In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

Fran won't land Terry for sure, as it has been reported we have backed off him totally. I'm not doubting we get DJ as well.
I'm guessing we don't land a top 100 PG/CG for the rest of Fran's tenure. Unless lightning strikes in 2020/21 with a deep NCAA tourney run. He doesn't win enough games or recruit well enough to attract them.

Fran has 3 offers out to '19 point guards that are not committed to another school. It's been reported on other sites that Fran has backed off on Terry and according to DJ, Fran isn't one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. That leaves us with this guy:

Remember when Fran said losing Williams wouldn't have been an issue if Connor was healthy? Maybe Fran has an unrealistic view of CM, but Fran definitely has a pretty rosy opinion of Connor at the point. If he didn't, he'd have more offers out to point guards in the '19 class and would have actually looked into getting at least a grad transfer guard of some type, which he made it very clear he wasn't going down that road (something I predicted before Fran told the media)...
Well to be fair I think Fran saying something like that publicly is just showing confidence in CM. I think he'd have said that if about CM if his last name wasn't McCaffery too. I think that may have been a coach speak kind of deal. I wouldn't throw that at it's face value as being he totally has blinders on in regards to him.
As far as the lack of other PG offers I'm kinda out of the loop on that. As far as who all else was even out there to get etc. My only guess to that would be is he was pretty darn confident in getting one of those 3 guys he did offer and having Locure as his plan D.... It'll be interesting to see how it plays out

Connor is a good Combo Guard. So, I agree. Fran absolutely wants to land a top PG. He has shown that he will play 2 PGs at the same time, as well. I am also of the opinion that Fran won't land Carton or Terry.

Examples please. The closest thing I can come up with is Gessell and Clemmons.

Ohio State, Indiana, and Michigan are recruiting him the hardest of the out of state schools. Iowa is putting the time in on Carton. I think Iowa bombing out last year has had a bad effect on their recruitment of him. I think he sees himself as having more fun with greater opportunities somewhere else. I hope he goes to Iowa though. He can be just as successful at Iowa.

Ohio State, Indiana, and Michigan are recruiting him the hardest of the out of state schools. Iowa is putting the time in on Carton. I think Iowa bombing out last year has had a bad effect on their recruitment of him. I think he sees himself as having more fun with greater opportunities somewhere else. I hope he goes to Iowa though. He can be just as successful at Iowa.
This is why winning conference titles and deep NCAA tourney runs are important. It's also why you shouldn't give contract extensions and ridiculous buyouts to coaches that can't do either. Yet here we are.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I take it as those 3 teams are recruiting him harder than Fran.

20180602_110821.jpg

I don't take that as him saying those three schools are recruiting him harder. Why? Because it doesn't say that those three schools are recruiting him harder.

It's a given that Iowa has made him a high priority. Fran has been the head coach most present at his AAU for two years running. Heck, Beilein didn't even have a face to face with the kid until he had an in-home visit last month.

Iowa may not get Carton. In fact, with the competition for his services I would bet against the Hawkeyes.

But it's not because Fran didn't recruit him as hard as other programs.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I take it as those 3 teams are recruiting him harder than Fran.

20180602_110821.jpg

You "take" it that way because you WANT it that way. But the whole "Carton-ain't-that-good-Locure-is-the-real-deal" has gotten tiresome. And the front half of your continual take on it has been blown out of the water with the tweets Rob has posted. And Rob has pretty much clarified what has been said by Carton.

Alas, Carton will go to a blueblood...and we'll be stuck with Locure and four years of you posting about how badly Fran coached and/or misused him if he ends up a bust or head case.

You "take" it that way because you WANT it that way. But the whole "Carton-ain't-that-good-Locure-is-the-real-deal" has gotten tiresome. And the front half of your continual take on it has been blown out of the water with the tweets Rob has posted. And Rob has pretty much clarified what has been said by Carton.

Alas, Carton will go to a blueblood...and we'll be stuck with Locure and four years of you posting about how badly Fran coached and/or misused him if he ends up a bust or head case.
Speaking of head cases....

In all fairness, he took it that way because of the way Carton answered the question. It's right there in the interview transcript. He was asked a direct question and he gave the names of 3 programs in an answer to that question. Iowa was not one of the names he listed. Sorry if you "take" it in some other way. That's on you, not anyone else that can plainly read.

