Inside Look: D.J. Carton's Coaches Discuss PG's Game, Recruitment

Who knows? He has more offers at this point than Tyler Ulis did at the same juncture. What did all those D1 coaches see differently about Ulis back then?

And yes, I definitely think Locure is better than Carton!

Here are their stats. Both play in 4A. The conference Locure plays in is arguably better than the conference Carton plays in.

DJ Carton:
Avg: 21.5pts, 6.5 rbds, 1 steals, .50 blocks, 3.25 assists, 3 turnovers
Avg: FG 41.7%, 3PT 33.3%, FT 84.4%

Tyreke Locure:
Avg: 27.7pts, 5.6 rbds, 4.28 steals, 6.42 assists, 3.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 44.9%, 3PT 38.8%, FT 76.8%
For starters I don’t believe that is true about Locure having more offers than Ulis at this time. I think Ulis had at least an Iowa offer amongst a few others at this stage.

HS stats are... well HS stats. You have to wonder how well those are even recorded.

You’ve been pimping this Locure kid for some time on the board but do you ever wonder to yourself if you are missing something here? I mean everyone else is seeing something different that you.

Now from what I’ve seen of highlights I certainly see some of the “Ulis” like potential in Locure. I would have no issues with Iowa offering this kid, but I also recognize that I don’t fully understand the situation. There have been rumblings of other “issues” here which may be why teams are hesitant to offer.

For what ever feelings you have about Fran I don’t think that anyone could make an argument that he isn’t good at identifying talent and especially under the radar talent.

Carton can dunk a basketball. For some coaches, that = athletic and it makes him worthy of an offer. I'm not sure why. Look no further than the stories from Anthony Clemmon's high school coach. Once Clemmon's dunked in an AAU tournament game in Vegas, the offers started coming.
Maybe that's what coaches want to see in order to get them to "reach" on a player.
I can tell you that Carton's shooting issues are going to be a problem for him at a high D-1 level.
FTR, Locure can dunk as well. His vertical is reported as 34 inches right now.

For starters I don’t believe that is true about Locure having more offers than Ulis at this time. I think Ulis had at least an Iowa offer amongst a few others at this stage.

HS stats are... well HS stats. You have to wonder how well those are even recorded.

You’ve been pimping this Locure kid for some time on the board but do you ever wonder to yourself if you are missing something here? I mean everyone else is seeing something different that you.

Now from what I’ve seen of highlights I certainly see some of the “Ulis” like potential in Locure. I would have no issues with Iowa offering this kid, but I also recognize that I don’t fully understand the situation. There have been rumblings of other “issues” here which may be why teams are hesitant to offer.

For what ever feelings you have about Fran I don’t think that anyone could make an argument that he isn’t good at identifying talent and especially under the radar talent.
The HS he goes to is pretty much the worst of the DSM schools. Yet he's single handedly propped them up into probably being a state tourney team. The kid is legit. He's a good student from what I've read. I'm not sure about his home backround as a lot of the kids that go to North are from pretty tough backrounds and that neighborhood sucks. I for one wouldn't even hesitate at this point to offer him unless we have the DJ kid in our pocket. But I wouldn't say he's a no brainer I think Wisky is after him hard. (partially due to Dean Oliver of all people) Iowa'd be smart to go all in on Locure now and see if you can lock him up and not lose him. We got lucky JBo has turned out to be what he is but you can't fall to your 5th/6th and lower option all the time. Sometimes you gotta just jump on your 2nd or 3rd

The HS he goes to is pretty much the worst of the DSM schools. Yet he's single handedly propped them up into probably being a state tourney team. The kid is legit. He's a good student from what I've read. I'm not sure about his home backround as a lot of the kids that go to North are from pretty tough backrounds and that neighborhood sucks. I for one wouldn't even hesitate at this point to offer him unless we have the DJ kid in our pocket. But I wouldn't say he's a no brainer I think Wisky is after him hard. (partially due to Dean Oliver of all people) Iowa'd be smart to go all in on Locure now and see if you can lock him up and not lose him. We got lucky JBo has turned out to be what he is but you can't fall to your 5th/6th and lower option all the time. Sometimes you gotta just jump on your 2nd or 3rd
Already did that last year...

Des Moines North boys reach state for first time in 26 years

(Tyreke Locure held the state tournament qualifier banner in his hands as the rest of the North boys' basketball players celebrated around him.

The sophomore point guard still had a hard time believing that the Polar Bears are headed to Wells Fargo Arena next week.

"It feels amazing, especially to get it for this community," Locure said after North rolled to an 88-68 victory over Ankeny in a Class 4A substate final on Tuesday at Grimes. "Everybody is behind us on the north side. They've been dreaming of this since 1991, and to get it done tonight is an unbelievable feeling for them and for us.")

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...th-boys-basketball-state-tournament/98528626/

I can tell you that Carton's shooting issues are going to be a problem for him at a high D-1 level.
I just can’t help but laugh at this.

We’ve had this ongoing discussion about true PGs on this board dating back to last year. At which time myself, @PCHawk , and some others said if we do bring in a true PG you are clearly going to sacrifice shooting ability from the perimeter. That’s because if you have a “true PG” that can breakdown defenses and can also shoot, you are talking about a blue chip prospect in the mold of a Lonzo Ball, Trae Young, or Colin Sexton. I’m sorry but the cold hard reality is that Iowa is not going to be able to land those guys.

So flash forward a year later and Iowa is recruiting a 4-Star, top 100, TRUE PG, and you are now complaining saying well he can’t shoot! Simply amazing and I just can’t help but find the humor in it.

I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys see in the film.

I also think that Fran has a proven track record of identifying talent, not to mention that no other P5 school is getting involved. Will be interesting to follow going forward.

I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys in the film.

I also think that Fran has a proven track record of identifying talent, not to mention that no other P5 school is getting involved. Will be interesting to follow going forward.
I think Fran is just doing his due diligence with him as he does have other offers out there. I just don't like our odds in getting the other ones be it DJ or the kid from MN. I feel if he'd move on from them (easy for me to say I know nothing about what their conversations have been) and offer Locure. But that said he very well might not jump on it right away either. He's got plenty of time yet. I just don't want to see us miss out and have to go futher down the list just because we were dragging our feet on him.

I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys see in the film.

I've added Terry's stat lines to the recruits thread if you're interested...
https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/iowa-basketball-recruits.81351/page-5

2019 PG Tyrell Terry; (De La Salle, MN) 3A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 3-2)
Scored 8pts, 4 rbds, 4 assists
His team won 79-44 @ Cedar Falls, IA on Dec 16th
Next game is vs Benilde-St. Margaret's on Dec 22nd
Avg: 14.6pts, 3.4 rbds, 1.8 steals, .2 blocks, 7.2 assists, 3.4 turnovers
Avg: FG 43.1%, 3PT 33.3%, FT 84.2%

Probably just a case that if Carton declares for Wisconsin, Fran offers Locure. Fran offers Locure before Carton declares, if might upset Carton and he goes to UW for sure and Fran has his heart set on him. But that's probably too simplistic of a view.

He's right though. High school stats are borderline meaningless, especially in the state of Iowa. Players prove their worth on the AAU circuit. Locure must not have done very well this last AAU season.
That's not what he was saying. BTW, he did great in AAU last season. I think most coaches are hung up on his size.

That's not what he was saying. BTW, he did great in AAU last season. I think most coaches are hung up on his size.

Here are players similar size to Locure or even smaller that all have P5 offers. Markese Jacobs is 5'10" 155 pounds and he's going to Kansas. Like I said, Locure didn't prove he's valuable enough to earn offers this last AAU circuit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Markese-Jacobs-45572913

https://247sports.com/Player/Sahvir-Wheeler-45572883

https://247sports.com/Player/Justice-Hill-88942

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyrell-Terry-45572911

Here are players similar size to Locure or even smaller that all have P5 offers. Markese Jacobs is 5'10" 155 pounds and he's going to Kansas. Like I said, Locure didn't prove he's valuable enough to earn offers this last AAU circuit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Markese-Jacobs-45572913

https://247sports.com/Player/Sahvir-Wheeler-45572883

https://247sports.com/Player/Justice-Hill-88942

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyrell-Terry-45572911
I really have no idea what the hangup is with coaches and Locure. I do know that he played well in AAU when he played. He wasn't able to play in even half of the games. Maybe he should have played in an Iowa AAU team...

I really have no idea what the hangup is with coaches and Locure. I do know that he played well in AAU when he played. He wasn't able to play in even half of the games. Maybe he should have played in an Iowa AAU team...

It looks like he only shot 30% and put up 6 points per game when he played. I wouldn't say that is playing well haha.

It looks like he only shot 30% and put up 6 points per game when he played. I wouldn't say that is playing well haha.
Shot 40% from 3pt.

If coaches put that much stock in AAU versus high school, then Tyreke screwed himself over by playing for a Kansas City team, because he missed most of their games, which led to his minutes being less during the games he did play in.

Yeah I saw him shot 2-5 on the AAU circuit. I'm not sure where you got that he played well on his AAU team but I think it's safe to say his poor AAU showing is what is holding coaches back.
Like I said before, his minutes were down when he did play because he wasn't able to make it to most of the games. When he did play, he played well. It's too bad they didn't track minutes played, because I'm sure his points per minute were just fine. I hope he's able to make most of their games the next go around, cuz he might be doing himself a disservice if not...

Like I said before, his minutes were down when he did play because he wasn't able to make it to most of the games. When he did play, he played well. It's too bad they didn't track minutes played, because I'm sure his points per minute were just fine. I hope he's able to make most of their games the next go around, cuz he might be doing himself a disservice if not...

He shot 30% and only had one more assist than he had in turnovers. He didn't play well which is probably why he doesn't have P5 offers. You sound like a Kirk apologist right now man!

Latest posts