In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

Carton is going to Michigan. He loves how they develop guys for the NBA, and he wants to try for a national championship.

Carton has also stated he is high on teams that have a lot of success at the end of the year. Fran hasn't really had a lot of success at the end of the year.

I think Beilein retires at Michigan. Pistons are a dumpster fire and he has to know that. I don't think his coaching style works well in the NBA, but one thing is guys want to play for him. Just don't think that is enough to save Detroit.

Dang. Didn't see that coming but that'd be a gift to us (and rest of league) if he were to leave. They just got a recruit to commit the other day too. It never ceases to amaze me how coaches go from "I want to coach you for your 4 yrs here" to interviewing for another gig a week or less later.

I was worried about Self being the coach at this, then I remembered that Fran is there too. Having a kid ranked as high as Patrick has some great benefits

all snark aside...if you were this kid, would you wanna play for a coach that doesn't seem to value the PG position and doesn't look like he can coach his way out of a paper bag... when you've got options with so many coaches that have proven success?

is this a beilein contract year?
No but yes is kinda the answer to that. It sounds like he's currently signed through 2021 so he's at that point where coaches usually start getting contracts extended out unless your treated like Tom Davis was.

This getting interviewed by the Pistons deal smells like a negotiating tactic. A few weeks back they'd been talking about getting him an extension and just haven't finished it yet. I think this is just his way of putting pressure on the AD to probably both pay more and hurry up to get it done... I'd be tickled to be wrong but he's gotta get offered the Pistons job before he can say yes to it.... So we'll know pretty soon on this I bet

all snark aside...if you were this kid, would you wanna play for a coach that doesn't seem to value the PG position and doesn't look like he can coach his way out of a paper bag... when you've got options with so many coaches that have proven success?
It depends.. Mike G said yes to Fran and had a solid career. I for one could see the flip side of that coin from a DJs perspective and think how good could I help make this program. Coming in with Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp already there along with Patrick M maybe Foster would come too. It's not an old used car that Fran is offering this kid. He'd get to be the QB of a team that should be pretty good and stay right there close to home to do it. I for one would love to see how Fran can do with a stud PG. I think many of us expect too much from what JBos athleticism is capable of..

It depends.. Mike G said yes to Fran and had a solid career. I for one could see the flip side of that coin from a DJs perspective and think how good could I help make this program. Coming in with Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp already there along with Patrick M maybe Foster would come too. It's not an old used car that Fran is offering this kid. He'd get to be the QB of a team that should be pretty good and stay right there close to home to do it. I for one would love to see how Fran can do with a stud PG. I think many of us expect too much from what JBos athleticism is capable of..

Mike signed with Fran during the Honeymoon period, before we saw well...what we've seen.

Mike also didn't have the offers that DJ Carton will be looking at.

MG was a great Hawkeye, but one decent PG hardly tips the scales...especially in light of the last several years. This is a roster primarily loaded with slow, skinny, white guys, and when TC leaves...almost no strength inside. A great PG can't fix that by himself. I'd love Carton to sign with the Hawks, but if he doesn't I wouldn't blame him.

Last edited:
Starting to sound like he is a lock for Team USA which probably isn't the best thing for Iowa's chances.

Starting to think the blue bloods are going to get involved as well before this is all said and done. Can't imagine him at Iowa any longer really, and I probably had stronger hopes that Iowa could pull this off than most to begin with.

Latest posts