In all fairness, he took it that way because of the way Carton answered the question. It's right there in the interview transcript. He was asked a direct question and he gave the names of 3 programs in an answer to that question. Iowa was not one of the names he listed. Sorry if you "take" it in some other way. That's on you, not anyone else that can plainly read.

He took it that way AFTER Rob's explanation. And he has a bandwidth-chomping thread dedicated to Locure in which he slams Carton at least once per page.

Other than that, spot-on...

He took it that way AFTER Rob's explanation. And he has a bandwidth-chomping thread dedicated to Locure in which he slams Carton at least once per page.

Other than that, spot-on...
I don't think Rob as much of an insider as he is is inside this kids head anymore or less than that's publicly out there. It's just too early to make anything of what the kid said. If he were to trim his list to 3 and Iowa's not on it and those 3 he rattled off still are than some 'I told you sos' can be in order. As it sits today there's 6 teams on his list. Iowa is still on it and Fran (regardless of what some may think) is putting the full court press on trying to get him.

DJ has not said that Iowa is not among the schools recruiting him the hardest. He said in one article when asked what schools were making him a priority that he thought Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana were doing that. Fran has been at more of his AAU games than any other head coach. He knows Iowa has made him a priority. Way too much has been made of one quote from one article when on a whole he talks very highly of the Hawkeyes.

Cory Evans wrote an article (premium) for Rivals yesterday from the USA tryouts in which Carton spoke glowingly about all the schools on his list. It's a process. If he knew where he was going today, he'd commit.
The "process" that you are talking about, Rob. Don't you think it's gotten more detailed and stressful in the last ten-twenty years? Do you think it leads to earlier verbal commitments for many, and in turn, more transfers at the college level? Do you think some kids today never do truly make up their mind and silently grit their teeth through four years at a school they never wanted to be in in the first place? Does AAU ball make some Division II kids look like D1 kids and vice versa? I have three kids who played or are playing high school and middle school sports who are/were division 3 level at best and I see the demands on their time. I can't imagine what being the parent a division 1 prospect is like.

Like the make up of the roster?

The narrative is more than "Fran really doesn't want another top end PG because his son plays the same position". The narrative has been "Fran doesn't seem to place much emphasis on ball handling guards or quick guards (point guards if you will)". The roster would tend to back that up...and don't talk about the guys that left...none of them fit that need, otherwise they'd have gotten good PT.
What the hell does that have to do with what I was talking about? I was referencing the specific cynical narrative that Fran's agenda is to intentionally fail at recruiting a PG this cycle because his son plays the same position. The post had nothing to do with Fran's overall recruiting and roster make-up. Statements such as these from this thread illustrate my point:

This just strengthens my belief that Fran isn't too concerned about landing a point guard in the '19 class because he fully expects Connor to fill that role.... ;)

Like I said before, IMO we care more about landing a point guard in the '19 class than Fran does. He already has his pg for the next 4 years.

I've been as critical of Fran's PG recruiting and roster make-up as anyone, and I'm in no way defending his overall recruiting, but, in all fairness, the insinuation that he's not recruiting Carton hard because he "has his PG" is frankly asinine and baseless. As Rob pointed out, Fran has been present at more of Carton's AAU games than any interested coach, and has probably had more face time with him than any other P5 coach in the country.

As for the number of offers, it's a double-edged sword. I'm sure he has several PG offers in mind, but my guess is that he's cognizant of the possibility that offering and getting a commitment from say, Hutchens or Locure, could hurt his chances with Carton. Not having a lot of offers out doesn't necessarily imply lack of interest.

Last edited:
The "process" that you are talking about, Rob. Don't you think it's gotten more detailed and stressful in the last ten-twenty years? Do you think it leads to earlier verbal commitments for many, and in turn, more transfers at the college level? Do you think some kids today never do truly make up their mind and silently grit their teeth through four years at a school they never wanted to be in in the first place? Does AAU ball make some Division II kids look like D1 kids and vice versa? I have three kids who played or are playing high school and middle school sports who are/were division 3 level at best and I see the demands on their time. I can't imagine what being the parent a division 1 prospect is like.

It’s different for everybody. Recruiting has definitely changed since I started covering it in the early ‘90s. There wasn’t Rivals and 247. There were Van Coleman, Tom Lemming, etc. And social media changed the game a ton and continues to do so.

Kelvin Sampson got vilified for doing what coaches are legally allowed to do now. Coaches are coming at these kids non stop. You got Mr. Row the Boat pressuring kids to commit. Graduate transferring creates even more moving parts.

Latest posts