Iowa Athletics COVID-19 Discussion

I think the social distancing at the game itself could work, but I think the bigger problem is how do you maintain social distancing while arriving at and going into the stadium. Masks get hot and suck to wear in the heat so I think another issue is going to be for those in the stands that don't believe in wearing masks, what safeguards or policies can be put in place to see to it that they are wearing their masks while exiting the stadium? Obviously they can be asked to leave or removed if they refuse to wear it entering the game, but that doesn't have the same pull once the final whistle blows.

Anyone that doesn't want to wear a mask is welcome to sit up in the press box in an enclosed room together breathing each other's air. If anyone tests positive, you all have to live in there until nobody tests positive.

I'm hoping that these athletic departments are forced to be more budget conscious moving forward. Fiscally irresponsible businesses trying to outdo each other. And people are losing jobs because of it, some of whom are friends.

Anyone that doesn't want to wear a mask is welcome to sit up in the press box in an enclosed room together breathing each other's air. If anyone tests positive, you all have to live in there until nobody tests positive.
If no one tests positive do we have to live in there until someone does?

The alternative would be being sent directly to the NFL where coaches are getting fined astronomically for improperly wearing their masks while the players on the field have absolutely no way of not breathing on each other. I get that its a league policy that they're enforcing but can't help but see this as the leagues way of squeezing a little more money out of the owners and the teams.

I'm hoping that these athletic departments are forced to be more budget conscious moving forward. Fiscally irresponsible businesses trying to outdo each other. And people are losing jobs because of it, some of whom are friends.
Wouldn't that include some sort of title IX reforming as much as anything? Isn't much of the pie spoken for? I agree with the amount of $ all these schools bring in that their shouldn't be nearly the financial problems that their is. I just think that the model is messed up more so then how the individual ADs actually allocate it all. Or am I missing something?

Wouldn't that include some sort of title IX reforming as much as anything? Isn't much of the pie spoken for? I agree with the amount of $ all these schools bring in that their shouldn't be nearly the financial problems that their is. I just think that the model is messed up more so then how the individual ADs actually allocate it all. Or am I missing something?
I mknow I've said it before, but I wish any non-revenue sports would just go club level and raise their own money.

Because if we're being honest, that's what collegiate sports were originally designed to do...offer recreation while at college. Football and MBB have evolved into profit monsters that could probably survive this thing a whole lot better if they didn't have to pay for row boats and golf balls.

Back in 1924 there weren't any tennis or hockey teams that depended on the checks from football to pay their way. I realize this isn't 1924, but it's not the fault of football and MBB that those other sports (men's or women's) can't pay their bills on their own. Whether FB and BB should be the huge money machines that they are is a debatable philosphical question, but either way non-revenue sports should actually be thankful they've had the gravy train they have for so many decades.

I mean, I empathize at some levels with kids who lost their sports, but I also know that the only reason any of those sports get equipment, travel, and scholarships is because football exists. Could football and basketball still pay money to keep diving and gymnastics alive? Probably. Should they? My opinion is no. And that goes for all collegiate programs, not just Iowa. Non-revenue sports are houses of cards and they should enjoy it when the coffers are full, but not be surprised when they fall.

Last edited: