In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

I agree that it is a mistake to think we are moving on, per se, but, historically, new offers at a position often end up being a heralding sign that the coaching staff sense that prospects are slipping out of their grasps. It doesn't necessarily mean they have thrown in the towel, but they have to hedge their bets.

Understand, just thought "writing on the wall" comment was a way overboard reaction especially as it relates to DJ's status with us. If there's something to the Terry story with Stanford then, yes, I could make more sense out of a new candidate name rising.

Understand, just thought "writing on the wall" comment was a way overboard reaction especially as it relates to DJ's status with us. If there's something to the Terry story with Stanford then, yes, I could make more sense out of a new candidate name rising.

we shall see. has DJ ever listed Iowa as his favorite? nope. other pay sites saying perhaps it is (and pretty much always been) a two team battle between IU and UM. The Hoosiers are still considered a "blue blood" of sorts and I see them leading with UM right there.

I could be wrong, but I could also be right. and in recruiting when it gets established what a programs #'s 1, 2 and 3 are and they are that way for a while...then that list changes; well, that qualifies as "writing on the wall" in my book. We see it all the time in football. Iowa's pg list has changed. It's a clue, in my opinion.

Hell, I'd love to see Fran land both DJ and TL and let Connor move to the wing/pg. That would be as potent a backcourt as we've had under Fran. But I'm wouldn't put any money on that happening.

It's easy to say Iowa may not be the eventual winner when the more notable programs take aim. Anyone can make that prediction and usually be right........especially in BB.

So far DJ has not spoke to anyone about any favorites (unless you have a link to offer) so considering that I'd say everyone is offering only their opinion including the so called experts (refer to above paragraph for their often used criteria). My opinion is Iowa is in play as much as anyone at this stage.

It's easy to say Iowa may not be the eventual winner when the more notable programs take aim. Anyone can make that prediction and usually be right........especially in BB.

So far DJ has not spoke to anyone about any favorites (unless you have a link to offer) so considering that I'd say everyone is offering only their opinion including the so called experts (refer to above paragraph for their often used criteria). My opinion is Iowa is in play as much as anyone at this stage.

ohh, they're pay sites. hey, i'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong. you could very well be right. but my opinion is that if a home grown kid really wanted to sign with iowa, he would have by now. plus, the media types that do this for a living can get a sense of things when they interview a kid, especially a live interview. we shall see. there is a long time to signing day. if you are right then that would not be a bad thing.

any footage of TL tearing it up? he seems to be having an excellent AAU season. would really love to see new footage of this AAU season.

Did you take a look at noah hutchins? what'd you think?
I did check it out. Don't know anything bout him, but he definitely looks quick with handles and hops. I'm curious to know how his high school season went this last season. You know? Looks like his biggest offers are Temple & Wake Forest.

There's not a lot of on demand video of Locure's AAU play so far. I watched a little bit online of his games in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago and it was simply disgusting how lopsided the officiating was. I have theories on why, but I should probably keep them to myself. Despite all that, Locure looked pretty good.

Here is a short highlight clip from last weekend versus PMac & Terry's team:

we shall see. has DJ ever listed Iowa as his favorite? nope. other pay sites saying perhaps it is (and pretty much always been) a two team battle between IU and UM. The Hoosiers are still considered a "blue blood" of sorts and I see them leading with UM right there.

I could be wrong, but I could also be right. and in recruiting when it gets established what a programs #'s 1, 2 and 3 are and they are that way for a while...then that list changes; well, that qualifies as "writing on the wall" in my book. We see it all the time in football. Iowa's pg list has changed. It's a clue, in my opinion.

Hell, I'd love to see Fran land both DJ and TL and let Connor move to the wing/pg. That would be as potent a backcourt as we've had under Fran. But I'm wouldn't put any money on that happening.

That is funny you mention the pay site that says it is UM or IU. Kakart brought that up in his podcast and laughed. They hear it is a 3 team race of UM, Iowa and OSU.

When you follow this stuff you begin to realize that lots of times they are guessing. I said they were guessing with Wisconsin because they were. They are guessing with UM as well. Most top end BB players like DJ are going to decide in August/Sept. so I don't think it is necessarily true that if he wanted to go to Iowa he would have already committed. Gesell and Woody committed in August and September respectively.

Ultimately I don't know where he goes. I don't think Iowa is out of it, because if they were DJ would have told them that just like he told ISU and Wisconsin they weren't in contention.

That is funny you mention the pay site that says it is UM or IU. Kakart brought that up in his podcast and laughed. They hear it is a 3 team race of UM, Iowa and OSU.

When you follow this stuff you begin to realize that lots of times they are guessing. I said they were guessing with Wisconsin because they were. They are guessing with UM as well. Most top end BB players like DJ are going to decide in August/Sept. so I don't think it is necessarily true that if he wanted to go to Iowa he would have already committed. Gesell and Woody committed in August and September respectively.

Ultimately I don't know where he goes. I don't think Iowa is out of it, because if they were DJ would have told them that just like he told ISU and Wisconsin they weren't in contention.
Who knows what DJ's thinking, but Michigan and Ohio State's recent success has to way rather heavily over an Iowa team that has missed the NCAA tourney the last 2 years along with having a coach's son at point guard for the next 4 years. Does anyone know if/what type of major DJ might be looking for? I imagine that might play a role in his decision as well.

I did check it out. Don't know anything bout him, but he definitely looks quick with handles and hops. I'm curious to know how his high school season went this last season. You know? Looks like his biggest offers are Temple & Wake Forest.

There's not a lot of on demand video of Locure's AAU play so far. I watched a little bit online of his games in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago and it was simply disgusting how lopsided the officiating was. I have theories on why, but I should probably keep them to myself. Despite all that, Locure looked pretty good.

Here is a short highlight clip from last weekend versus PMac & Terry's team:

So, you're saying TL is going to commit to Iowa? You know how we Iowa fans love us some officiatin'. ;)

Who knows what DJ's thinking, but Michigan and Ohio State's recent success has to way rather heavily over an Iowa team that has missed the NCAA tourney the last 2 years along with having a coach's son at point guard for the next 4 years. Does anyone know if/what type of major DJ might be looking for? I imagine that might play a role in his decision as well.

I totally agree. I think we are in it, but that is about it.

it's all guessing until it isn't. i get it. but what i've read is DJ's mom specifically mentions IU and UM. So, kakart can laugh, but i'll base a guess on the kids mom as opposed to what a writing finds amusing.

what's your guess, deano? where does DJ go?

it's all guessing until it isn't. i get it. but what i've read is DJ's mom specifically mentions IU and UM. So, kakart can laugh, but i'll base a guess on the kids mom as opposed to what a writing finds amusing.

what's your guess, deano? where does DJ go?

I can find you a ton more flattering quotes about Iowa than I could Michigan and IU. Doesn't mean he is coming to Iowa.

I think he will go to UM, OSU or Iowa. I think that is his top 3. Of those 3 I would put Iowa in 3rd place, mostly because Fran has proven time and again he is just the bridesmaid.

I can find you a ton more flattering quotes about Iowa than I could Michigan and IU. Doesn't mean he is coming to Iowa.

I think he will go to UM, OSU or Iowa. I think that is his top 3. Of those 3 I would put Iowa in 3rd place, mostly because Fran has proven time and again he is just the bridesmaid.

swap out OSU for IU and i agree. bridesmaid. but i do think Iowa is a distant 3rd. partly because folks are indicating this is a down year in qty quality pg's. that doesn't bode well for 2nd tier B1G team.

swap out OSU for IU and i agree. bridesmaid. but i do think Iowa is a distant 3rd. partly because folks are indicating this is a down year in qty quality pg's. that doesn't bode well for 2nd tier B1G team.

I have no info or insider access to DJ, but I will run down my opinion for immediate ridicule.

I will start with Marquette. I believe Marquette made the initial cut because they are psychologically similar to Michigan. Similar colors and similar logos. I assume the Marquette coach Steve howeverthehellyouspellit must have made a good first impression. It is my opinion that the more DJ experiences Marquette the more he will be off put by a Catholic institution. I expect Marquette to be eliminated pretty early.

Indiana. Archie Miller would have to be 1 hell of a salesman to land DJ. Indiana has a fine tradition, but their current trajectory is certainly not interstellar. The slime on his family name right now and the shade that undoubtedly comes with it is alone a major obstacle. I really can't take Indiana as a serious contender here.

Xavier. Good school, good basketball program, good coach. Again thought it's a Catholic school in dirty ass Cincinnati. I would imagine another visit to Xavier will help erode the initial intrigue. I don't see them having legs in this race.

Now for the schools I believe have the best chance.

OSU. I am listing these in runner up order. I believe OSU could and might land DJ. Huge university and a culture that caters to football and basketball players. Holtmann had an amazing year 1 campaign and has the program trending towards a return to perennial contention. Ultimately though I think OSU will get antsy waiting on an Iowa kid and pull the trigger with an in state prospect who's life long dream is being a buckeye.

Iowa. I believe Iowa is in proverbial 2nd place. I think the kid has some homer lean to the University. I believe he is torn though by our last 2 seasons. No one wants to be a part of a team that experiences what we did this last season. I think DJ is comfortable with the coaches and most of our younger recruits. I think Iowa has the staying power to remain in the equation up until the decision.

Michigan. If it ended right now I would put my money on Michigan. John Beilein is one of the most likeable coaches in America. The program he has built has a feel of humble superiority. Beilein has proven that he can showcase an individual's talent while still competing at the highest level. Beilein has proven that he is a developer of young men. If a decision is to be made purely on Basketball, then I don't see how Michigan isn't the front runner.

All of these logic threads unravel quickly if one of the big 4 enters the fray. If KU, Duke, NC or Kentucky comes a calling this story will probably end up like most of its counterparts. However I do believe Iowa stays in the discussion until the very end.

I agree that it is a mistake to think we are moving on, per se, but, historically, new offers at a position often end up being a heralding sign that the coaching staff sense that prospects are slipping out of their grasps. It doesn't necessarily mean they have thrown in the towel, but they have to hedge their bets.
It could als be a way of putting a little pressure on DJ. Letting him know that the position may not be available for long. Really a lot of speculation.

It could als be a way of putting a little pressure on DJ. Letting him know that the position may not be available for long. Really a lot of speculation.
Maybe, but I doubt it.

I don't think Fran would do anything to upset the apple cart with Carton. He's too high-profile for that kind of gamesmanship.

That isn’t much leverage on a 5-Star recruit. That might work on kids worried about getting a scholarship, or even one on the borderline of high major, but not a player of this caliber who has his choice of schools. He could likely read your “tells” better than Bret Maverick!

Not sure why everyone assumes one of the Mac kids is penciled in at PG. I think the interest in OTHER PGs pretty much signals that a Mac at PG is only fall-back.

Latest posts