. I get that Iowa City has a major town-gown issue, but that town is going to be fucked 6 ways from Sunday if the University of Iowa has a prolonged diminution in enrollment that results from The Germ. The only ingenuity in that town is figuring out ways to shake down college kids with nonsense fines that are just stealth taxes. When I got my PAULA ticket in '98 that sumnabitch was $15. Now it's like tree fucking fiddy.

I've lived here for 23 years and love downtown Iowa City. I've spent a lot of time at the library and playground with my kids as they were growing up. It's a bummer.

Following all of the accusations that Covid infections are being over stated, the DM Register published a story that infections in Iowa were likely under reported. Oh well. 57% of republicans say the death rate is ok. Must be. Just reporting a cold hard fact.
The Dubuque Telegraph Herald has been all over this with a steady stream of articles and editorials patting themselves on the back for the ruse they supposedly uncovered, calling it especially agregeous on the eve of schools starting, and even calling for the resignation of top state health officials.

What the state is doing is not counting recent confirmed cases until all data is received. The Telegraph Herald is accusing the state of slow playing critical data at the most critical time (schools starting back up)

Even if it is slow playing the difference, in Dubuque County, between the newspapers figures and the state's is usually only a percentage point or two. And neither figure has approached the threshold for converting to virtual schooling in Dubuque County, which is 15% positivity rate for two weeks.

But the TH presses on. Editor Amy Gilligan has written that "This is why we do what we do".

OK, fine. Now use that same investigative intensity to go after the other methods that officials use to fudge numbers, such as attributing multiple positive tests attributed to one person as multiple people getting infected. Or those who are still in line when testing facilities close being counted as positives. And when are they going to attribute cases to people "peacefully protesting"? They are already linking them to the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally.

This is exactly what happened in AZ right before we went from a few hundred cases per day to over 4K per day. After a month and a half of mask mandates and closed bars we are back down to reasonable numbers. I’m afraid that Iowa’s numbers are going to get far worse in the weeks to come.
Johnson County numbers are up already. Iowa's numbers seem to fluctuate day to day quite a bit, but over the long haul have been pretty steady all summer.

Don't know about state hospitalizations but they have dropped into single digits in Dubuque County.

Latest posts