Inside Look: D.J. Carton's Coaches Discuss PG's Game, Recruitment

I don't think he's very high on Iowa.

I guess I'm confused because I thought all this time you were clamoring for Fran to offer the kid. If the kid isn't very high on Iowa why would Fran not focus on these other targets who certainly seem to have better offers and we likely have a better chance getting.

I guess I'm confused because I thought all this time you were clamoring for Fran to offer the kid. If the kid isn't very high on Iowa why would Fran not focus on these other targets who certainly seem to have better offers and we likely have a better chance getting.
I think Fran had a chance earlier on, but I'm thinking that the lack of an offer will have a lasting effect on Locure's college decision. Again, it's pure speculation. As far as I know, Locure really wants to play for the Hawks, IDK.

So in summary.

@tksirius has been putting up a stink about the fact that Iowa has not offered a kid for the last several months that isn’t in his estimation interested in Iowa.

He is convinced that this kid is better than a consensus 4 Star in state PG and another Iowa PG offer that has an impressive offer list. He is convinced this because he has seen him play in person and his Hs stats are clearly better than the others.

Fran needs to pony up an offer this kid before these other college coaches come to their senses because they are clearly wrong. That way Locure can tell Fran he is not interested in Iowa and we can return to complaining about how Fran can’t recruit PGs.

So in summary.

@tksirius has been putting up a stink about the fact that Iowa has not offered a kid for the last several months that isn’t in his estimation interested in Iowa.

He is convinced that this kid is better than a consensus 4 Star in state PG and another Iowa PG offer that has an impressive offer list. He is convinced this because he has seen him play in person and his Hs stats are clearly better than the others.

Fran needs to pony up an offer this kid before these other college coaches come to their senses because they are clearly wrong. That way Locure can tell Fran he is not interested in Iowa and we can return to complaining about how Fran can’t recruit PGs.
That was awfully dramatic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Troy Skinner had P5 offers as well. Coaches get it wrong. Do you ever make your own judgments on recruits or do you always rely on someone else's opinion?

I trust coaches more than I trust myself and random message board posters. How many times have you seen Terry play to know that Locure is obviously better than him? I just can't figure out how you are determining that.

I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys see in the film.

I also think that Fran has a proven track record of identifying talent, not to mention that no other P5 school is getting involved. Will be interesting to follow going forward.

Identifying bball t
I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys see in the film.

I also think that Fran has a proven track record of identifying talent, not to mention that no other P5 school is getting involved. Will be interesting to follow going forward.
I, as I said, have no problem going after Locure. I wouldn’t mind bringing in him along with hopefully Carton or Terry. I see the potential & talent that you guys see in the
I don't think Fran will sign DJ. He better have a back up plan. And a back up to the back up plan.

Of course he won't. Fran has yet to land a decent pg in 8 freaking years! I don't trust Fran at all when it comes to recruiting. Why would you? Outside of legacies and kids born Hawkeyes fans, who has Fran landed other than Cook (who really wasn't as good as advertised)? How come every flippin' D1 program has a better backcourt than Iowa? What other coach at a power 5 school or elsewhere has to put a guy like Ellingson at pg bc he's such a shitty recruiter??

That was awfully dramatic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
It was primarily meant for comedic purposes. I think a lot of people are having trouble following your logic here. I don’t know if you have a personal relationship with the kid or not but it just seems like you are very emotionally invested in this.

Look how long this thread and others have dragged on. Then somebody asks you if the kid is even interested in Iowa and you say you don’t think so. Doesn’t that seem even the slightest bit odd to you? If he isn’t interested in Iowa what is the point we are trying to prove here?

It was primarily meant for comedic purposes. I think a lot of people are having trouble following your logic here. I don’t know if you have a personal relationship with the kid or not but it just seems like you are very emotionally invested in this.

Look how long this thread and others have dragged on. Then somebody asks you if the kid is even interested in Iowa and you say you don’t think so. Doesn’t that seem even the slightest bit odd to you? If he isn’t interested in Iowa what is the point we are trying to prove here?
Then I said that he might be very interested in Iowa for all I know... IMO, you're making a big deal about something that really isn't that important. I've seen both Carton and Locure play in person and Locure is better IMO. I've only seen video of Terry, but he doesn't look nearly as good as the other two. I have no personal relationship with any high school players.

Of course he won't. Fran has yet to land a decent pg in 8 freaking years! I don't trust Fran at all when it comes to recruiting. Why would you? Outside of legacies and kids born Hawkeyes fans, who has Fran landed other than Cook (who really wasn't as good as advertised)? How come every flippin' D1 program has a better backcourt than Iowa? What other coach at a power 5 school or elsewhere has to put a guy like Ellingson at pg bc he's such a shitty recruiter??
He doesn’t suck nearly as bad as you do at quoting posts...

I was unaware Aaron White grew up a hawkeye fan or that they knew who the Hawkeyes were in Sudan.

But seriously he hasn’t recruited a DECENT PG?

Mike Gesell wasn’t a Decent PG? He went to 3 NCAA tournaments, including making the round of 32 as a junior and senior. He played on two different teams that at one point were ranked top 10 in the country. He was honorable mention all B1G as a senior. According to you he wasn’t even decent.

Our current PG is having a down year averaging nearly 12/5 with an assist to turnover well over 2. He was freshman all B1G last year. He’s not even decent apparently.

I totally get that we need more athleticism in our backcourt namely at the PG position. I get that and that’s a fair criticism of Fran. But holy crap some people around here have really gone off the deep end.

Then I said that he might be very interested in Iowa for all I know... IMO, you're making a big deal about something that really isn't that important. I've seen both Carton and Locure play in person and Locure is better IMO. I've only seen video of Terry, but he doesn't look nearly as good as the other two. I have no personal relationship with any high school players.
Here we sit on page 6 of a thread about D.J. Carton in which the entire thread has been about Tyreke Locure and that is do to one poster. From that you’ve gathered that I’m making this a big deal. Again, your logic escapes me.

Anyways as I said this will be interesting to watch going forward. If Fran offered Tyreke tomorrow I wouldn’t be upset because I think the potential is there. We will see how it plays out.

Here we sit on page 6 of a thread about D.J. Carton in which the entire thread has been about Tyreke Locure and that is do to one poster. From that you’ve gathered that I’m making this a big deal. Again, your logic escapes me.

Anyways as I said this will be interesting to watch going forward. If Fran offered Tyreke tomorrow I wouldn’t be upset because I think the potential is there. We will see how it plays out.
giphy.gif

He doesn’t suck nearly as bad as you do at quoting posts...

I was unaware Aaron White grew up a hawkeye fan or that they knew who the Hawkeyes were in Sudan.

But seriously he hasn’t recruited a DECENT PG?

Mike Gesell wasn’t a Decent PG? He went to 3 NCAA tournaments, including making the round of 32 as a junior and senior. He played on two different teams that at one point were ranked top 10 in the country. He was honorable mention all B1G as a senior. According to you he wasn’t even decent.

Our current PG is having a down year averaging nearly 12/5 with an assist to turnover well over 2. He was freshman all B1G last year. He’s not even decent apparently.

I totally get that we need more athleticism in our backcourt namely at the PG position. I get that and that’s a fair criticism of Fran. But holy crap some people around here have really gone off the deep end.

White was a great garbage man who hit a few 3's his last year. Jok wanted nothing more than to be a Clone, but couldn't bc Hoiberg and lefty F'd that one up (fell into Fran's lap).

Pretty telling that you're using Gesell as a recruiting accomplishment for Fran. Couldn't shoot, couldn't break down a D, horrible FT shooter (which is beyond puzzling for a PG) and i shouldn't have to remind you of him in late game situations.

Our current pg couldn't keep me in front of him right now. He's a great shooter, but who cares if you're a defensive liability against every single team you play.

White was a great garbage man who hit a few 3's his last year. Jok wanted nothing more than to be a Clone, but couldn't bc Hoiberg and lefty F'd that one up (fell into Fran's lap).

Pretty telling that you're using Gesell as a recruiting accomplishment for Fran. Couldn't shoot, couldn't break down a D, horrible FT shooter (which is beyond puzzling for a PG) and i shouldn't have to remind you of him in late game situations.

Our current pg couldn't keep me in front of him right now. He's a great shooter, but who cares if you're a defensive liability against every single team you play.
Hahaha.

Within the same breath you are arguing that Fran should not be complimented for landing legacy recruits or guys that grew up hawkeye fans, but he also should not be complimented for landing Jok, because as you say Jok wanted to go to ISU but ISU screwed it up.

Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Btw Aaron White was a very good player and hawkeye so not sure why a hawkeye fan would try to knock that. He hit 17 3s as a freshman and 21 as a senior so not sure where you pulled that thinking from.

Gesell was a good recruiting get at the time Fran landed him. All I said is that he was a decent player, which is an reasonable assessment. You are so far removed from reasonable it is hard to assess what planet you are on.

MG was less than advertised...plus, not much improvement after playing for four straight years.

He was also a classic choker and froze under duress, more often than not.

Just the way it was. I am sure he is a nice guy and all.

Mid level physical talent at PG...who couldn't shoot the FG or FT (under pressure) with much frequency.

PG recruiting is a black hole in Fran's resume...

MG was less than advertised...plus, not much improvement after playing for four straight years.

He was also a classic choker and froze under duress, more often than not.

Just the way it was. I am sure he is a nice guy and all.

Mid level physical talent at PG...who couldn't shoot the FG or FT (under pressure) with much frequency.

PG recruiting is a black hole in Fran's resume...

But he went to the tournament 3 times!!! That means he was a good PG according to Nile!!!

NCAA prowess under Fran (with or without MG) is hideous...

Iowa is a shadow of an NCAA tournament team...

MG's pound it in the ground with the right hand at 100 beats per minute...followed by a wild drive into triple coverage under the hoop...so many sighs of bewilderment...

I trust coaches more than I trust myself and random message board posters. How many times have you seen Terry play to know that Locure is obviously better than him? I just can't figure out how you are determining that.

oh my...did you have to go there?

But he went to the tournament 3 times!!! That means he was a good PG according to Nile!!!
Of course I never said he was good....

I said decent, as in average.

Fran’s recruiting of PG’s has not been a success, I fully agree with that. I hope it improves.

With that said when people come on hear spewing baseless negative posts I will call them on it. You can’t downplay Fran’s successes for no reason other than to be negative.

If people want to have a reasonable discussion on Fran’s shortcomings I’m all for it.

Latest posts