Inside Look: D.J. Carton's Coaches Discuss PG's Game, Recruitment

The HS he goes to is pretty much the worst of the DSM schools. Yet he's single handedly propped them up into probably being a state tourney team. The kid is legit. He's a good student from what I've read. I'm not sure about his home backround as a lot of the kids that go to North are from pretty tough backrounds and that neighborhood sucks. I for one wouldn't even hesitate at this point to offer him unless we have the DJ kid in our pocket. But I wouldn't say he's a no brainer I think Wisky is after him hard. (partially due to Dean Oliver of all people) Iowa'd be smart to go all in on Locure now and see if you can lock him up and not lose him. We got lucky JBo has turned out to be what he is but you can't fall to your 5th/6th and lower option all the time. Sometimes you gotta just jump on your 2nd or 3rd
Well, if you listen to CyTwins, they shouldn't even play high school games, because coaches only care about AAU ball. I guess I can delete that thread updating the recruits' high school game performances.

Well, if you listen to CyTwins, they shouldn't even play high school games, because coaches only care about AAU ball. I guess I can delete that thread updating the recruits' high school game performances.
I don't know to what extent coaches value what in terms of evaluating but to me seeing how they play in a more structured team environment and how they respond to coaching and game situations matters. AAU is just about a joke when it comes to any kind of coaching or game intensity. It's just a platform for showing off athleticism. (and coaches making side deals and funneling kids to programs)

No, you're not listening.

I'm looking at his AAU numbers and they show that he played poorly when he did play. You've already stated coaches are hung up on his size even though kids his size and even smaller than him are garnering P5 offers and then you said he played well in AAU when he didn't. I understand you have some sort of connection to this kid but Carton is obviously the better prospect by far at this point. I have no dog in this fight and have no personal agenda against Tyreke. I actually hope he blows up this summer and becomes a legitimate P5 prospect because knowing Fran he will miss on Carton and Terry and we will need some fallback options.

I don't know to what extent coaches value what in terms of evaluating but to me seeing how they play in a more structured team environment and how they respond to coaching and game situations matters. AAU is just about a joke when it comes to any kind of coaching or game intensity. It's just a platform for showing off athleticism. (and coaches making side deals and funneling kids to programs)
Exactly! I find it hard to believe that coaches put more stock into AAU games than full high school seasons.

I'm looking at his AAU numbers and they show that he played poorly when he did play. You've already stated coaches are hung up on his size even though kids his size and even smaller than him are garnering P5 offers and then you said he played well in AAU when he didn't. I understand you have some sort of connection to this kid but Carton is obviously the better prospect by far at this point. I have no dog in this fight and have no personal agenda against Tyreke. I actually hope he blows up this summer and becomes a legitimate P5 prospect because knowing Fran he will miss on Carton and Terry and we will need some fallback options.
Dear god man. He took 9 shots in 4 games. I explained to you before that his minutes were down because he couldn't make it to most of their games. If you followed the team, there was plenty of video showing him breaking down defenses and making excellent passes.

Which is a better sampling? Shooting 44.9% on 136 shots taken so far in his junior season or 30% on 9 shots taken in 4 AAU games?

Last edited:
Dear god man. He took 9 shots in 4 games. I explained to you before that his minutes were down because he couldn't make it to most of their games. If you followed the team, there was plenty of video showing him breaking down defenses and making excellent passes.

Which is a better sampling? Shooting 44.9% on 136 shots taken so far in his senior season or 30% on 9 shots taken in 4 AAU games?

That is wrong. He took 26 shots and only had 6 assists to 5 turnovers in those 4 games. Again, you sound like a Kirk apologist if you call that playing well haha.

Exactly! I find it hard to believe that coaches put more stock into AAU games than full high school seasons.
Right there's no way that they do. They just get more access to them during the summer at those events. During the season they are too busy coaching their current team of kids. For that reason alone it may seem as though more emphasis is placed on AAU. But not in terms of actually evaluating them as players

That is wrong. He took 26 shots and only had 6 assists to 5 turnovers in those 4 games. Again, you sound like a Kirk apologist if you call that playing well haha.
You're right, looked at the wrong line. Do you think 26 shots in 4 AAU games is a better sampling than 136 shots in 7 high school games?

