Inside Look: D.J. Carton's Coaches Discuss PG's Game, Recruitment

Locure is small and not terribly quick. I don't think his size/speed translates very well at the next level. He needs to get stronger. If you want to compare him to Ulis, he needs to get stronger and faster. Ulis also had better handles at that point in their respective careers.

Locure is small and not terribly quick. I don't think his size/speed translates very well at the next level. He needs to get stronger. If you want to compare him to Ulis, he needs to get stronger and faster. Ulis also had better handles at that point in their respective careers.
You lost me with "not terribly quick." Locure is without a doubt, quicker than Carton. I really don't know where you're coming from with the handles comment. Maybe Ulis had better handles, but Carton surely doesn't. I would agree that Carton is bigger & stronger, but that's about all he has going for him that's better than Locure.

Now that Iowa has all the pieces in place, Fran better be going all in on a PG. This is basically his legacy on the line. If Conner and Dailey develop as solid guards and Cook sticks around, A solid PG would transform this team from average to elite.

You lost me with "not terribly quick." Locure is without a doubt, quicker than Carton. I really don't know where you're coming from with the handles comment. Maybe Ulis had better handles, but Carton surely doesn't. I would agree that Carton is bigger & stronger, but that's about all he has going for him that's better than Locure.
I'm comparing Locure to Ulis, as I saw you brought up the comparison.
I'd say that Locure has better handles than Carton but not enough to make that big of a difference. Neither Locure or Carton shoot particularly well. I've seen both players, several times on the AAU circuit. I wouldn't say Locure is quicker than Carton.

Schools do miss on players, but 90% of the time if a kid has offers from everyone, and another kid has a Mid Major offer, the kid with offers from everyone is the better player with the higher ceiling.

Good body control. Good vision. Not sure how quick. Another shooter with a low release point. Probably not P5 unless he has a coach that can teach shooting. Serviceable. How does someone get to that point in HS and be considered a serious recruit and shoot like that?

We need to get Carton or Terry. We already missed on Francis and Watts is probably a pipe dream. We need to get a plan A recruit in this class, we can't keep getting Plan D-G recruits at the point guard position.

Do you actually think Locure is better than Carton?

If so why do you think it is that all these D1 coaches and recruiting services see it differently than you?

Too bad Carton isn't a year older. By the time he arrives in Iowa City, Baer will be gone and he'll only have one season with the Cook/JBo/Pemsl/Moss class. The "point guard fix" window has closed for most of the current roster unless something unexpected happens.

If so why do you think it is that all these D1 coaches and recruiting services see it differently than you?
Who knows? He has more offers at this point than Tyler Ulis did at the same juncture. What did all those D1 coaches see differently about Ulis back then?

And yes, I definitely think Locure is better than Carton!

Here are their stats. Both play in 4A. The conference Locure plays in is arguably better than the conference Carton plays in.

DJ Carton:
Avg: 21.5pts, 6.5 rbds, 1 steals, .50 blocks, 3.25 assists, 3 turnovers
Avg: FG 41.7%, 3PT 33.3%, FT 84.4%

Tyreke Locure:
Avg: 27.7pts, 5.6 rbds, 4.28 steals, 6.42 assists, 3.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 44.9%, 3PT 38.8%, FT 76.8%

Carton can dunk a basketball. For some coaches, that = athletic and it makes him worthy of an offer. I'm not sure why. Look no further than the stories from Anthony Clemmon's high school coach. Once Clemmon's dunked in an AAU tournament game in Vegas, the offers started coming.
Maybe that's what coaches want to see in order to get them to "reach" on a player.
I can tell you that Carton's shooting issues are going to be a problem for him at a high D-1 level.

My thoughts exactly. The last guy we had even near as quick as locure has to be Chauncey Leslie. And Leslie didn't have anywhere near the skill/scoring ability that Locure does. This would be a totally different team with Locure. Cook and JorBo would benefit exponentially from Locure running the point. Fran needs to offer and soon.

Latest posts