Locure's minutes per game were minimal in AAU this summer, because he wasn't able to make it to most of their games. He still managed to shoot 40% from three and like I said earlier, there was plenty of video released from those AAU games that showed Locure breaking down defenses (literally causing guys to fall down) and making excellent passes.

You're right, looked at the wrong line. Do you think 26 shots in 4 AAU games is a better sampling than 136 shots in 7 high school games?

Locure has played well in high school games, he did not play well in AAU games. You said he played well in AAU and were wrong, don't take that out on me man!

Locure's minutes per game were minimal in AAU this summer, because he wasn't able to make it to most of their games. He still managed to shoot 40% from three and like I said earlier, there was plenty of video released from those AAU games that showed Locure breaking down defenses (literally causing guys to fall down) and making excellent passes.

TK, do you know where Locure is playing his AAU ball this offseason? Just curious.

In CyTwins world: Shooting FG 30% and 3PT 40% in 4 AAU games is more important than the following:

Junior season:
Avg: 27.7pts, 5.6 rbds, 4.28 steals, 6.42 assists
Avg: FG 44.9% (61-136), 3PT 38.8% (19-49), FT 76.8% (53-69)

Sophomore season:
Avg: 25.6pts, 5.2 rbds, 3 steals, 7.26 assists
Avg: FG 44.4% (188-423), 3PT 32.9% (46-140), FT 83.8% (166-198)

Freshman season: (led 4A in assists & steals)
Avg: 13.3pts, 4 rbds, 3.45 steals, 7.33 assists
Avg: FG 45% (109-242), 3PT 35.2% (43-122), FT 68.6% (59-86)

Last edited:
TK, do you know where Locure is playing his AAU ball this offseason? Just curious.
I don't know, yet. I really hope wherever he plays, he can participate full-time. I do think he's probably doing himself a disservice if chooses Mokan again. IMO, he really should select a more local team.

FTR, Locure can dunk as well. His vertical is reported as 34 inches right now.
You've seen him dunk? I'd be surprised if he can dunk on a regulation rim. But it doesn't really matter to me. I dont put as much stock in that as some coaches seem to.

I just can’t help but laugh at this.

We’ve had this ongoing discussion about true PGs on this board dating back to last year. At which time myself, @PCHawk , and some others said if we do bring in a true PG you are clearly going to sacrifice shooting ability from the perimeter. That’s because if you have a “true PG” that can breakdown defenses and can also shoot, you are talking about a blue chip prospect in the mold of a Lonzo Ball, Trae Young, or Colin Sexton. I’m sorry but the cold hard reality is that Iowa is not going to be able to land those guys.

So flash forward a year later and Iowa is recruiting a 4-Star, top 100, TRUE PG, and you are now complaining saying well he can’t shoot! Simply amazing and I just can’t help but find the humor in it.
I said it's going to be a problem for him. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to live with it. I'd much rather have a PG that can drive/dish and break down defenders, than a PG that shoots well but can't do the other things.

Locure is small and not terribly quick. I don't think his size/speed translates very well at the next level. He needs to get stronger. If you want to compare him to Ulis, he needs to get stronger and faster. Ulis also had better handles at that point in their respective careers.
You've seen him dunk? I'd be surprised if he can dunk on a regulation rim. But it doesn't really matter to me. I dont put as much stock in that as some coaches seem to.
30 seconds in... Video should also help alleviate some of your concerns about his "quickness" & "handles" lol

30 seconds in... Video should also help alleviate some of your concerns about his "quickness" & "handles" lol

I've seen the kid play in person. Several times.
He actually dunked that fairly easily. I'd say he's got closer to a 38 or 40" vertical.
And watching him carry the ball, rather than actually dribble it, doesn't do much to impress me.

Latest posts